Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Damned Cops Are Out Of Control

I understand this particular thread is intended to highlight the number of
illegal and/or brutal behaviours by US police acting above and beyond their
official remit, but this video shows the opposite side of the coin.

These Wisconsin police were more than patient, polite and considerate to this
offender, who repeatedly resisted arrest and insulted them with foul abuse.

I note that the BLM and its rabid supporters would never link to this sort of
scenario in the public sphere.     I wonder why not?
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • jerry mcmasters

Because it doesn't demonstrate anything relevant. Tucker Carlson found some quiet moments in the midst of a violent riot. His doing so tells us little about the actual riot and do not justify forming conclusions such as Carlson did. Not that one couldn't draw such conclusions about January 6 or police misconduct, but rather that such isolated examples do not advance the ball towards justifying those conclusions.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Minimalist

"Dog bites man" is not news.  "Man bites dog" is news.

We know there are cops who will get a kitten out of a tree, SYZ.  The problem comes when those same cops lie to Internal Affairs when they see their buddies murder someone over a broken tail light.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • isbelldl, SYZ, Cavebear

(03-14-2023, 01:58 PM)SYZ Wrote: I note that the BLM and its rabid supporters would never link to this sort of

You should note that BLM is an advocacy group against police brutality and racism. They have no interest in linking to material that doesn't show police brutality in a racialized context. They are not a "police intervention auditing" group (those exists btw, they are quite popular in libertarian circles and there is several popular Youtube Channels of them; I would recommend you Audit the Audit if you are interested in that sort of stuff). BLM is an anti-police brutality/racism groups. They don't care when things go right; they are supposed to go like that. That's what's expected and demanded from the police. They care when they go wrong because they often do and they care about how police is used in general to insure public safety.

You could also note that Amnesty International is an advocacy group concerned with civil and political liberty. You will note that they do not link to what is done "correctly", we are supposed to know what respecting human rights is nor do they present links discussing biodiversity and animal wellfare. That's not their concern.

I wonder why some people can't simply accept that. What is so mysterious about advocacy group discussing and talking about their subject? I suspect that it's because those people feel attacked when the police is criticized for they fear marginalized people violence far more than State violence.
The following 4 users Like epronovost's post:
  • airportkid, Minimalist, Dānu, isbelldl

It's like Groundhog Day....

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/17/nyreg...ce-nj.html

Quote:Police Pleaded for Hours With a Man in Crisis. Then They Shot Him.

New Jersey’s attorney general said that the man, Najee Seabrooks, tried to attack Paterson officers with a knife. They fatally shot him, renewing criticism of using armed officers to deal with people in distress.

Quote:For hours, the Paterson police pleaded with Najee Seabrooks to come out of a locked bathroom where he was threatening to kill himself.
“Everybody’s walking out of here, including you,” one of the officers told him, according to video from police body cameras released by the New Jersey attorney general’s office this week.
“I’m dying in this bathroom,” said Mr. Seabrooks, a 31-year-old mentor at an anti-violence organization in Paterson, a city of 158,000 people in northern New Jersey.

“That’s not happening, Najee,” the officer replied. “Not on my watch. Come on. You’re going to live a long time. This ain’t how it ends for you.”

Looks as if Najee was right all along!

It just seems more routine these days to read about police abusing citizens, and I don't understand why. There are cameras all over the place. Some are on buildings and catch police abusing people. Some are used by individuals recording police abusing individuals. How can the police not understand they are being recorded?

I don't understand why police abuse individuals. I used to think that they did because most of the people they encountered in daily life were criminals. But more and more of the people they abuse, on camera, seem to be innocent. What is going through their minds?

Is it a 007 mentality (licensed to kill)? That they have serious weapons and an obsession to use them? I read in The Washington Post of a police squad in Washington DC who are essentially proven to drag people out of their cars, beat them brutally and plant guns in the scene. What makes people do that?

It isn't even racial. Black police to that to other blacks and whites to it to other whites. It's a non-racial police issue. They just want to beat up people, protected by law.

That has to stop. Take a few police who kill innocent victims and hang them in public. A good example goes a long way.
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

Because the system and culture they operate in was constructed before all those cameras..and, fwiw, people who think they're doing The Right Thing don't generally worry that it might be filmed.
The following 1 user Likes Rhythmcs's post:
  • Cavebear

(03-18-2023, 01:47 PM)Rhythmcs Wrote: Because the system and culture they operate in was constructed before all those cameras..and, fwiw, people who think they're doing The Right Thing don't generally worry that it might be filmed.

