Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)

Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)
(07-15-2020, 02:16 PM)Dom Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 02:12 PM)jerryg Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 07:25 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: [Emphasis added -- Thump]

Bullshit and apple-butter. The word you should be using is "discover", as in, "you discover new 'confirmed cases' by testing."

This is Trump, and you, using slippery language to mount an apologetic for this incompetent president. Testing doesn't create anything but a database.

Words have meanings. Don't try to elide the subject by ignoring the meanings of the words you're using, or sliding deliberately between two that don't mean the same thing.

"Create" and "discover" are not synonyms. Anyone with half-a-brain knows that. You're not fooling anyone, and neither is the president you adore.

You discover cases. You don't discover confirmed cases.   

Cases are out there regardless of testing.  Confirmed cases are the result of an action we take. 

Of course, the intent is not some secret hidden inside a riddle. It's pretty clear, and I imagine most non-feral folk figured it out.  Deliberate obtuseness is one of the weirder side effects of hyper partisanship.  "What is this? A center for ants!?"

It's not about testing or statistics, it's about tracing and shutting down individuals instead of economies.

It'll never happen. The US people are too self-centered.  Once NY refused to limit the travel of New Yorkers, it was over.  How are you going to do tracing, when we have groups of 10000's protesting in the streets for weeks?  You think the anarchists or people burning down targets are going to self-quarantine for 2 weeks for the good of the country?  Or the hillbillies who think it's a hoax?  Or 20 year olds aren't going to gather.

A lot of the US' response is kind of hamstrung by the stupidity of it's people.  Our motto should be "You're not the boss of me".

My point being, I absolutely agree with you on paper. But the realities of this country blow it out of the water.

Messages In This Thread
Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Chas - 03-25-2020, 06:04 AM
RE: Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Aroura - 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM
RE: Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! - by jerryg - 07-15-2020, 02:31 PM
£37 billion for Test & Trace. - by Inkubus - 03-10-2021, 04:05 PM
New conspiracy - by Filox - 03-20-2020, 07:14 AM
RE: New conspiracy - by Gawdzilla Sama - 03-20-2020, 09:27 AM