Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)

Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)
(03-21-2020, 03:35 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(03-21-2020, 03:14 AM)brewerb Wrote: Sorry, the thought of "big brother" kind of makes my skin crawl.

Is there a reason you equate functioning government to "big brother"?

Define functioning. I think our government needs to grow or contract to meet peoples needs. To little government is bad, to much government is also bad. Right now we need the government to expand, we (our society) may have needed it for awhile. In the future we may need it to contract.

The down side will be the amount of control the helping government will take. Think about some of the historical "functioning" governments (their administrators/bureauracy) that went over the top in the name of "patriotic honor". I'm for a government that functions, provides protections and assistance, yet causes the least amount of unwanted intrusion. 

If the quote was about correcting our current political functioning shit storm then I'm for it. But the "I'm from the government, I'm here to help" sounds like someone else deciding the kind of "help" that the government thinks I need.

This may be the 60's/70's child in me coming out but this make me feel all Winston Smithy.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 2 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Alan V, jerry mcmasters

Messages In This Thread
RE: Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! - by brewerb - 03-21-2020, 01:20 PM
Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Chas - 03-25-2020, 06:04 AM
RE: Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Aroura - 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM
£37 billion for Test & Trace. - by Inkubus - 03-10-2021, 04:05 PM
New conspiracy - by Filox - 03-20-2020, 07:14 AM
RE: New conspiracy - by Gawdzilla Sama - 03-20-2020, 09:27 AM