Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Stupid things the religious say

(08-19-2021, 09:47 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Call me naive, but I truly  can't comprehend how an obviously  mentally challenged

individual such as Feaman can hold the political position he occupies.

The voters are every bit as stupid as he is.  In fact, they love 'em stupid.  The stupider the better.

[Image: donald-trump_3470953b.jpg]

Makes them feel less inadequate.
More to the point, they need them stupid. Spending a quarter of a second thinking about what the QOP actually says, or — Bob forbid! — actually checking to see if it's true rather than just swallowing it whole is fatal.

They've actually managed to turn a significant minority of the population of the United States into the Outer Party of Nineteen Eighty Four. War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. Oceania is at war with Eurasia. Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia. The great enemy is Eastasia. Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia. There has never been a war with Eurasia.
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 4 users Like trdsf's post:
  • Fireball, GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus, Cavebear

(08-20-2021, 03:35 AM)trdsf Wrote:
(08-19-2021, 09:47 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Call me naive, but I truly  can't comprehend how an obviously  mentally challenged

individual such as Feaman can hold the political position he occupies.

The voters are every bit as stupid as he is.  In fact, they love 'em stupid.  The stupider the better.

More to the point, they need them stupid.  Spending a quarter of a second thinking about what the QOP actually says, or — Bob forbid! — actually checking to see if it's true rather than just swallowing it whole is fatal.

They've actually managed to turn a significant minority of the population of the United States into the Outer Party of Nineteen Eighty Four.  War is peace.  Freedom is slavery.  Ignorance is strength.  Oceania is at war with Eurasia.  Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia.  The great enemy is Eastasia.  Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia.  There has never been a war with Eurasia.

I declared here and perhaps elsewhere that 1984 had finally arrived when the chump was elected, so I'm in total accord with what you are saying.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus

While I sympathize with Vulc's position the retort to it was penned by Plato, long ago.

[Image: plato1-2x.jpg]

In the case of Fuckface and his nazi thugs....incredible inferiors.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 7 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Alan V, vulcanlogician, Kim, Gwaithmir, KevinM1, Mr Greene, Cavebear

(08-20-2021, 03:39 AM)Fireball Wrote:
(08-20-2021, 03:35 AM)trdsf Wrote:
(08-19-2021, 09:47 PM)Minimalist Wrote: The voters are every bit as stupid as he is.  In fact, they love 'em stupid.  The stupider the better.

More to the point, they need them stupid.  Spending a quarter of a second thinking about what the QOP actually says, or — Bob forbid! — actually checking to see if it's true rather than just swallowing it whole is fatal.

They've actually managed to turn a significant minority of the population of the United States into the Outer Party of Nineteen Eighty Four.  War is peace.  Freedom is slavery.  Ignorance is strength.  Oceania is at war with Eurasia.  Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia.  The great enemy is Eastasia.  Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia.  There has never been a war with Eurasia.
I declared here and perhaps elsewhere that 1984 had finally arrived when the chump was elected, so I'm in total accord with what you are saying.
I have long been of the opinion that the reason Republicans are generally hostile towards public schools and finding them properly is because if their base were capable of critical thinking (not that that is taught especially well, but still), they wouldn't vote Republican anymore.
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 1 user Likes trdsf's post:
  • Fireball

They believe that with good reason.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-th...s-n1264425

Quote:At the beginning of this century, Republicans held an 11-point edge on party affiliation among college-educated voters. By the time Barack Obama was president, the figures had flipped to become a 4-point edge for the Democrats. And as President Donald Trump’s term was winding down, the numbers had come full-circle and the Democrats had a 13-point edge among college-educated voters on party affiliation.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Gwaithmir, KevinM1

Funny how never ending war, crippling debt, stagnating wages, a weakening barrier between work life and home life, a completely fucked up health care system, a botched pandemic response, and a bunch of other things have made intelligent people take notice of systemic problems and want to at least attempt to fix them. The Dems aren't perfect (by any stretch), but at the very least they pay lip service to change. Which is still better than "Nope, praise Supply Side Jesus, make healthcare even more draconian, and kill brown people both home and abroad for shits and giggles."
The following 2 users Like KevinM1's post:
  • Fireball, Gwaithmir

"I'll pray for you!" I don't need help from your imaginary friend, and fuck off. Also guess how long I've been going with out the help of an imaginary friend? And I seem to be doing pretty well, thank you very fucking much. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

