Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)

Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)
(03-19-2021, 06:30 PM)Dom Wrote: I periodically hand out care packages to homeless folks. Food and hygiene stuff. They have always been polite and grateful. But yeah, I understand the fear. I am fearful walking past groups of juveniles of any description. For no real reason I guess, they just seem more unhinged than adults I suppose. Fears are often irrational, they are rooted in old instincts to be wary of the unfamiliar. Something we are struggling with as a society forever.

I'm going to start adding masks to care packages now. Hadn't thought of that. The most wanted items seem to be socks and lotion.

My last home in California was on the west end of Ventura, abutting the dry Ventura riverbed. Overgrown with bamboo-like plants (don't know what they're called), it was shelter for dozens of homeless who'd walk through my neighborhood on their ways to or from downtown, where they could get handouts and water from public fountains. I got to see a lot of them, and on a couple of New Year's Eves, I picked up a case of cheap beer at the local Von's and, walking home, handed out a beer or two.

Later did better charity work volunteering at a local food-bank/mailbox/showering facility.

There are many reasons people get homeless, and I want to be very clear here that I'm not saying all or even most are mentally-ill. I've handed food (and beers) to folks whose stories were varied.

I've also seen homeless people arguing loudly with themselves at one a.m. who made me cross the street.

I generally avoid teenagers in groups if I can, out of concern for their mental health or my own I can't really say. Smile

During our snowstorm last month, I had to drive to my sister's house in Taylor (66 miles, 1½ hours in good weather -- 5-hour round-trip then). At the intersection of TX183 and Ranch Road 620, the tent-city under the overpasses was heart-breaking. We're a better country than this.
On hiatus.

Messages In This Thread
Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Chas - 03-25-2020, 06:04 AM
RE: Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Aroura - 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM
£37 billion for Test & Trace. - by Inkubus - 03-10-2021, 04:05 PM
RE: Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread) - by Thumpalumpacus - 03-19-2021, 07:18 PM
New conspiracy - by Filox - 03-20-2020, 07:14 AM
RE: New conspiracy - by Gawdzilla Sama - 03-20-2020, 09:27 AM