That they think they are doing the right thing is the scariest part. How can pulling people out of their car for no reason and beating them to death and planting or declaring false evidence ever be right? I don't want THOSE police to represent or protect me. I'm white and law-abiding and I'm am frightened by them. It has to stop.
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Minimalist

https://www.rawstory.com/philadelphia-wi...20-unrest/

Quote:The city has agreed to pay a combined $9.25 million to hundreds of people teargassed, struck with rubber bullets, and detained by police during the 2020 racial justice protests after the police murder of George Floyd. In a settlement order signed Monday by U.S. District Magistrate Judge David R. Strawbridge, the city agreed to pay plaintiffs in four federal civil rights lawsuits, as well as contribute $500,000 to a fund that will provide counseling to victims of police violence and offer community-led programming. 

But according to the Philadelphia Inquirer only one cop was fired for all this.  Talented fuck to do all that damage.  I'm surprised they didn't promote him instead.

Apparently in fucking Missouri this is "close enough" for police work.

https://nordot.app/1014188124212412416?c...7532812385

Quote:KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Independence, Missouri, officers who shot and killed a 39-year-old man last year may have mistaken a pill bottle hidden in the victim’s waistband for a pistol, according to Missouri State Highway Patrol investigation transcripts released by the family’s attorney.
The incident has come under scrutiny in recent weeks as video footage of the shooting shared by the attorneys shows Independence police struggling to determine whether Tyrea Pryor, 39, was reaching for a weapon before his death.
Thursday, Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters Baker said in a statement that “it was indisputable Pryor did not have a gun in his hand,” but, due to the “reasonable belief” that a threat was being posed to police, the case will not be criminally prosecuted.

"Reasonable belief" my ass.

More fine police work!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65176984

Quote:Irvo Otieno: Death of man in police custody ruled a homicide

Quote:The death of a man in police custody has been ruled a homicide by asphyxiation by Virginia officials following a formal autopsy.
Irvo Otieno, a 28-year-old black man, died on 6 March while being transferred from a jail to a mental health facility.
A video of the transfer shows police and hospital staff piling on top of Mr Otieno before his death.
Seven deputy sheriffs have been charged with second-degree murder.
Three hospital staff are also facing similar charges in connection to Mr Otieno's death.
An official autopsy conducted by Virginia's Office of the Chief Medical Examiner found that Mr Otieno had died of "positional and mechanical asphyxia with restraints", the office said on Monday.

The medical examiner's office said in a statement that the death had been ruled a homicide.

This will be another big civil suit.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Cavebear

(04-04-2023, 04:10 PM)Minimalist Wrote: More fine police work!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65176984

Quote:Irvo Otieno: Death of man in police custody ruled a homicide

Quote:The death of a man in police custody has been ruled a homicide by asphyxiation by Virginia officials following a formal autopsy.
Irvo Otieno, a 28-year-old black man, died on 6 March while being transferred from a jail to a mental health facility.
A video of the transfer shows police and hospital staff piling on top of Mr Otieno before his death.
Seven deputy sheriffs have been charged with second-degree murder.
Three hospital staff are also facing similar charges in connection to Mr Otieno's death.
An official autopsy conducted by Virginia's Office of the Chief Medical Examiner found that Mr Otieno had died of "positional and mechanical asphyxia with restraints", the office said on Monday.

The medical examiner's office said in a statement that the death had been ruled a homicide.

This will be another big civil suit.

WHAT is with these guys? Do they not understand video tape? Or do they just think no one cares?

They think they can do whatever the fuck they want.  Such arrogance has been brought on by courts and politicians kissing their asses for the last 40 years.

Just like this gang of local assholes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/20...Bk9i0P4CVo

Quote:Ariz. city pays $200K settlement to woman falsely accused in hit-and-run

Yessenia Garcia flagged down officers to report that her car had been vandalized, but police arrested her instead

Yessenia Garcia and her boyfriend turned to police in May 2020 after a vandal shattered the windshield of her car. Instead of helping, those officers accused Garcia of being involved in a hit-and-run with a pedestrian, arrested her and took her to jail, where she spent the night.

Nearly three years later, Garcia settled a federal lawsuit for $200,000 last week with the city of Scottsdale, Ariz., its police department and the officers who arrested her in an incident first reported by KNXV. In 2021, Garcia filed the suit in the U.S. District Court of Arizona, with claims of false arrest, negligence and denial of due process.

“Yessenia is totally innocent,” her attorney, Benjamin Taylor, told The Washington Post. “… She reached out to Scottsdale police for help as a victim, and she ended up being victimized.”

