Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)

Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)
(02-09-2021, 01:53 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:
(02-07-2021, 04:48 PM)Dom Wrote: He joined the five other conservatives on the court. They argued the state was singling out religious institutions for stricter rules while other types of establishments have remained open under limited capacity.

I don't know all the ins and outs of California's restrictions and how they're applied, but I do agree with this reasoning. I don't like churches getting special privileges because America is so religious, but I also don't want to see them singled out for additional restrictions.

I read an article (link) that pointed out that this was comparing church activity to business activities that were not comparable to them, expanding the definition of discrimination to any restriction that differs from that of secular activities, no matter how unlike the activities. The one like activity they brought in was singing in the filming of a movie, for which those in the affirmative admitted they didn't have enough data to compare the two. This was a pro-religious ruling that went beyond mere fairness.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 3 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Dom, RobbyPants, Fireball

Messages In This Thread
Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Chas - 03-25-2020, 06:04 AM
RE: Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Aroura - 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM
RE: Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread) - by Dānu - 02-09-2021, 02:35 PM
£37 billion for Test & Trace. - by Inkubus - 03-10-2021, 04:05 PM
New conspiracy - by Filox - 03-20-2020, 07:14 AM
RE: New conspiracy - by Gawdzilla Sama - 03-20-2020, 09:27 AM