By the way, why couldn't god have prevented me from being born with a genetic condition that caused a lot of severe health issues when I was a child, but somehow he can help me currently in my life with something fairly minor (which is what a certain someone said "I'll pray for you" to me for)? Seems rather odd.  Consider
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 4 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • KevinM1, Teddy, skyking, Vera

Along the lines of this is "god will never give you more than you can handle." Which is the bastard sibling of "there's a reason for everything."
The following 2 users Like KevinM1's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Vera

"All morality comes from God." (From a recent episode of The Atheist Experience I watched on YouTube. When asked for evidence that this was true, the caller kept saying, "Read the Bible!")
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

"God is the most logical explanation! By the way, Jesus is also his father."
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Alan V, Fireball

There are two things Christians said that totally shocked me in a comment section.  I still can't believe anyone, even a stupid Christian, would think this. 

1)  Men have one less rib than women because a god removed one from Adam to make Eve.    I'm not kidding.  Someone in a comment section actually thought this. 

2)  Since the world uses the dating system of AD and BC it's proof positive that Jesus was the son of a god.  

Blink....blink.....blink.  Huh?  

They apparently have never thought beyond their Christian-centric world.  The Chinese year is different.  The Inca's had a different dating system and the Jews have a another year system.  The Hindus year is different alltogether.  The only reason we use BC and AD around the world is to standardize everything for international trade.  It's a practical solution.  And as we all know BC has been replaced with BCE, and AD has been replace with CE.  Christians hate that. They get all twisted out of shape over BCE an CE.   I guess they feel all prosecuted because the world doesn't cater to their every whim.
                                                         T4618
The following 4 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Minimalist, brunumb, GenesisNemesis, Mr Greene

(11-04-2021, 11:30 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: 1)  Men have one less rib than women because a god removed one from Adam to make Eve.    I'm not kidding.  Someone in a comment section actually thought this. 

2)  Since the world uses the dating system of AD and BC it's proof positive that Jesus was the son of a god.  

Yes, both unbelievably absurd.

Men and women have 12 pairs of ribs (a few individuals have 13 or 11 pairs).
The idea that men have fewer ribs than women is widespread but wrong, perhaps
deriving from the biblical story of Eve being made from one of Adam's ribs.
Steve Harper, Lecturer in Anatomy and Physiology, Thanet Technical College, UK.

Quote:And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. (Genesis 2:21-22)

Even AiG (Answers in Genesis)  describe the claim as bullshit:  "Since the rib
fable is so readily refuted with simple anatomic facts, we wonder why many
well-meaning Christians continue to spread it.    The rib fable is definitely an
argument Christians should not use".

And...

Australian Writers’ Centre: Q&A: BC/AD vs BCE/CE
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Dancefortwo

Quote:If English was good enough for Jesus it's good enough for me.

Texas Gov. Miriam Ferguson.

"The Bible doesn't say the world is flat!" From a christian I'm presently debating on YouTube.

“And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth.” (Isaiah 11:12) Only a flat earth could have four corners, not a globe.

“”It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretched out the heavens as a canopy and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in.” (Isaiah 40:22) Clearly the description of dome over a circular, flat earth.

“He unleashes his lightning beneath the whole heaven and sends it to the ends of the earth.” (Job 37:3) Only possible on a flat earth since the surface of a globe has no “end.”

“For he views the ends of the earth and sees everything under the heavens.” (Job 28:24) Only possible on a flat earth since the surface of a globe has no “end.”

“Again, the devil took [Jesus] up to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor.” (Matthew 4:8) Not possible on a globe because of the earth’s curvature. This could only have happened on a flat earth whose features could be observed in their entirety from a very high mountain.

“When the earth and all its people quake, it is I who holds its pillars firm.” (Psalms 75:3) The earth is a flat table supported by pillars.

“And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the winds should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea nor on any tree.” (Revelations 7:1) Have you ever seen a four-cornered globe?
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

(08-20-2021, 04:08 AM)Minimalist Wrote: While I sympathize with Vulc's position the retort to it was penned by Plato, long ago.

[Image: plato1-2x.jpg]

In the case of Fuckface and his nazi thugs....incredible inferiors.

I've been surrounded by idiots most of my life. But I do have equals. Here. Thank you all.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Alan V

(11-04-2021, 11:30 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: 2)  Since the world uses the dating system of AD and BC it's proof positive that Jesus was the son of a god.  

