Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)

Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)
(09-23-2021, 09:37 PM)Alan V Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 07:46 PM)Percie Wrote: It's my understanding that vaccines work by developing your own immune system, specifically antibodies to the particular virus. So, if you do encounter the virus, you already have the means to fight it off.

So...why do I keep seeing headlines complaining that vaccinated people are still catching the virus? Seems to me that's a given. The vaccine doesn't make the body impervious to intake of the virus, it just gives you a head start in fighting off the virus if you do get it.

No vaccine is perfect.

Google: "CDC data released on Sept. 10 counted an average of 10.1 breakthrough cases for every 100,000 fully vaccinated people, meaning that at that time, just 0.01 percent of vaccinated individuals had a breakthrough case. This data was collected between April 4 and July 19."

Boosters will be needed at some point, as long as the virus is circulating in the general population, because the effectiveness of the vaccine declines over time.

Also, if I remember correctly, the vaccines were pretty good at imparting so much immunity that the virus was fended off before taking any hold, and that was the Alpha variant. Now, with Delta, it's a different ballgame, the virus mutated enough to circumvent the antibodies. However, with some exceptions, it can't get very far.

Future variants may have even more power to penetrate. It's going to be a race for some time, until science comes up with a durable solution. And it may never find such a solution, we still need different flu shots every year.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • Alan V, Inkubus, Gwaithmir

Messages In This Thread
Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Chas - 03-25-2020, 06:04 AM
RE: Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Aroura - 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM
£37 billion for Test & Trace. - by Inkubus - 03-10-2021, 04:05 PM
RE: Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread) - by Dom - 09-23-2021, 09:46 PM
New conspiracy - by Filox - 03-20-2020, 07:14 AM
RE: New conspiracy - by Gawdzilla Sama - 03-20-2020, 09:27 AM