Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)

Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)
(07-11-2021, 05:42 PM)Tres Leches Wrote:
(07-10-2021, 01:30 PM)c172 Wrote: California to require masking in schools despite CDC's recent guidance that the vaccinated don't have to.

As a parent of a kid in California public schools, this is baloney. The schools should ask students for proof of vaccination (they already do for the other shots) and students who've had the Covid-19 shots can opt to attend school without masks. The teacher's unions give ten of millions of dollars each year to the governor and state legislature to enact their agendas and this is a political decision driven by special interests, not science. California can't force all students to wear masks forever. 

When the FDA gives full approval for the vaccines, I believe the public schools will require Covid-19 vaccinations. But there will always be a subset of students who can't get vaccinated because of allergies, or possibly the shots won't give adequate immunity to immunocompromised students. So what then? Will the schools then drop the mask regulations but still require masks for the aforementioned? Covid-19 isn't going to magically disappear one day. The school system isn't particularly forward-thinking and prefers to kick the can down the road and not deal with issues until they're forced.

There are also a number of public schools in Trump-voting conservative communities that possibly won't even enforce the mask regulation for all. "Local control". I don't know what my own child's school will do but if her school allows students to attend without masks, I will tell her she can go mask-less if she's comfortable with it.

-Teresa

Schools should treat unvaccinable covid children as they do unvaccinable measles children. Permitted when group immunity is sufficient.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Phaedrus

Messages In This Thread
Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Chas - 03-25-2020, 06:04 AM
RE: Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Aroura - 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM
£37 billion for Test & Trace. - by Inkubus - 03-10-2021, 04:05 PM
RE: Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread) - by Cavebear - 07-11-2021, 06:04 PM
New conspiracy - by Filox - 03-20-2020, 07:14 AM
RE: New conspiracy - by Gawdzilla Sama - 03-20-2020, 09:27 AM