Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)

Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)
(01-04-2022, 08:31 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 07:44 PM)Tres Leches Wrote: Vaccinated people can and do get Covid-19 and then reinfected. I'm baffled why contracting this particular highly contagious disease is viewed as a moral failure.
HIV/ AIDS was and is also a contagious, preventable disease and it was the religious right-wing crazies who framed it as punishment on the immoral gays.
Death by Covid-19 is now seen by liberals as nature's punishment for being filthy Trump supporters.
The right wing was wrong with using HIV/AIDS as a moral barometer and the left is wrong for using Covid-19 as a moral barometer.

I dropped religion because I observed the hypocrisy of religion and because the religious often demand unquestioning fealty. I realize not all atheists agree on everything but I'm mystified when I hear atheists echo what I thought I escaped.

I don't think anyone here thinks people who are vaccinated and get Covid are moral failures. I certainly don't. It's the people who REFUSE to get vaccinated that I find objectionable.   They spread the virus to people who for health reasons cannot get the vaccine and who often die.  Those who refuse to get vaccinated spread it to other people who refuse to get vaccinated.   It is a heartless disregard for other people's lives and frankly, that's what I find to be a moral failure.  Every other day the we have half of 9/11 deaths occuring here in the US and at one time 2000 people a day were dying.  An 9/11 every day.    

I think what is really distrubs me is that many of these people are "Christians" and don't seem to concern themselves with the population ouside of their little Christian denomination and circle of friends.  Through sheer stubborness some Christian groups (but not all) have chosen to spread a killer virus.  How am I NOT supposed to find this immoral.
I agree that the moral failure is not in getting the disease. But there is moral failure a-plenty in the people who refuse risk mitigation tactics, in full knowledge that this is a respiratory illness. The people who won't get vaccinated, for whatever reason, and ALSO won't wear a mask, refuse to keep their distance from others, and don't get tested regularly. 

It is a further moral failure of the antivaxxers to say, "Oh, people who take care of themselves have nothing to worry about, Covid will just make them a little sick." First, that's far from the truth. Second, it's blaming the victims of Covid for, say, being diabetic or old or having a heart condition, etc., while dodging every bit of blame for spreading disease when--when a mask and a shot would have greatly reduced the antis' own potential to infect. It's utterly vile and contemptible behavior.       

There are currently record numbers (hundreds every day) of children 17 and under being hospitalized for Covid. Not just coming down with mild little colds and flus. These include anti-vaxxers' kids as well as the unfortunate kids who have to go to school with them. Besides the risk of death or long-term medical consequences, just the expenses of a hospital stay are ruinous no matter how good one's health insurance is.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/58...rd-numbers
god, ugh
The following 3 users Like julep's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Thumpalumpacus, Mr Greene

Messages In This Thread
Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Chas - 03-25-2020, 06:04 AM
RE: Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Aroura - 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM
£37 billion for Test & Trace. - by Inkubus - 03-10-2021, 04:05 PM
RE: Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread) - by julep - 01-04-2022, 10:03 PM
New conspiracy - by Filox - 03-20-2020, 07:14 AM
RE: New conspiracy - by Gawdzilla Sama - 03-20-2020, 09:27 AM