Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)

Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)
(01-22-2022, 06:00 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 05:20 PM)Tres Leches Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 04:52 PM)abaris Wrote: And that means more than one in a hundred people. So, tell me, when does it stop to be acceptable in Percie's book? When it affects your parents, if they're still alive, your wife, your kids, if you have any? Or is it only acceptable if it stays well away from Percie, so he can have his fun at the games?

To sure, Covid-19 is dangerous statistically for high risk groups (and not dangerous statistically for low risk groups). I've vaccinated, so is my teenager, and nearly everyone in my circle of family of friends has been vaccinated. If you're high risk or worried about Covid-19, get vaccinated.

But why the perseveration on the coronavirus over and above all other diseases and health conditions 2 years later - long after coronavirus stopped being a new, unknown virus?

In the US, 1.6 million Americans have died of cardiovascular conditions (nearly all preventable) in 2 years.

1 in 3 deaths (about 8,000 total Americans die every day) are because of cardiovascular conditions. I dare say that, when it's time to give up the ghost, most members here will likely die of a heart attack or stroke, not Covid-19. Why the silence on this? Don't those deaths matter too? 

I reckon it's just more exciting to talk/ fight about Covid-19. Both Democrats and Republicans in the US are happy to use Covid-19 as a political cudgel and divide the populace that way. To me, this is far more concerning than the actual virus (repeat: I'm vaccinated).

On a general side note, I don't agree with @Percie on most topics but I do agree with his points on coronavirus. Like everyone here, I was very fearful of the virus when the pandemic first began. It is still a concern but, now, 2 years later with much new data and information, the fear and anger have gone away and replaced with logic. The implications that Percie might be a killer for going out in public are really quite disturbing.

-Teresa

What is required to prevent severe illness from cardiovascular disease?

What is required to prevent severe illness from Covid?

Obesity, hypertension, and diabetes are top risk factors for both. So, to answer your questions, losing weight if you're obese and controlling HTN and diabetes will help prevent severe illness from cardiovascular disease and the coronavirus. (I thought this was common knowledge.)

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 2 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • Bcat, jerry mcmasters

Messages In This Thread
Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Chas - 03-25-2020, 06:04 AM
RE: Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Aroura - 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM
£37 billion for Test & Trace. - by Inkubus - 03-10-2021, 04:05 PM
RE: Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread) - by Tres Leches - 01-23-2022, 04:03 AM
New conspiracy - by Filox - 03-20-2020, 07:14 AM
RE: New conspiracy - by Gawdzilla Sama - 03-20-2020, 09:27 AM