Big mistake....reaching out to the pigs for help!
  • Cavebear

(04-11-2023, 03:22 AM)Minimalist Wrote: Just like this gang of local assholes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/20...Bk9i0P4CVo

Quote:Ariz. city pays $200K settlement to woman falsely accused in hit-and-run

Yessenia Garcia flagged down officers to report that her car had been vandalized, but police arrested her instead

Yessenia Garcia and her boyfriend turned to police in May 2020 after a vandal shattered the windshield of her car. Instead of helping, those officers accused Garcia of being involved in a hit-and-run with a pedestrian, arrested her and took her to jail, where she spent the night.

Nearly three years later, Garcia settled a federal lawsuit for $200,000 last week with the city of Scottsdale, Ariz., its police department and the officers who arrested her in an incident first reported by KNXV. In 2021, Garcia filed the suit in the U.S. District Court of Arizona, with claims of false arrest, negligence and denial of due process.

“Yessenia is totally innocent,” her attorney, Benjamin Taylor, told The Washington Post. “… She reached out to Scottsdale police for help as a victim, and she ended up being victimized.”

Big mistake....reaching out to the pigs for help!

The sad thing is that even as an older white male, I am now more afraid of a police stop than I am of a criminal attack. I don't go anywhere where I am likely to meet a criminal. All, they want is my wallet and/or car. But I do go where police are around all the time. And if they think I are a threat (for any reason), they will kill me. Sit on my neck until I suffocate, beat me, taser me, spray me. Kick me to pieces.

It doesn't matter if I am guilty or anything or not. They will plant a gun in my car. They will plant drugs in my car. Whatever they need to do to justify their actions. And they don't even care about body-cams.

And is far worse for minorities... This has to stop.

Speaking of which - here's Georgia and Capital Punishment by Bed Bug!

https://www.wjhg.com/2023/04/13/family-w...rney-says/

Quote:Family wants answers after man ‘eaten alive’ by bed bugs in county jail, attorney says

ATLANTA (WANF/Gray News) - A family attorney in Georgia says a man died at a county jail after being “eaten alive by insects and bed bugs.”
According to attorney Michael D. Harper, LaShawn Thompson was at the Fulton County Jail for three months before he was found dead in a jail cell.
“What Mr. Thompson was housed in was not fit for a diseased animal,” Harper said. “He did not deserve this.”
Thompson was arrested on a misdemeanor battery charge in Atlanta in June 2022. He was taken to the Fulton County Jail and placed in the psychiatric wing after officials determined he had mental issues.

Anyone want to place bets on what color LaShawn Thompson was?

Every American taxpayer who lives in a jurisdiction with a police force should be issued a jar of KY Jelly for when the inevitable happens!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada...gn=KARANGA

Quote:Minneapolis to pay $9m for Derek Chauvin misconduct claims

Quote:Minneapolis has agreed to pay nearly $9m (£7.2m) to settle lawsuits filed by two black residents against Derek Chauvin.
Both residents, who were arrested in 2017, said Chauvin had pressed his knee into their necks - the same tactic that killed George Floyd three years later.
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey apologised to all the victims.
He said if supervisors had fired Chauvin six years ago, Floyd would be alive.
  • Cavebear

(03-14-2023, 01:58 PM)SYZ Wrote: I understand this particular thread is intended to highlight the number of
official remit, but this video shows the opposite side of the coin.

These Wisconsin police were more than patient, polite and considerate to this
offender, who repeatedly resisted arrest and insulted them with foul abuse.

I note that the BLM and its rabid supporters would never link to this sort of

Good for the Wisconsin police. Huzzah and hurray. They acted properly! Why did no one mention it? Because that is what they are supposed to do. Yeah, you don't get a lot of mention for doing your job right.

I never criticize the police for doing their jobs properly. I indeed respect almost all of them for dedication to duty and protecting the public. I just object to those who are unnecessarily violent and biased. And too many of those get away with it for too long. Those and only those deserve disrespect and trials.

SYZ,

If you truly understood this:

Quote:I understand this particular thread is intended to highlight the number of
official remit,

then THIS would not be so puzzling to you:

Quote: I wonder why not?

Dog bites man is not news.  Man bites dog is news.

Whoops....just another little cop screw up!

https://nordot.app/1020107566882701312?c...7532812385

Quote:Video shows New Mexico police were at wrong house seconds before killing homeowner

New Mexico police officers realized they were at the wrong address just moments before the front door opened and they fatally shot the armed homeowner, then exchanged gunfire with his wife, according to newly released body camera video of the April 5 shooting.
Robert Dotson, 52, was killed by police in Farmington, New Mexico, on April 5, after officers responding to a domestic violence report arrived at the wrong house.
The Farmington Police Department released several videos on Friday, including footage captured by body cameras worn by the three officers who fired their weapons.

