Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)

Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)
(04-03-2020, 07:51 PM)mordant Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 07:22 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: "Conservatives" seems to me like a bit of an overly broad brush.  "Americans" would be accurate or "Average people in general" but I think most people are wedded to their tribal worldviews and don't let an honest evaluation of the facts and evidence stop them.  People of all political stripes take the same "facts" (in quotes because we rarely have facts in some raw and pure form that we have access to) and selectively manipulate and interpret them to magically fit the worldview.  Maybe conservatives do it more than liberals?  I don't think it's some great amount more.

That's why I used the qualifier "generally" with "conservatives". And yes I was talking about 'Murican conservatives which is what I'm actually familiar with.

There are still old-school so-called "principled conservatives", or loosely speaking pre Tea-Party Republicans who have been basically sidelined in recent years in terms of actual influence within American conservatism, for whom "post truth" is probably too strong an appellation. They live in the vain hope that they will eventually pick up the pieces after the GOP blows itself up and begin rebuilding.

And yes you can argue that some liberals are just as deliberately blinkered for their own reasons. Indeed, we tend to argue that about each other. Progressives are silly idealists, moderates preside over a Cult of Pragmatism and independents try to float serenely above it all kind of like some agnostics like to style themselves in the (a)thesism debate.

We both know you didn’t mean “all conservatives without exception” but “generally” is still a bit of a broad brush- but I don’t want to parse vocab, my point was if your description about “conservatives” was accurate, it isn’t magically less accurate about non-conservatives.  Not by a lot, anyway!  And you seem to be clarifying that above regarding liberal progressives, moderates, and independents.

(04-03-2020, 07:51 PM)mordant Wrote: But I stand by my comments for what they actually were, which was an indictment of the intellectual dishonesty (and bankruptcy) of the current power center of the GOP. I have deliberately refrained here from addressing the power center of the Democratic Party, as I've addressed that pretty extensively elsewhere and elsewhen.

Well that’s a bit different that what you said the first time, “conservatives” “in general” presumably from the power center of the GOP to Bubba and his cousins outside Memphis.  If you’re talking just of the power centers of either party, then everything, every virtue is subordinate to power taking and power keeping.  But that’s a different issue from broad categories of people (“conservatives” “liberals” etc) being uniquely dishonest compared to another category of people.  Or if they are a more serious demonstration of it would be needed (Global warming might be fertile ground for starters though)

Messages In This Thread
Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Chas - 03-25-2020, 06:04 AM
RE: Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Aroura - 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM
RE: Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! - by jerry mcmasters - 04-04-2020, 12:21 AM
£37 billion for Test & Trace. - by Inkubus - 03-10-2021, 04:05 PM
New conspiracy - by Filox - 03-20-2020, 07:14 AM
RE: New conspiracy - by Gawdzilla Sama - 03-20-2020, 09:27 AM