Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game Soundtracks

Game Soundtracks
When you hear the music from some video game you've played years ago, or in my case, not so long ago, it brings back memories which can be quite profound. Hearing 80's music from Grand Theft Auto for example, obviously wouldn't take me back to a period long before I was born, but it will take me back to my transcendental home away from home, Vice City. 

Game Soundtracks
This one always takes me back to a brillant place of escapism. My first open world game and a great soundtrack, far as I am concerned.

[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • Ima Believer

Game Soundtracks
(05-14-2019, 01:37 PM)abaris Wrote: This one always takes me back to a brillant place of escapism. My first open world game and a great soundtrack, far as I am concerned.

I agree. Though it has no sentimental value for me since I've not heard of the game I did  enjoy the music. I listened to it in it's entirety in one tab while surfing in another.

Game Soundtracks
The little boink boink boink ba boink ba boink of the old Super Mario brings back such great memories of one of the classics, it's like I can hear it right now. Oh wait, it's playing in the other room.
The following 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Ima Believer, Alan V

Game Soundtracks
Last time I actually had a platform was in the actual mid-80's: an NES. My two favorites were RC-Pro Am:

...and Super Mario Bros.

Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • Ima Believer

Game Soundtracks
Some of my favorite game soundtracks are from Hotline Miami 1 & 2, as well as Borderlands 2.

I've found some good music on the various GTA games.

Game Soundtracks
(05-15-2019, 01:23 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: The little boink boink boink ba boink ba boink of the old Super Mario brings back such great memories of one of the classics, it's like I can hear it right now.  Oh wait, it's playing in the other room.

Listening to the Super Mario Brothers' music gives me flashbacks to the 1980s.
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • jerry mcmasters

Game Soundtracks
Pretty much everything Square/Square Enix did in the 90s and early 2000s.  My favorite game of all time - Xenogears (which is where my avatar comes from - had some great music by Yasunori Mitsuda (also famous for Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Xenosaga Episode I, etc.):

Xenogears itself was one of those pieces of media that came along right at the perfect time for me. I was 18 years old, had finished my first year of college (I graduated high school when I was 17), and was just kind of aimless... a physically disabled guy who had an incredibly emotionally abusive father (who I would later learn molested my cousin for years... he went to prison for it in 2001 and was released a couple years ago), had a girlfriend who at times seemed really distant (she broke up with me the next year), and was just trying to figure out how to put the pieces together. How to handle being a disabled adult and all the emotional baggage that came with it while also trying to figure out what to do with my life.

Xenogears was a game with a protagonist - Fei Fong Wong, my avatar on this forum (and others) - that was broken. Pulled in different directions, not really knowing who he really was or who he should be. I identified with him, and his struggle in the course of the game, as fantastic as it was, was really just one about him figuring out how to belong.

Everyone has that piece of media - a book, a song, a film, etc. - that resonates with them. That somehow inspires them, while also reinforcing certain things about them. Xenogears is that for me.
The following 1 user Likes KevinM1's post:
  • pocaracas

Game Soundtracks
(05-16-2019, 08:25 PM)Alan V Wrote:
(05-15-2019, 01:23 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: The little boink boink boink ba boink ba boink of the old Super Mario brings back such great memories of one of the classics, it's like I can hear it right now.  Oh wait, it's playing in the other room.

Listening to the Super Mario Brothers' music gives me flashbacks to the 1980s.

Yeah, I'm getting a bit weirded out! I liked Kid Icarus as well...

...Top Gun...

...Zelda...

...and others.
Is this sig thing on?

Game Soundtracks
Oh, my world... what have you started?!?!

Games I've spent too long listening to the music...

Stay awhile and listen

This one was just the intro, but I remember letting it play on just to listen to the whole song

Game Soundtracks
In the early 1980s every pub in Australia had a couple of Frogger game tables in the front bar...

The CRT screen was mounted horizontally under a sheet of toughened glass with a bit of extra space around the edges
for ashtrays and beer glasses.  It ended up looking like a glass topped coffee table.  I must've wasted hundreds of
hours huddled, half-pissed, over one of those bastard things!
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.