It's okay though because the pigs said they were "sorry."

Quote:"Once again, we wish to express our condolences to the Dotson family and as your chief of police, I wish to convey how very sorry I am that this tragedy occurred," Police Chief Steven Hebbe said in a statement accompanying the release.

Shitty Cops Get Re-Cycled...Even After They Are Fired!

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opin...-rcna81403

Quote:Twenty-seven months after he was fired, former Louisville police officer Myles Cosgrove is back on the job like he never shot Breonna Taylor. Cosgrove recently started a law enforcement job in Carroll County, about an hour northeast of the Kentucky city where he was once employed.

Quote:The Louisville Metro Police Department fired Cosgrove for failing to properly “identify a target” while shooting 16 rounds into Taylor’s apartment the previous year during a botched narcotics raid, violating the department’s use-of-force procedures, and failing to use a body camera. But he remained eligible to police in Kentucky, as the Kentucky Law Enforcement Council voted in 2022 not to revoke his police certification.

Good luck to the (especially minority) citizens of Carroll County.  You're going to need it with this fucking cowboy around.

Preserving and Protecting the Public Right Up The Ass.....

https://www.al.com/news/huntsville/2023/...dence.html

Quote:Alabama police officer arrested for allegedly planting evidence

Quote:Michael Kilgore, a 39-year-old officer with the Centre Police Department, allegedly unlawfully handled and planted evidence.

He was arrested Wednesday on charges of criminal conspiracy to commit a controlled substance crime-distribution.

“We are very disappointed in Kilgore’s conduct,” said Centre Police Chief Kirk Blankenship. “There is no excuse for any officer violating the law like this.”

Somehow I bet they weren't so disappointed when he was bringing in "evidence" to back up his arrests, though.

I suspect that the good citizens of Knoxville are about to get a first class butt-fucking over this one.

Four heroic cops couldn't figure out how to summon an ambulance for a 60 year old woman who repeatedly told them she was in medical distress.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/loca...201029007/

Quote:Three of the four Knoxville police officers involved in the arrest of 60-year-old Lisa Edwards, who collapsed in police custody and later died, have been disciplined.
  • Sgt. Brandon Wardlaw, the first to arrive at the hospital, was demoted to officer.
  • Officer Timothy Distasio, who was driving Edwards to jail when she lost consciousness, was suspended without pay for 10 days.
  • Officer Adam Barnett was suspended without pay for four days.
Transportation officer Danny Dugan did not violate any departmental policies, according to a Knoxville Police Department report.
After the arrest, all four were placed on paid suspension. None will lose their jobs.

But according to Internal Affairs, only minor disciplinary action was needed!

An excellent piece of investigative journalism from ProPublica....about how a major police department investigates... or fails to investigate... a police shooting.

https://www.rawstory.com/police/

Quote:Video showed cop trying to stop his partner from killing a man. Police investigators never even asked about the footage.

Quote:[/url]Investigating America’s Largest Police Force
[url=https://www.propublica.org/series/the-nypd-files]
In the spring of 2019, two New York City Police Department officers entered the Bronx apartment of Kawaski Trawick. The 32-year-old personal trainer and dancer had called 911 after locking himself out.
But 112 seconds after their arrival, footage showed, one of the officers shot and killed Trawick, despite the officer’s more-experienced partner repeatedly telling him not to use force.
When an internal investigation later cleared the officers — saying “no wrongdoing was found” — the NYPD offered no explanation for its reasoning. But records obtained by ProPublica can now reveal how the department came to that conclusion.
Investigators never explored key exchanges between the two officers in the run-up to the shooting. They also never followed up with the officers when their accounts contradicted the video evidence.
“Any conversation between you and your partner?” the head of the investigative unit asked Officer Herbert Davis hours after the shooting.
“No,” Davis answered.
That wasn’t true.
After arriving at Trawick’s apartment and finding him holding a stick and a bread knife, body-worn camera footage shows that Davis, who is Black, told his less-experienced white partner, Officer Brendan Thompson, not to use his Taser. “Don’t, don’t, don’t,” he said, motioning for Thompson to step back.
Thompson fired his Taser anyway, causing Trawick to become enraged, and Davis then tried to stop Thompson from shooting Trawick. “No, no, don’t, don’t, don’t, don’t, don’t,” Davis said, before briefly pushing Thompson’s gun down.
The investigators had access to all that footage. They never asked either officer about it.

Scam investigations by scam investigators.

Surprised they didn't fire the guy for trying to deescalate his warrior cop buddy.

"repeatedly added to the confusion of an already tense scene" sounds about right for his disciplinary refferal.