Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Merry Christmas to our forum Christians!

Your boy, if he existed at all, was tortured and died horribly, in pain, alone, and confused as shit.  Everybody knows it, we know it, and deep down, you know it.  It was the common fate of such fanatics at the time, despite the goodness of their intentions and the grandeur of their delusions.  Maybe he was a nice fellow.  But he is not risen, nor Risen.  He is just dead, like billions before him and billions to come.  Sorry for the splash of cold water.
The following 5 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • adey67, GenesisNemesis, mordant, Bucky Ball, Camaro Dude

Dude's not a loaf of San Francisco sourdough, eh?
Is this sig thing on?

Io, Saturnalia!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

I like the winter solstice. The days will get longer again, and spring is on the menu next. What's not to like?
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Bucky Ball

Where's the forum Menorah?
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

It's the best thing Christianity has ever done even though you thieving bastard's stole many of the traditions from the pagans et al. Xmas food, presents etc etc. So thank you all and Happy Xmas bitches.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast
The following 1 user Likes adey67's post:
  • mordant

Merry Christmas, happy Hannukah, nice Saturnalia, etc, to all readers. Smile
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Bucky Ball, skyking

(12-25-2022, 11:14 AM)Dom Wrote: I like the winter solstice. The days will get longer again, and spring is on the menu next. What's not to like?
Trouble is they are not significantly different in length 3 or so weeks either side of Dec 21, and it takes time for the weather trends to stop going downwards and improve as that's a phenomenon that trails the changing amounts of daily sunlight.

So I don't think much about spring until spring -- well, springs. Get back to me in early April when we can be pretty sure the snow is gone for the duration!

Pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training in about 7 weeks.  A sure sign of Spring arriving.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Dānu, skyking

(12-25-2022, 04:08 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Your boy, if he existed at all, was tortured and died horribly, in pain, alone, and confused as shit.  Everybody knows it, we know it, and deep down, you know it.  It was the common fate of such fanatics at the time, despite the goodness of their intentions and the grandeur of their delusions.  Maybe he was a nice fellow.  But he is not risen, nor Risen.  He is just dead, like billions before him and billions to come.  Sorry for the splash of cold water.

I'm not sure, we have any christians left, but happy Chanukkha to @Aliza, which is celebrated today to my knownledge.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 2 users Like abaris's post:
  • Dom, Aliza

As a cultural christian, I have celebrated with my family, I have seen my parents and siblings exchanged gifts etc. In short I have spent time with the fam. Which was nice. I don't think that after this life I will see them again, so I take part in whatever I am allowed to be involved in.
For me, as I don't believe that there will be wizard, I'm looking behind the curtain but at the same time taking the yellow brick road.

Peace.
The following 3 users Like TinyDave's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Thumpalumpacus, Dom

I used to notice longer days at about January 11th. Now it's January 5th. Tongue
Test

(12-26-2022, 03:11 PM)mordant Wrote:
(12-25-2022, 11:14 AM)Dom Wrote: I like the winter solstice. The days will get longer again, and spring is on the menu next. What's not to like?
Trouble is they are not significantly different in length 3 or so weeks either side of Dec 21, and it takes time for the weather trends to stop going downwards and improve as that's a phenomenon that trails the changing amounts of daily sunlight.

So I don't think much about spring until spring -- well, springs. Get back to me in early April when we can be pretty sure the snow is gone for the duration!

The dark hours don't have to shrink significantly for me to notice it, I go to bed some 2 hours after dark or I won't be able to sleep without a serotonin supplement. Since I live alone, I just go to bed early and get up at an undogly hour. So, I notice almost daily, a minute makes a difference here. I see the daffodils coming up in February, so that isn't all that long from now, especially since time flies faster the older you get. So, it makes a difference to me.

(12-25-2022, 04:08 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Your boy, if he existed at all, was tortured and died horribly, in pain, alone, and confused as shit.  Everybody knows it, we know it, and deep down, you know it.  It was the common fate of such fanatics at the time, despite the goodness of their intentions and the grandeur of their delusions.  Maybe he was a nice fellow.  But he is not risen, nor Risen.  He is just dead, like billions before him and billions to come.  Sorry for the splash of cold water.
A day late, but Merry (fill in the blank with preferred name for said holiday)!

