Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Damned Cops Are Out Of Control

What will doubtless be many examples of police misconduct by the guys who are supposed to "protect and serve."

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-...story.html

Quote:A Brooklyn jury handed down a $6.25 million verdict in the case of a lawyer who was badly roughed up and arrested during an encounter with cops in Family Court.

Kenneth Perry — who says the 2011 incident left him in near-constant pain — won the verdict late Thursday following a three-week trial.

Quote:Perry, a veteran criminal defense lawyer, objected, telling the detectives not to question his client outside of his presence. One of the detectives started yelling at him and threatened to arrest him.
“Arrest me for what?” Perry answered.
The cops threw him against a wall, slamming his head. Outside the courtroom, the officers slammed him into the side of a police car. Perry spent 20 hours locked up, and had to wait for four months before the trumped-up charges were dismissed.

Luckily there was video of the incident to counter the lies of the fucking cops.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 5 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Old Man Marsh, abaris, Joods, Mark, Phaedrus

This didn't take long.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/26/us/st...ss&emc=rss

Quote:St. Louis Officer Charged in Fatal Russian Roulette Shooting of Another Officer, Authorities Say

Officer Hendren had been on duty when he met Officer Alix, who was off duty, at his home on Thursday and the two began playing with guns, according to a statement of probable cause.

Just what you need the cops to do.  Play with guns like a couple of 14 year olds.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Mark

What exactly are you doing dude? This is the second thread of yours where there's no conversation going at all just you posting up tons of stuff without any real context or balance. Are you just trying to frenzy up a mob?

First these threads seem to constitute spam,

Second while I don't really disagree with you on either one you're painting an awful one sided picture.

Three, I've already lost interest in both of these topics thanks to the overly biased way you're approaching them.

Do you need a Xanax? You ok? Take a deep breath dude.
The universe doesn't give a fuck about you. Don't cry though, at least I do.
The following 2 users Like JesseB's post:
  • Mad Hatter, Free

It's Min. You get used to it.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • JesseB, TheGentlemanBastard

Quote:What exactly are you doing dude?

A discussion of police misconduct would be delightful.  Sometimes I wonder what it will take for other people to get concerned about the Blue Crime Wave which is criss-crossing the nation?  Until that happens, I'll just keep posting examples and see who wants to engage.

Perhaps you would like to start?
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Phaedrus

(01-26-2019, 07:44 PM)Minimalist Wrote:

A discussion of police misconduct would be delightful.  Sometimes I wonder what it will take for other people to get concerned about the Blue Crime Wave which is criss-crossing the nation?  Until that happens, I'll just keep posting examples and see who wants to engage.

Not really, it would be pointless. For the most part I agree with you already, though sometimes mistakes are made and cops end up with a bad rap when they actually didn't do anything wrong. And #not all cops of course though it's just a tricky subject. I do agree far too many are just thugs with badges.

Spent enough time in two major epicenters of the gang war, and more often than not both gangs seem bout just as bad when you're on the streets with em (oh did I say gangs? I meant the war between drug pushers and cops lol.... it's so easy to get confused when they both act alike lol)

And I do care, I care greatly about any authoritarian power.

I've never seen you budget an inch off your position.

(01-26-2019, 09:45 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

I've never seen you budget an inch off your position.

Yea.... a discussion where one or both sides never move an inch isn't much of a discussion is it? More like talking at someone and not talking with them.

Here in Australia, in the state of Victoria, we've had a bunch of traffic cops reprimanded
and/or suspended for falsifying roadside alcohol breath tests—at "booze buses" as we call
them.  Apparently they were under an unpublicised quota system for a specific number of
tests per shift, and needed to speed up the process to comply.

I cite this scenario simply because I believe that like any profession, whilst there is a majority
of responsible, honest employees, there's inevitably a tiny minority of irresponsible, dishonest,
unethical people employed.  It'd be unrealistic to expect the police force to be any different.

I also think this topic header "The Damned Cops Are Out Of Control" is over-emotive, unfair,
prejudiced, and totally misrepresents LEOs everywhere—at least in developed western countries.

And anybody posting a contentious topic like this really needs to suggest an alternative to the
current system of law and order and its application if they truly believe it has major flaws.

So... Minimalist?
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Mediocharist

I'm appalled by the unlawful use of force and deception by police officers. It is a really problem and way more widespread than anyone would want to believe. Do these threads move us closer to changing that? Who knows but they need to be called one this shit regularly and no one should assume they're in good hands with the police as things stand now. Perception matters.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 1 user Likes Mark's post:
  • Phaedrus

Quote: Yea.... a discussion where one or both sides never move an inch isn't much of a discussion is it? More like talking at someone and not talking with them.

