Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)

Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)
(10-05-2020, 10:30 PM)mordant Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 09:19 PM)Tres Leches Wrote: None of my county's public schools have been open since mid-March, when there were zero coronavirus cases in any school. I see the county that borders mine reopened their schools weeks ago and they have been sending out press releases when there are any school cases so our schools will probably do the same if/ when they reopen.

Interestingly, most if not all childcare centers in California have been open throughout the pandemic and few if any clusters or outbreaks - for children or adult staff - have been reported at those facilities. 

Also, I just checked the state Covid-19 website (California numbers, not "Trump numbers"). 
10% of California Covid-19 cases are ages 0-17. 
0.0% of California Covid-19 deaths are ages 0-17.

The virus is real but I'm not overwhelmingly worried about her school opening for in-person classes.

-Teresa

None of this accounts though for the risks to teachers and staff or to the old folks at home.

Some kid who is symptomless (or whose symptoms are indistinguishable for his normally runny-nosed state) but infected with Covid could take down a lot of people before / if infection is detected.

A year from now we can probably vaccinate everyone and reduce the risk to a dull roar. It would be far better overall for all concerned to stay battened down for another school year. But:

1) We won't allocate the funds to properly execute on distance learning

2) We won't allocate the funds to modify schools for social distancing, air filtration / circulation, adequate testing protocols, etc

3) We insist on not providing relief to families, forcing them to choose between risking their lives by returning to work or face financial ruin, which creates more pressure to have the schools return to their role of daytime childcare

So like everything else it's a clusterfuck.

Bolding is mine and my original comment does indeed account for teachers/ adults.

The virus numbers in California have been going steadily downward for the past month or so and insisting that public schools should stay shut for the rest of the school year - 1.5 years total - is unacceptable. A number of schools here that have reopened in counties with very low virus numbers haven't had a single coronavirus case since reopening.

In addition to the childcare facilities, schools will also reopen with precautions. The detrimental and long-lasting effects of distance learning instead of in-person instruction are far worse than opening schools with precautions.
Your point #2 is actually untrue. Schools here have exactly the same state funding this school year as last school year with zero budget cuts despite the terrible recession and state budget deficit. AND the feds provided $13 billion to be used for air ventilation, PPE, social distancing protocols, etc in the CARES act.

Coronavirus is here to stay. A vaccine - that doesn't even exist yet - won't arrive in all our mailboxes on January 1st and, even if it did, coronavirus is still here forever.

California's governor is a progressive leader who has talked in Covid-19 news conferences about the importance of quality education. I believe the powers that be in this state will shift to adapting to the virus instead of a binary open or shut way of thinking.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 1 user Likes Tres Leches's post:
  • Fireball

Messages In This Thread
Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Chas - 03-25-2020, 06:04 AM
RE: Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Aroura - 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM
RE: Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! - by Tres Leches - 10-05-2020, 11:23 PM
£37 billion for Test & Trace. - by Inkubus - 03-10-2021, 04:05 PM
New conspiracy - by Filox - 03-20-2020, 07:14 AM
RE: New conspiracy - by Gawdzilla Sama - 03-20-2020, 09:27 AM