Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)

Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)
(03-05-2020, 04:07 AM)brewerb Wrote:
(03-05-2020, 01:45 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: Has anyone else been reading the comments sections of updates in the NY Times? The comments on their website are usually more intelligent and thought out but I've seen a lot of weird ones lately. These are real comments just from today. I'm going to go on another news ban.

"The death rate in the US is much higher than elsewhere, 11/153 = 7%" (A responder pointed out the denominator is unknown because of lack of testing so the actual rate is unknown.)

-Teresa

Regarding the CFR (case fatality rate) the responder is correct. I posted this in that other forum:

"I'm surprised that I'm not seeing analysis numbers from an isolated static population, the Diamond Princess ship. Confirmed cases 634 (best number that I can find) vs confirmed deaths 6 (again, best number). The death number may go up but confirmed cases are set. And I can't find (haven't looked that hard) the demographics for the confirmed cases which may effect the number of deaths. [edit] My guess is that, while never being on a cruse ship my age, health status and access to medical care will be similar."

I see that the numbers have changed, 7 dead, ~700 confirmed. (reported in the Washington Post)

19 dead now and spreading to CA. And they tell me I don't need a N95 mask... By the time it gets here, there won't be any.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

Messages In This Thread
RE: Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! - by Cavebear - 03-05-2020, 09:42 AM
Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Chas - 03-25-2020, 06:04 AM
RE: Don't panic! Be creative!!! - by Aroura - 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM
£37 billion for Test & Trace. - by Inkubus - 03-10-2021, 04:05 PM
New conspiracy - by Filox - 03-20-2020, 07:14 AM
RE: New conspiracy - by Gawdzilla Sama - 03-20-2020, 09:27 AM