If that's what floats your boat, go to it.  I'd love to see someone display the balls to defend police brutality for a change instead of saying "they shouldn't have run."

(P.S.  There is no jurisdiction in the country where running from a cop is a capital offense.... especially when the cop appoints him or herself judge, jury, and executioner.)

Even liberals seem to need a group or groups to demonize.

(01-27-2019, 04:27 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Even liberals seem to need a group or groups to demonize.

My nephew is a police officer. I like watching shows like Live PD because it gives us a real perspective on the daily going on's during patrols in some areas. However, that said, I do not feel like the police policing themselves should include shooting first and asking questions later. Police brutality happens. And when it does happen, it should be brought to the attention of the public. Every single victim of a police shooting, had families that will never see their loved ones again, yet the cop gets to go home at night to their families. Where's the justice in that? 

Are all police bad? Of course not. That's a silly question. But the ones who are should be called out and I'm okay with that. It's a thread here just like any other. I advise people to do the following: Read and participate in the threads you find interesting or appealing. Scroll by the rest. People getting mad because this thread exists sorta miss the point of a forum.
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.
The following 2 users Like Joods's post:
  • Old Man Marsh, Mark

Hey Minimalist... you've ignored my implied question to you...

Quote:And anybody posting a contentious topic like this really needs to suggest an alternative to the
current system of law and order and its application if they truly believe it has major flaws.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(01-27-2019, 04:40 AM)Joods Wrote:
(01-27-2019, 04:27 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Even liberals seem to need a group or groups to demonize.

My nephew is a police officer. I like watching shows like Live PD because it gives us a real perspective on the daily going on's during patrols in some areas. However, that said, I do not feel like the police policing themselves should include shooting first and asking questions later. Police brutality happens. And when it does happen, it should be brought to the attention of the public. Every single victim of a police shooting, had families that will never see their loved ones again, yet the cop gets to go home at night to their families. Where's the justice in that? 

Are all police bad? Of course not. That's a silly question. But the ones who are should be called out and I'm okay with that. It's a thread here just like any other. I advise people to do the following: Read and participate in the threads you find interesting or appealing. Scroll by the rest. People getting mad because this thread exists sorta miss the point of a forum.
Who is that you think is getting mad?

Min may take it to an extreme that is questionable on its own terms, but I think there is room for threads which are just recounting news items of interest without them being considered spam. The question is whether we need so many of them. And that's a judgement call which I'm not sure should be in anybody's hands.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Vera, Joods

Are all police bad? Of course not. That's a silly question. But the ones who are should be called out and I'm okay with that.

^^^
This.

The best thing good police officers can do to restore public confidence is call out bad cops.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 2 users Like Mark's post:
  • Joods, Fireball

(01-26-2019, 09:53 PM)JesseB Wrote: Yea.... a discussion where one or both sides never move an inch isn't much of a discussion is it? More like talking at someone and not talking with them.

[Image: tenor.gif]
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • Fireball, Mark

(01-27-2019, 11:43 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

It's pretty obvious.
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.

Are you going to defend police brutality.... or just try to play your statistical games to excuse it?

(01-27-2019, 02:52 PM)Joods Wrote:
(01-27-2019, 11:43 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(01-27-2019, 04:40 AM)Joods Wrote: My nephew is a police officer. I like watching shows like Live PD because it gives us a real perspective on the daily going on's during patrols in some areas. However, that said, I do not feel like the police policing themselves should include shooting first and asking questions later. Police brutality happens. And when it does happen, it should be brought to the attention of the public. Every single victim of a police shooting, had families that will never see their loved ones again, yet the cop gets to go home at night to their families. Where's the justice in that? 

It's pretty obvious.

Care to share? Or is innuendo good enough?

(01-27-2019, 06:02 PM)Minimalist Wrote:

Are you going to defend police brutality.... or just try to play your statistical games to excuse it?

You mean the fact that every person in this country has a 1/110,000,000 chance of being killed by a policeman on any given day?
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • SYZ

(01-27-2019, 07:19 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(01-27-2019, 06:02 PM)Minimalist Wrote:

You mean the fact that every person in this country has a 1/110,000,000 chance of being killed by a policeman on any given day?

I actually do appreciate the service of those police who really do serve without letting the power go to their heads.  But until the good ones start calling out the bad ones, they bear some responsibility for that abuse of power.
F. D.
The following 1 user Likes Mark's post:
  • Joods

How many times do the good cops out the bad ones and it doesn't make news?

(01-27-2019, 02:39 PM)Mark Wrote: The best thing good police officers can do to restore public confidence is call out bad cops.

A system of accountability that relies on "snitching" doesn't inspire me confidence.