Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)

Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)
(07-18-2020, 03:50 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 12:59 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 12:47 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: I attended a zoom school district board meeting last night. I attended the first 4 hours, I'm not sure how long it lasted total. Many public comments from angry parents and students, including me. I was glad to hear the majority of comments had the exact same concerns as me with teachers faffing off the last 3 months of the last school year and little to no training on distance teaching techniques.
I'm not big on litigation at the drop of a hat, especially in our litigious society, but I predict there will be lawsuits if school campuses stay closed indefinitely. I'm looking into an online charter school that's been around for about 20 years and I think they likely have their act together more so than the traditional campuses at the moment.

Something is weird in the air this week, at least for me.

No, it's not the beans I ate for lunch.   Whistling

The initial shock of being forced to spend all day, every day cooped up inside has worn off.

It feels like some kind of threshold has been crossed. I don't have any faith that the terrible public systems in the US will improve and I'm in survival mode. My gut tells me some massively strange events are about to occur in the US.

-Teresa

(07-18-2020, 12:47 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: I predict there will be lawsuits if school campuses stay closed indefinitely.

I predict the opposite.  If schools opens in brick and morter buildings and children bring home Covid that kills one of their parents or grandparents they're going to blame the schools and sue the hell out of them.

I believe the schools are going to get the ever living fuck sued out of them regardless. It'll just be a different group suing them, depending on the circumstances. Either disgruntled parents if they stay closed or the grieving survivors if they open, and those lawsuits, even if they're defended successfully, will only make education even worse going forward.

If we can't get a handle on this pandemic by September, public education may fail completely in most, if not all, of the country. Maybe it'll be the kick in the ass we need to finally fix our sad excuse for public schools. More likely it'll just lead to more acrimonious back-biting in Washington while America's poor are shit on even more and the 1% corner the economy even more.

My thought was to start school after Winter break in January and go through the Summer.  Perhaps by January we'll have a little better handle on Covid.  That's a crap shoot though.  I'm fully aware of that.  This fall teachers, school staff and bus drivers will die and kids will bring the virus home and kill other family members.     Fun times.
                                                         T4618

Messages In This Thread
Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Chas - 03-25-2020, 06:04 AM
RE: Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Aroura - 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM
RE: Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! - by Dancefortwo - 07-18-2020, 04:33 AM
£37 billion for Test & Trace. - by Inkubus - 03-10-2021, 04:05 PM
New conspiracy - by Filox - 03-20-2020, 07:14 AM
RE: New conspiracy - by Gawdzilla Sama - 03-20-2020, 09:27 AM