Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)

Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)
(04-26-2020, 12:57 AM)jerryg Wrote: You've wandered near my point.  It is unclear who is asking for the bigger sacrifice.  I'm not convinced a severe economic collapse would be a smaller sacrifice in terms of human health/well-being than a less strict approach to the virus.  

If we go full Venezuela and people are lacking food/shelter, nobody is going to pay any attention to the quarantine rules, and we'll get the worst of both worlds.  They have to make sure society doesn't collapse, which I think the "Oh, you only care about the economy" people are ignoring.

And it's not a bad point, except that releasing the kraken now, with the effect it will have on poor folk who 1) work in the service sector dealing with the public and 2) often cannot afford the insurance it would take to fight off the disease can in itself result in deeper economic fallout that can be worse than the shutdown itself.

I do know I don't trust the cunt in power to make any wise decision. The best we can hope for is that he gets lucky with the broken-clock theory. Even in monarchical France, heads rolled.

If the economy stays afloat, it will be on the backs of people who are often uninsured, are exposed more to the danger (we can't all quarantine on a yacht), and are just as angry as Trump supporters, with better reason, I think. Those who think that nothing big will change after this have a surprise coming, I think.

Any argument for social harmony has to take this into account, because folks won't forget grandma dying as a result of government inaction.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dom, Paleophyte

Messages In This Thread
Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Chas - 03-25-2020, 06:04 AM
RE: Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Aroura - 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM
RE: Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! - by Thumpalumpacus - 04-26-2020, 01:27 AM
£37 billion for Test & Trace. - by Inkubus - 03-10-2021, 04:05 PM
New conspiracy - by Filox - 03-20-2020, 07:14 AM
RE: New conspiracy - by Gawdzilla Sama - 03-20-2020, 09:27 AM