Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)

Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)
(01-19-2022, 12:50 AM)Dom Wrote:
(01-19-2022, 12:42 AM)Tres Leches Wrote:
(01-19-2022, 12:13 AM)Dom Wrote: What I want is to have the unvaccinated be treated at hospitals AFTER the vaccinated have been treated. From what I hear the unvaccinated are clogging up our hospitals.

I'm fully vaccinated and I disagree. Healthcare is a human right, not something that should be doled out to whom we see fit and denied to humans that we see as "others" and disease-ridden.

-Teresa

Health care IS a human right. I have a right to a hospital bed when I need one. When it comes down to weeding out who gets an ICU bed and who doesn't, I think the vaccinated go first, since purposeful rejection of medical science/advice is not the reason they are there. They have not caused their own condition on purpose.

Yes, it should not have to be that people get rejected when they need an ICU bed, but we have a pandemic and it has happened and will happen again. The choices have to be made. The unvaccinated have chosen to reject medical science, why should they be preferred over a person who respects medical science?

Pragmatically, who should decide who gets what spot in line at hospitals? Healthcare providers at these facilities are already overtaxed and telling them to police patients in emergency departments for vaccines is unreasonable. What doctor would violate the Hippocratic oath and turn their back on an unconscious patient in favor of another less critically ill patient that had their vaccine shots? 
I'm mystified why people who say push unvaccinated people to the end of the "line" are also silent on the many other people who make poor choices and clog up hospitals after accidents or medical illnesses.
It really just boils down to politics and morality judgments, which I don't think have a place in healthcare.

One day there may be people in power that decide they don't like people like me or that I'm politically offensive and immoral and thus prefer that life-saving hospital treatment should be reserved for their own kind and not me. If anybody thinks "that would never happen to me", you (plural, not just you) have a far too optimistic view of humanity.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 1 user Likes Tres Leches's post:
  • Percie

Messages In This Thread
Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Chas - 03-25-2020, 06:04 AM
RE: Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Aroura - 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM
£37 billion for Test & Trace. - by Inkubus - 03-10-2021, 04:05 PM
RE: Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread) - by Tres Leches - 01-19-2022, 01:26 AM
New conspiracy - by Filox - 03-20-2020, 07:14 AM
RE: New conspiracy - by Gawdzilla Sama - 03-20-2020, 09:27 AM