Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)

Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)
(08-13-2021, 05:22 PM)Dom Wrote:
(08-13-2021, 05:03 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(08-13-2021, 01:37 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: I'm left-of-Medicare-for-all liberal so I'm always interested when other American-flavored liberals talk about "those" people who aren't vaccinated, why "they" haven't been vaccinated, and "they're" selfish dummies who deserve to die anyway, those assholes.

Who are these people, really?

In my county vaccinations rates of blacks and brown are lagging. Not many redneck Confederate flag wavers in that crowd.

And my county isn't an anomaly.

One example: In New York City, which bore the brunt of Covid-19 at the start, only 28% of young blacks are vaccinated. 28%.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/12/nyreg...rkers.html

Many of the unvaccinated will come around and get their shots, regardless of their (or your) political persuasion. I can't be the only one though who's tired of seeing and hearing Americans tear at each other. Are you contributing to the angry and violent discourse in the US today? Words matter. 

-Teresa

I stated this earlier in this thread.  Several people have compared getting the Covid vaccine with turning off the lights during the London Blitz.  If the lights were left on at night after the siren alarmed the community the Germans knew exactly where to bomb and people in and around those lighted areas would be killed in the bombing raids.    There are many reasons people aren't getting vaccinated.  Some of it is ignorance, some is religious belief, some is political, some is scepticism of the big pharmaceutical companies, and the bogus controversy over childhood vaccines causing autism which is STILL being bandied around the internet.  But my goodness, the vaccine is available in supermarkets and the local Walgreens.  It's available almost everywhere.  Perhaps it should be included at the local 7-11 and other convenient stores or maybe the gas station.  I donno, after a certain point people should take a little effort and go get vaccinated.   It's not like one has to go waaaay out of their way to get a shot in the arm.

It's not almost everywhere. It was only in my town for a couple of months, and you had to go on a list and whenever they had 20 people on a waiting list, they scheduled vaccines. And they only had J&J. Now it isn't anywhere, not enough people signing up I suppose.

It depends on where you live. I had to drive half an hour to that one, a lot of people in the smaller town near me don't even have cars. Now I would have to drive an hour. Who with a job can do that, even if they have a car? You'd need to take a day off for driving and waiting around.

If I recall correctly, and correct me if I'm wrong, you got your shot a couple months ago.   But now, as of August, the shots are available without an appointment, in a walk-in basis.  I was at Walgreens yeaterday and three people were getting their shots while I was waiting for a perscription.  They walked in and asked for the Covid shot.  They did have to fill out some paperwork regarding their age and general health information but it was without an appointment.  Unless people work 7 days a week I'd think they could get their shot on a day off or ask a friend to drive them.  Just a thought.
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, SYZ

Messages In This Thread
Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Chas - 03-25-2020, 06:04 AM
RE: Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Aroura - 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM
£37 billion for Test & Trace. - by Inkubus - 03-10-2021, 04:05 PM
RE: Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread) - by Dancefortwo - 08-13-2021, 08:07 PM
New conspiracy - by Filox - 03-20-2020, 07:14 AM
RE: New conspiracy - by Gawdzilla Sama - 03-20-2020, 09:27 AM