(12-27-2022, 12:20 AM)Dom Wrote:
(12-26-2022, 03:11 PM)mordant Wrote: Trouble is they are not significantly different in length 3 or so weeks either side of Dec 21, and it takes time for the weather trends to stop going downwards and improve as that's a phenomenon that trails the changing amounts of daily sunlight.

The dark hours don't have to shrink significantly for me to notice it, I go to bed some 2 hours after dark or I won't be able to sleep without a serotonin supplement. Since I live alone, I just go to bed early and get up at an undogly hour. So, I notice almost daily, a minute makes a difference here. I see the daffodils coming up in February, so that isn't all that long from now, especially since time flies faster the older you get. So, it makes a difference to me.

ALL THINGS THAT ARE, ARE OURS. BUT WE MUST CARE. FOR IF WE DO NOT CARE, WE DO NOT EXIST. IF WE DO NOT EXIST, THEN THERE IS NOTHING BUT BLIND OBLIVION. AND EVEN OBLIVION MUST END SOMEDAY. LORD, WILL YOU GRANT ME JUST A LITTLE TIME? FOR THE PROPER BALANCE OF THINGS. TO RETURN WHAT WAS GIVEN. FOR THE SAKE OF PRISONERS AND THE FLIGHT OF BIRDS

(12-27-2022, 01:38 AM)TinyDave Wrote:
(12-27-2022, 12:20 AM)Dom Wrote: The dark hours don't have to shrink significantly for me to notice it, I go to bed some 2 hours after dark or I won't be able to sleep without a serotonin supplement. Since I live alone, I just go to bed early and get up at an undogly hour. So, I notice almost daily, a minute makes a difference here. I see the daffodils coming up in February, so that isn't all that long from now, especially since time flies faster the older you get. So, it makes a difference to me.

ALL THINGS THAT ARE, ARE OURS. BUT WE MUST CARE. FOR IF WE DO NOT CARE, WE DO NOT EXIST. IF WE DO NOT EXIST, THEN THERE IS NOTHING BUT BLIND OBLIVION. AND EVEN OBLIVION MUST END SOMEDAY. LORD, WILL YOU GRANT ME JUST A LITTLE TIME? FOR THE PROPER BALANCE OF THINGS. TO RETURN WHAT WAS GIVEN. FOR THE SAKE OF PRISONERS AND THE FLIGHT OF BIRDS

Who said that, the bird man of Alcatraz?

(12-27-2022, 10:28 AM)Dom Wrote:
(12-27-2022, 01:38 AM)TinyDave Wrote: ALL THINGS THAT ARE, ARE OURS. BUT WE MUST CARE. FOR IF WE DO NOT CARE, WE DO NOT EXIST. IF WE DO NOT EXIST, THEN THERE IS NOTHING BUT BLIND OBLIVION. AND EVEN OBLIVION MUST END SOMEDAY. LORD, WILL YOU GRANT ME JUST A LITTLE TIME? FOR THE PROPER BALANCE OF THINGS. TO RETURN WHAT WAS GIVEN. FOR THE SAKE OF PRISONERS AND THE FLIGHT OF BIRDS

Who said that, the bird man of Alcatraz?

Death said it in the terry pratchet book reaperman
The following 2 users Like TinyDave's post:
  • julep, mordant

(12-27-2022, 10:33 AM)TinyDave Wrote:
(12-27-2022, 10:28 AM)Dom Wrote: Who said that, the bird man of Alcatraz?

Death said it in the terry pratchet book reaperman
Loved that character. He always talked in capital letters.

(12-27-2022, 10:16 PM)mordant Wrote:
(12-27-2022, 10:33 AM)TinyDave Wrote: Death said it in the terry pratchet book reaperman
Loved that character. He always talked in capital letters.

Yes, awesome character. I think he spoke in capitals because it was final.