Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)

Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)
Spoke w/my oldest surviving bro yesterday, and his son in law, daughter and their two boys all have Covid.

They are all christers, and the vector, predictably, was a virtual church service that the boys and their father, a minister, were performing. Some choir member who was infected but asymptomatic projected her virus aerosol on everyone, and Dad & the boys took it home to Mom. Others present were infected as well. In other words, a classic superspreader event, despite this being in an auditorium with 25 foot ceilings.

The father has been in the hospital for nearly two weeks. He's escaped the ventilators so far and has been given steroids. The rest of the family seems to be getting slowly better at home.

It is generally too depressing to speak w/my brother as his head is a stew of conspiracy theories and Republican talking points. As a diabetic with third stage kidney failure, he at least respects his vulnerability even while maintaining that the virus risk is "often over-stated" and media accounts "spread panic". He thinks the protests are "riots" fomented by paid "outside agitators" and that it's just 1968 all over again, except that now the media is "in favor" of it. He feels that no matter who wins the elections they will "stop the paychecks" and everything will settle down.

No, I don't even try to probe his fevered brow to figure out where all this comes from. I just accept that I have a brother with Trumpitis and a niece and her family with theologically-induced Covid.
The following 9 users Like mordant's post:
  • skyking, Dom, Thumpalumpacus, Deesse23, LastPoet, julep, brewerb, Paleophyte, Old Man Marsh

Messages In This Thread
Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Chas - 03-25-2020, 06:04 AM
RE: Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Aroura - 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM
RE: Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! - by mordant - 09-08-2020, 02:18 PM
£37 billion for Test & Trace. - by Inkubus - 03-10-2021, 04:05 PM
New conspiracy - by Filox - 03-20-2020, 07:14 AM
RE: New conspiracy - by Gawdzilla Sama - 03-20-2020, 09:27 AM