Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy Father's Day

Happy Father's Day
[Image: Happy-Fathers-Day-BellaNaija.jpg]

Happy Father's Day
Fuckin PIMPSadcryface  Sadcryface   Sadcryface

[Image: this-pic-says-it-all-fathers-love-and-sa...448665.png]

[Image: f8f6370acdc69771c86c4e00359dc843.jpg]
The following 3 users Like TheGulegon's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Tres Leches, Phaedrus

Happy Father's Day
Pretty sure this was my son back in the day:

[Image: Right-finally-got-my-dad-to-sleep-meme.jpg]
On hiatus.

Happy Father's Day
Another Hallmark Holiday........
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • SYZ, Phaedrus

Happy Father's Day
The dad in my home is called "mom". My daughter and I are going to Santa Cruz for 5 days, partly as a father's day gift for moi.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads here!  Heart 

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom

Happy Father's Day
I'm celebrating father's day.

Not because I'm a father ... but because I don't know where my father is. Which is probably for the best.

So I'm numbing myself with alcohol and having a cheeseburger to feel better. That + having fun with my girlfriend ... and I'm feeling better. It's working! Lol.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 1 user Likes EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Phaedrus

Happy Father's Day
My dad died about 10 years ago but I still celebrate Fathers Day even though he's not around.  He gave us kids the gift of free thought.  He was an atheist himself and always encouraged us to think for ourselves but if we wanted to find out about religion it was our responsibility to do the searching, not his.  

One time we were driving our old beat up station wagon up in the Sierras Nevada Mountains, where we lived at the time, and he spotted a homeless man with raggedy clothes and no shoes. He stopped the car, did a u-turn and went over to the guy and literally gave him the shirt off his back, his pants, his coat and shoes.  My dad drove home in his underwear.  I'll never forget that.
                                                         T4618
The following 5 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Marozz, Jenny, Phaedrus, Tres Leches

Happy Father's Day
I find the day somewhat rueful and bittersweet. While listening to various celebrations of fathers and such, I am recollecting the sexual abuse I suffered at the hands of my father, and that, even setting that aside, although he was generally a good person and well intentioned outside of that, he was basically a failure as a father and a parent. It just reminds me of how much in this life is determined by mere luck of the draw and how, through no fault of my own, I was blessed or cursed with some real bad things.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 6 users Like Dānu's post:
  • SYZ, Jenny, GenesisNemesis, Phaedrus, Tres Leches, brewerb

Happy Father's Day
(06-16-2019, 08:23 PM)Dānu Wrote: I find the day somewhat rueful and bittersweet.  While listening to various celebrations of fathers and such, I am recollecting the sexual abuse I suffered at the hands of my father, and that, even setting that aside, although he was generally a good person and well intentioned outside of that, he was basically a failure as a father and a parent.  It just reminds me of how much in this life is determined by mere luck of the draw and how, through no fault of my own, I was blessed or cursed with some real bad things.

I sure am sorry you experienced that, ma'am.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Fireball, Tres Leches, brewerb

Happy Father's Day
(06-16-2019, 08:23 PM)Dānu Wrote: I find the day somewhat rueful and bittersweet.  While listening to various celebrations of fathers and such, I am recollecting the sexual abuse I suffered at the hands of my father, and that, even setting that aside, although he was generally a good person and well intentioned outside of that, he was basically a failure as a father and a parent.  It just reminds me of how much in this life is determined by mere luck of the draw and how, through no fault of my own, I was blessed or cursed with some real bad things.

Hugs my friend, I’m so sorry you went through all of that.   Hug

Happy Father's Day
Me too.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.

Happy Father's Day
Pretty mixed feelings about my father. On one hand he obviously didn't deserve his suicidal depression but on the other he was emotionally abusive at times and I had to deal with him being totally drunk whenever I went over every other weekend as a teenager. He just broke down mentally eventually and didn't want to live anymore. There were still some good times but overall it was difficult to deal with him.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Phaedrus, brewerb

Happy Father's Day
(06-16-2019, 11:10 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Pretty mixed feelings about my father. On one hand he obviously didn't deserve his suicidal depression but on the other he was emotionally abusive at times and I had to deal with him being totally drunk whenever I went over every other weekend as a teenager. He just broke down mentally eventually and didn't want to live anymore. There were still some good times but overall it was difficult to deal with him.

Hugs for you too GN. *hugs*
The following 2 users Like Jenny's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, brewerb

Happy Father's Day
My dad passed away several years ago and so this day is always a sad day for me.  He truly was a great man and I loved him so much. I think though, like dance mentioned in her post, maybe I'll start celebrating my dad's life on this day instead of trying to avoid it.   Heart
The following 4 users Like Jenny's post:
  • Dancefortwo, GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus, Phaedrus

Happy Father's Day
(06-16-2019, 11:10 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: [...] and I had to deal with him being totally drunk whenever I went over every other weekend as a teenager.

