Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)

Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)
(07-20-2020, 12:52 AM)Aroura Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 02:22 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 06:52 AM)Cavebear Wrote: We may have a vaccination in a year.  We may also have a year of no schooling where children start a year behind the normal schedule.  So what?  They will graduate high school at 19 instead of 18.  Would that really matter?

THIS ^ ^ ^
I have to agree. Schools aren't baby sitting services. If it saves lives, and it will, to skip a school year, or just hold on place by doing minimal distance learning, then we should do that.

Personally, we're going to take whatever home learning option the district offers. Aside from anything else, how much guilt will the children feel if a beloved teacher dies from this? 

This is all a rock and a hard place. There is no perfect solution. I think we have to try for the option that causes the least harm, overall.

Saying school isn't a babysitting service strikes me as one of those privilege things. We're lucky enough to be in a spot where we're fine.  But a lot of families aren't working white collar jobs.  Nurses can't work from home.  Contractors can't just take time off indefinitely.  

People struggling to adjust (or maybe being unable to adjust) to a change in a societal institution that's been around for quite awhile is not just entitled complaining.  I am glad we are not opening up schools, but I am very aware that the burden of doing so falls squarely on the shoulders of poor and lower middle class people, and it's going to wreck a lot of families/homes.
The following 2 users Like jerryg's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Thumpalumpacus

Messages In This Thread
Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Chas - 03-25-2020, 06:04 AM
RE: Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Aroura - 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM
RE: Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! - by jerryg - 07-20-2020, 04:16 PM
£37 billion for Test & Trace. - by Inkubus - 03-10-2021, 04:05 PM
New conspiracy - by Filox - 03-20-2020, 07:14 AM
RE: New conspiracy - by Gawdzilla Sama - 03-20-2020, 09:27 AM