Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)

Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)
(07-11-2020, 11:15 PM)jerryg Wrote:
(07-11-2020, 10:16 PM)julep Wrote: ...

I am all for wearing masks, and making them mandatory. I just think we've completely ignored that masks are meant to limit spread if you HAVE to be out.  And the narrative of "Wear a mask!" seems to be giving some people the mental cover to justify going out for burgers as long as they wear a mask.

But maybe you said it. People are going to be dumb no matter what, so you shoot for the best you can get for.  But I think it'd be nice to have that "You're also killing people!" message for people out for non-essential reasons as well.

It’s hard.  We all probably know people whose jobs are gone because of the situation, and maybe some people feel guilty about leaving those restaurants alone for so long.   

Restaurants have been open for a couple of weeks here in Massachusetts for outdoor dining, and just this week have any restaurants indoors been open.   My family isn’t going to dine inside any restaurant.  My husband every once in a while gets a McDonald’s craving...he goes through the drive-through.  On Friday nights, we do takeout from one of our favorites.   

I totally sympathize with the feeling of longing to be around other people and hoping that masks are going to help.  People are going to be optimistic (and sometimes stupid) as long as the government lets them.

This is what we need: for the government to step in, put in place some strong rules so that we can complain about them but abide by them, so that someday we are going to be in a better a place.   I hope.
god, ugh

Messages In This Thread
Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Chas - 03-25-2020, 06:04 AM
RE: Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Aroura - 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM
RE: Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! - by julep - 07-12-2020, 12:03 AM
£37 billion for Test & Trace. - by Inkubus - 03-10-2021, 04:05 PM
New conspiracy - by Filox - 03-20-2020, 07:14 AM
RE: New conspiracy - by Gawdzilla Sama - 03-20-2020, 09:27 AM