I like this one.
Following the same logic since the world uses the norse/pagan pantheon as a convention to name the days of the week that must be positive evidence that they are all real too.
The same goes for the naming convention of the months. Even more compelling there is we know that 2 of the months are named after historical figures (who we have a plethora of evidence of their existence) who were later deified.

Happy Day of Frigg everyone!
The following 3 users Like TinyDave's post:
  • Peebothuhlu, Dancefortwo, Cavebear

(11-05-2021, 11:19 AM)Cavebear Wrote: I've been surrounded by idiots most of my life.  But I do have equals. Here.  Thank you all.

Blackadder : Well, it is said, Percy, that civilised man seeks out good and intelligent company, so that through learned discourse he may rise above the savage and closer to God.

Lord Percy : Yes, I heard that.

Blackadder : Personally, however, I like to start the day with a total dickhead to remind me I'm best.

[Image: raise-eyebrows-blackadder.gif]
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 1 user Likes Vera's post:
  • SYZ

(11-05-2021, 11:33 AM)TinyDave Wrote:
(11-04-2021, 11:30 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: 2)  Since the world uses the dating system of AD and BC it's proof positive that Jesus was the son of a god.  

I like this one.
Following the same logic since the world uses the norse/pagan pantheon as a convention to name the days of the week that must be positive evidence that they are all real too.
The same goes for the naming convention of the months. Even more compelling there is we know that 2 of the months are named after historical figures (who we have a plethora of evidence of their existence) who were later deified.

Happy Day of Frigg everyone!

Sun Day, Moon Day, Tyr's Day, Woden's Day, Thor's Day, Freya's (or Frigg's) Day, Satyr's Day... Everything comes from the past one way or other... Big Grin
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Alan V, TinyDave

(11-05-2021, 12:49 PM)Cavebear Wrote: Sun Day, Moon Day, Tyr's Day, Woden's Day, Thor's Day, Freya's (or Frigg's) Day, Satyr's Day...  Everything comes from the past one way or other...   Big Grin

They should be Onesday, Twosday, Threesday, Foursday, Fivesday, Sixesday, and Sevensday.  That way we could be more present-centered.
The following 3 users Like Alan V's post:
  • Cavebear, TinyDave, Dancefortwo

(11-05-2021, 01:10 PM)Alan V Wrote:
(11-05-2021, 12:49 PM)Cavebear Wrote: Sun Day, Moon Day, Tyr's Day, Woden's Day, Thor's Day, Freya's (or Frigg's) Day, Satyr's Day...  Everything comes from the past one way or other...   Big Grin

They should be Onesday, Twosday, Threesday, Foursday, Fivesday, Sixesday, and Sevensday.  That way we could be more present-centered.

I get your point, really. But wouldn't it get awkward referring to "Fivesday the 23rd"?

Oh damn, I just had a horrible thought. The Republicans will rename the days of the week after their political heroes...

"Godsday, Reagansday, Newtsday, Macconelsday, Trumpsday, Lincolnsday (they keep claiming him),Confederateday, and Electionfraudday... Yeah, that's 8. Why stop at 7?
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Alan V

(11-05-2021, 10:38 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote: "The Bible doesn't say the world is flat!" From a christian I'm presently debating on YouTube...

The Earth in biblical times:

[Image: EaDlagAU8AEUaXr?format=jpg&name=large]

Big Grin
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Alan V

Personally I use my own calendar which is divided into BM and AM (before Mordant and after Mordant). This proves that I, in fact, am god.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • Dancefortwo

(11-06-2021, 07:26 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(11-05-2021, 10:38 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote: "The Bible doesn't say the world is flat!" From a christian I'm presently debating on YouTube...

The Earth in biblical times:

[Image: EaDlagAU8AEUaXr?format=jpg&name=large]

Big Grin

The most notable feature of this is, like all pre-heliocentric cosmologies: it assumes that the visible world is at the center of everything.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • SYZ

(11-05-2021, 12:49 PM)Cavebear Wrote: Everything comes from the past one way or other...   Big Grin
[Image: bJ9p5za3Lo13-izmJ4OGk5F3TmccBHjoF4TOtno1...d450f94c70]
The following 3 users Like Mr Greene's post:
  • SYZ, Cavebear, Inkubus

(11-06-2021, 03:04 PM)mordant Wrote:

Personally I use my own calendar which is divided into BM and AM (before Mordant and after Mordant). This proves that I, in fact, am god.

Scientology had BH abd AH.  Before Hubbard and after Hubbard.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • mordant