Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)

Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)
(06-12-2022, 12:11 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:
(06-11-2022, 08:03 PM)julep Wrote: .....
I find myself more indifferent to the risk than maybe I should be....

I have been somewhat indifferent since the beginning. Everyone else was freaking out, and I was as cool as a cucumber.
I have never been "freaking out" but I have done my damnedest (successfully so far) to avoid catching it. It's fair to say I'm approximately cool as a cucumber, yet not indifferent. When this thing started I was in good company here on this forum, we were all yucking it up about the knuckle-dragging conspiracy theorists who wouldn't vaccinate or mask up or avoid crowds. And now I feel like the "lone voice crying in the wilderness" even here to an extent. Not out of terror, but just concern for public health and yes my family's health.

My daughter, husband and 4 of her children = 6 people with covid and that represents a high probability that at least 1 of them will have some (potentially permanent) long covid symptoms. She's concerned about that, but fatalistic. And that is probably the mood here: concerned but fatalistic. For any of us with non-remote work or other contact with the public, that is probably actually rational, if tragic. But it also means we are seriously fucked as a society. The disability burden is far greater than recognized. It will eventually be demonstrated to be a factor over and above shit wages and working conditions, in the current labor shortage.

Messages In This Thread
Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Chas - 03-25-2020, 06:04 AM
RE: Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Aroura - 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM
£37 billion for Test & Trace. - by Inkubus - 03-10-2021, 04:05 PM
RE: Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread) - by mordant - 06-12-2022, 12:07 PM
New conspiracy - by Filox - 03-20-2020, 07:14 AM
RE: New conspiracy - by Gawdzilla Sama - 03-20-2020, 09:27 AM