Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)

Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)
(06-12-2020, 06:02 PM)M.Linoge Wrote:
(06-12-2020, 05:48 PM)LastPoet Wrote: I have one thing to ask my US friends (I have asked this to some shitheads in Portugal, different matters).

When are we, will be able to ignore those spreading malediction, what common folks want hear and educate them, not with insults, but with reason?

It is easy to call someone an idiot for believing sars 2 cov19 is made on lab, much more difficult is ta gain patience to explain why they are wrong, in a respectfull manner so they don't feel diminuished before the onslaught of reason. People go on the the defensive when attacked with insults. Thats my observations

When people make assertions I usually ask for a source. If they don't have one but persist anyway "it's just common sense", or can't articulate why their narrow conspiracy theory network deserves credibility above all other sources of information, that's usually when the insults start. 
Trying to argue reason with people who arrive at conclusions entirely without it, seems like the wrong approach. But I'm hardly an expert.

We've been dealing with this issue (via the creationists/ID proponents) for 20-odd years.
The position wasn't arrived at by rational means so is generally immune to rational argument (despite claims that their position is entirely rational and without logical holes) We could run circles round them and through them with logic but it made no impact.
Emotional arguments on the other hand did hit the mark, and the reactions were usually to rage-quit.
I'm not sure it's actually possible to get to point where things could be discussed rationally with the original opponent though other observers do sometimes reassess their position and come forward at a later point.
As such the 'discussion' was viewed as a staged act primarily for the benefit of a silent audience.
The following 3 users Like Mr Greene's post:
  • M.Linoge, Dancefortwo, Deesse23

Messages In This Thread
Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Chas - 03-25-2020, 06:04 AM
RE: Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Aroura - 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM
RE: Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! - by Mr Greene - 06-12-2020, 07:02 PM
£37 billion for Test & Trace. - by Inkubus - 03-10-2021, 04:05 PM
New conspiracy - by Filox - 03-20-2020, 07:14 AM
RE: New conspiracy - by Gawdzilla Sama - 03-20-2020, 09:27 AM