Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)

Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)
(03-18-2020, 10:07 PM)Aroura Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 09:51 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 09:25 PM)mordant Wrote: Same situation here, chicken of any sort is gone from the fresh meat department, but seems to be a fair selection of beef and pork products. And I got literally the very last loaf of bread (apart from some Wonder Bread type hamburger buns that clearly people are going to have to get a bit more desperate to want to buy).

We did pick up some meat for the freezer today.

Yeah, hamburger buns were still available. The fresh bakery, where I get my bread, was closed. The bread aisle had zero-point-zero loaves.

I wonder how many people understand that bread and milk both have relatively short shelf-lives.

Oddly enough, for such a hard-drinking region, the beer/wine aisle was fully stocked.
If you can still get flour and yeast, you can make some bread on your own pretty easily. I have some recipes that take almost no time or effort. Your post here inspired me to start a thread to help people get through some of these specific food shortages.

I think my strategy was wrong. I went to a smaller town, Marble Falls, thinking that the outflow from Austin proper wouldn't have cleaned off the shelves. I'm going to head the other direction tomorrow and see if the stores closer to the city aren't actually better-supplied. I'm also going to go earlier in the day.

I can make bread if need be, but that's a lot of work for the bottomless pit that is my 22-year-old son. He's already been told that stew season has been extended. Convenience food is just that: a convenience.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • skyking

Messages In This Thread
RE: Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! - by Thumpalumpacus - 03-18-2020, 11:39 PM
Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Chas - 03-25-2020, 06:04 AM
RE: Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Aroura - 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM
£37 billion for Test & Trace. - by Inkubus - 03-10-2021, 04:05 PM
New conspiracy - by Filox - 03-20-2020, 07:14 AM
RE: New conspiracy - by Gawdzilla Sama - 03-20-2020, 09:27 AM