Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)

Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)
(04-03-2020, 05:30 PM)mordant Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 05:15 PM)Alan V Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 04:10 PM)Rainy_D Wrote: You begging for a dictator? 
You got a problem with states handling their own healthcare issues?

Then you will need to adjust the constitution.  Good luck with that.

Trump issued a travel ban on china (and increased countries as needed).
ahead of ^^^^^ the curve that followed and against *gasp* WHO, euroweines, chinabots, libtards et al.

I don't think you actually believe a word you say.

Conservatives generally consider it optional at best that anything they say is believable by anyone who requires assertions to be substantiated with facts. They have both feet firmly planted in a post-truth era where data, evidence and facts are unimportant. Truth has given way to superficial "truthiness".

That is why I've had Rainy on ignore for months now and why I don't engage with such trolls anymore. They have made up their minds in advance. Indeed, most of them are presuppositionalists of some kind or other, most often religious fanatics.

Wasting energy on people who abandoned reality long ago is a non-starter in a world where it's hard to get even people who profess interest in reality to agree on what it is exactly in any particular context.

"Conservatives" seems to me like a bit of an overly broad brush.  "Americans" would be accurate or "Average people in general" but I think most people are wedded to their tribal worldviews and don't let an honest evaluation of the facts and evidence stop them.  People of all political stripes take the same "facts" (in quotes because we rarely have facts in some raw and pure form that we have access to) and selectively manipulate and interpret them to magically fit the worldview.  Maybe conservatives do it more than liberals?  I don't think it's some great amount more.

Personally I haven't really made up my mind on an overall grade of Trump's handling on this.  Partly because I'm not in a rush.  And because it's hard to get a clear view of a tornado from the middle of it while you're spinning around, it seems we need some time to get a proper perspective.  Results matter and we can't see what the next day will bring as far as results (Trump's actions or inactions causing damage in lives, damage in economy) much less the next, say, four months.  That's the time to look back and say Here's where results should have been much better and Here's where results could have been much worse.  Not that I'm against being on a forum where we all bang out our opinions on a moment by moment basis, obviously I'm here doing it myself.  But I'm skeptical that any of us are super accurate on the Big Picture here, not yet.

Messages In This Thread
Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Chas - 03-25-2020, 06:04 AM
RE: Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Aroura - 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM
RE: Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! - by jerry mcmasters - 04-03-2020, 07:22 PM
£37 billion for Test & Trace. - by Inkubus - 03-10-2021, 04:05 PM
New conspiracy - by Filox - 03-20-2020, 07:14 AM
RE: New conspiracy - by Gawdzilla Sama - 03-20-2020, 09:27 AM