Having been the jackass myself in this situation, I can imagine the bullshit -- but to be honest I don't want to. That's a hard row to hoe.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, brewerb

Happy Father's Day
(06-16-2019, 11:30 PM)Jenny Wrote: My dad passed away several years ago and so this day is always a sad day for me.  He truly was a great man and I loved him so much. I think though, like dance mentioned in her post, maybe I'll start celebrating my dad's life on this day instead of trying to avoid it.   Heart

It ain't often I quote Theodore Driesel, aka Dr Seuss, but I'm with him when he wrote "Don't be sad that's it's over, be happy that it happened." The attribution might be apocryphal but the sentiment is real all the same.

As we all do, I think about my father on this day and others, and just wish I had expressed my gratitude better before he died.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Jenny

Happy Father's Day
(06-17-2019, 01:28 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(06-16-2019, 11:10 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: [...] and I had to deal with him being totally drunk whenever I went over every other weekend as a teenager.

Having been the jackass myself in this situation, I can imagine the bullshit -- but to be honest I don't want to. That's a hard row to hoe.

Not to mention the endless petty arguments he had with my mother over the phone.  Dodgy
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Happy Father's Day
My eldest son called today to wish me HFD. We talked for over 6 hours. That's more than we've talked in the previous 6 years.  Thumbs Up   It's mostly issues with his mother, but I get some of the outfall and lack of communications from that.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 6 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Jenny, Thumpalumpacus, jerry mcmasters, Phaedrus, Tres Leches, julep

Happy Father's Day
I feel so sorry for those of you who haven't had fathers you could love and admire. I can't imagine what you've gone through.   It makes me appreciate my father even more.  My dad wasn't a great provider and when he had a little extra money somehow he'd find someone who needed it more.  He was generous to a fault but I'd rather have that imperfection rather than a stingy, selfish man for a father.   

He reminded many people of the actor, Jimmy Stewart....a sort of a tall, skinny "aw shucks" kind of a guy. He didn't drink or smoke and played classical piano throughout his life.  As a matter of fact he sat down and played Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata three months before he died.

Yeah, he had an epic midlife crisis that kinda threw our family into some crazyness for a while but he settled down after getting through that and went back to his Jimmy Stewartish personality.   He was a lovely, lovely man.
                                                         T4618
The following 5 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, jerry mcmasters, GenesisNemesis, Phaedrus, Fireball

Happy Father's Day
(06-17-2019, 01:34 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Not to mention the endless petty arguments he had with my mother over the phone.  Dodgy

Petty arguments are the alcoholic's forte. [Image: 1ev42c.jpg]
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Happy Father's Day
(06-17-2019, 01:44 AM)Fireball Wrote: My eldest son called today to wish me HFD. We talked for over 6 hours. That's more than we've talked in the previous 6 years.  Thumbs Up   It's mostly issues with his mother, but I get some of the outfall and lack of communications from that.

I hope y'all can grow your communications back and make lemonade out of lemons. Happy Father's Day, bud.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Fireball

Happy Father's Day
Personally I'd prefer not to celebrate father's day. I'd do the obligatory call to my dad every year while he was alive but we never really talked about anything important just small talk for about 10 minutes.

My wife tries to push the kids to make some sort of deal about it but I'd really just prefer to pass the day unmarked, yesterday I made French toast for breakfast which I haven't done in a long time, I'm the only one it the house that likes it. That was the highlight of the day.

I don't really think kids should feel obligated to "thank" their fathers for basically doing their job, and while I don't think I'm a bad father, I don't really think I've done anything that would rise to the level of being praiseworthy either.
[Image: 20220702-163925.jpg]

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

The following 1 user Likes Unsapien's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Happy Father's Day
(06-16-2019, 02:53 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: [Image: Happy-Fathers-Day-BellaNaija.jpg]

My dad likes to tell the story of how I took a claw hammer to his motorbike, when I was maybe 3, as I was "helping daddy" or something. I am surprised I am still alive at this point.

Happy fathers day to all the dad's/father figures out there, and to the mom's that do it alone as well. I had a nice day with my daughter, then saw my own dad in the evening. Got my step father a card as well, as he had a big hand in raising me as well.  Thumbs Up
The following 4 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Phaedrus, Jenny, Thumpalumpacus, Fireball

Happy Father's Day
Not a fan of my own father.  The last abusive letter from him is only a few weeks old, the usual mixture of boasting, half-apologies, and threats of detectives and damnation...

However, my husband has been a great dad to our son.  We had a nice dinner out, the three of us.
god, ugh
The following 4 users Like julep's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Jenny, OakTree500, GenesisNemesis