Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)

Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)
(02-14-2021, 08:27 PM)Dom Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 08:24 PM)mordant Wrote: A very worried-looking spokesperson from the CDC emphasizes that while recent drops in new cases and deaths is encouraging, it is still falling from a VERY high level and we cannot let up on mitigation efforts. New strains and/or lowered vigilance can easily push them back up. Also, she came right out and said she feels state reopening of businesses and schools is premature.

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk...s-are?rl=1

It is so good to get honest opinions again.
Relatively, yes, but I am still getting the sense that some CDC politicization is going on, at least implicitly. The guidance they released last week about not having to quarantine after exposure if you're fully vaccinated -- even in the 10 or 11 week window 2 weeks after the 2nd shot but <= 3 months after -- strikes me as counter to the spirit of this individual's pronouncements and probably is an attempt to give a little questionable incentive for those reluctant to be vaccinated. The CDC has developed and published guidelines for reopening schools "safely" even while this woman appears uncomfortable with that.

This may represent holdovers from the last administration, internal controversy, etc. so I'm not suggesting the new administration is overtly pulling strings, much less at a high level. It is just not consistent messaging (or at least not clear communication) at this point. But you are correct: things are in this case not just less bad, but actually better.

Messages In This Thread
Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Chas - 03-25-2020, 06:04 AM
RE: Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Aroura - 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM
RE: Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread) - by mordant - 02-14-2021, 09:04 PM
£37 billion for Test & Trace. - by Inkubus - 03-10-2021, 04:05 PM
New conspiracy - by Filox - 03-20-2020, 07:14 AM
RE: New conspiracy - by Gawdzilla Sama - 03-20-2020, 09:27 AM