Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)

Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)
(06-27-2021, 03:40 AM)Tres Leches Wrote:
(06-27-2021, 03:23 AM)Dom Wrote:
(06-27-2021, 02:59 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: I'm glad to see vaccination rates are high in the US and here in California it feels like the pandemic is on pause or maybe even done. About 58% of Californians are fully vaccinated, the positivity rate has been consistently 1% or less for 1-2 months, social distancing restrictions are gone, and many people (including me) have ditched their masks.

I've been disappointed though to see the US government, which has the power and resources to help other nations, do little to aid other nations in vaccinating their people. Less than 1% of Africa's 1.2 billion people are fully vaccinated. The WHO's director has repeatedly said wealthy nations need to step up and provide more aid.

We have little hope of ending the pandemic by helping only ourselves, letting millions of vaccine doses expire, and keening over red states that "only" have 40% vaccination rates while other members of the global population have no access to vaccines.

-Teresa

Oregon still has all the restrictions in place until we reach 70% vaccinated - at which time they will be lifted. This should happen within days.

Didn't Biden put distribution in the hands of an agency that deals with such things regularly?

There hasn't been much news coverage on US vaccine aid lately but the buck stops with Biden and he's ultimately in charge of the federal response. Covax is an international entity - not run by the US - which is handling vaccine aid distribution to impoverished countries.

-Teresa

I see in the news that Biden authorized 500 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine for other countries. I do not know the distribution scheme.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Tres Leches

Messages In This Thread
Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Chas - 03-25-2020, 06:04 AM
RE: Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Aroura - 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM
£37 billion for Test & Trace. - by Inkubus - 03-10-2021, 04:05 PM
RE: Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread) - by Fireball - 06-27-2021, 01:54 PM
New conspiracy - by Filox - 03-20-2020, 07:14 AM
RE: New conspiracy - by Gawdzilla Sama - 03-20-2020, 09:27 AM