Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)

Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)
(03-11-2021, 06:49 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:
(03-11-2021, 02:30 PM)SYZ Wrote: What still bemuses me is that the US has a coronavirus death rate of 1,631 per million population
(four times the global average), whilst India, with four times the US population has only 114 deaths
per million.
When comparing x/per million pop you do this exactly to factor out the total population. Hence your remark of "with four times the US population" makes no sense in this context.

You can't really argue this using hypothetical—as you did.  You also didn't really address my comment
that the US has a coronavirus death rate of 1,631 per million population, which is four times the
global average
  of 339 per million.  That's a major difference.

Another telling metric is that India has 0.53 hospital beds per 1,000 population, whilst the US
has 2.77 beds per 1,000. [OECD, 2017 data ]  This obviously means that Americans have a far
better chance of being treated for coronavirus and  surviving than do the Indian population.

Quote:Death rate (per pop) in Australia is so low, because hardly anyone catches the virus...

Well, yes, that's true as it stands.  But that's simply because—unlike the US administration—Australia's
government took early and proactive steps to bring this about.

The US coronavirus death number versus infection number is 55 people. In India that figure is 71 people.
And once again, this illustrates just how poorly the US has handled the pandemic—from day one.
[Overall figures, Worldometer, 11 March ]

Quote:In the US it's 10x more likely you catch the virus...

Citation please.  I couldn't find from where this US 10x likelihood figure originated.  And in comparison
with which other counties?  And why exactly?

—Ultimately, all these figures prove, or at least strongly suggest, is that the US has failed dismally in
confronting and controlling the virus—despite having the top clinicians, epidemiologists, and medical
facilities in the world.  That North America has been brought to its knees is at once embarrassing on
the world stage, and reprehensible in its callous disregard for its own population.

"The Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave"?      Not any more.        Sad
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Messages In This Thread
Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Chas - 03-25-2020, 06:04 AM
RE: Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Aroura - 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM
£37 billion for Test & Trace. - by Inkubus - 03-10-2021, 04:05 PM
RE: Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread) - by SYZ - 03-12-2021, 09:13 AM
New conspiracy - by Filox - 03-20-2020, 07:14 AM
RE: New conspiracy - by Gawdzilla Sama - 03-20-2020, 09:27 AM