Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why was today a good day 2.0

Got my new PC! Yay! Installed Windows, tinkered with all the fiddly adjustments that always have to be made, it didn't recognise my second hard disk but I fixed that too... Now only have to make sure the colours are ok (I need to edit my photos, you know... even though I lost everything from the old hard disk... still trying to rescue something with some data recovery software but it doesn't look good) and will be good to go...

... and probably start working on my newest book hobo

Good to be sitting on a desk again (even though it was also fun staying in bed with the laptop and cuddling with the cat)
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 

Vera, I also got a new PC! Instead of looking for parts, I bought a small off-the-shelf Acer Aspire pre-loaded with Windows 10, and a 24" Benq monitor. I just finished unpacking the monitor about an hour ago, and am back in action after my previous home system had a near-death experience.

Instead of a way-too-big gaming tower with a moribund hard drive and frightfully noisy fans, I now have a case half that size, massive amounts of screen real estate running on HDMI, and a SSD instead of a HDD. (I'll deal with the old system later this weekend, liberating files to a backup device, and then perhaps set it up as a Linux box with a nearly-new hard drive from my parts stash.)

It feels so weird not building my own system, though... I've been tinkering with computer hardware since the mid-1980s.
The following 1 user Likes Astreja's post:
  • Vera

(10-16-2021, 02:39 AM)Astreja Wrote: Vera, I also got a new PC!  Instead of looking for parts, I bought a small off-the-shelf Acer Aspire pre-loaded with Windows 10, and a 24" Benq monitor.  I just finished unpacking the monitor about an hour ago, and am back in action after my previous home system had a near-death experience.

Instead of a way-too-big gaming tower with a moribund hard drive and frightfully noisy fans, I now have a case half that size, massive amounts of screen real estate running on HDMI, and a SSD instead of a HDD.  (I'll deal with the old system later this weekend, liberating files to a backup device, and then perhaps set it up as a Linux box with a nearly-new hard drive from my parts stash.)

It feels so weird not building my own system, though... I've been tinkering with computer hardware since the mid-1980s.

I was gonna get one off the shelf too but my cousin decided to assemble me one (virtually) so who was I to say no Blush

Right after I ordered it, my ten-year-old one died (mebbe with a little help from me, who knows girl blushing ), one disk was fine but the other's gone. With all my photos on it (yep, I don't use the cloud)... tried to salvage some with disk drill but it's a pain in the ass and is taking forever and the amount of crap on that poor thing! Like, it managed to save a photo of a drag queen from a gay club I went to the first time I was in Rio. Obciously, the most important one! Hell, there was even a picture if Gawdzilla Sama, from my browser history apparently. I gave up and bid my photos goodbye... I do have the most important ones on fb and instagram, so...

The new one is great. I'm not a gamer or an artist who uses massively demanding software (the most demanding programs I run are my android emulator and my photo editor (not even photoshop, gimp) so everything's flying Thumbs Up
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 1 user Likes Vera's post:
  • Astreja

(10-17-2021, 02:50 PM)Vera Wrote: Right after I ordered it, my ten-year-old one died (mebbe with a little help from me, who knows  girl blushing ), one disk was fine but the other's gone. With all my photos on it (yep, I don't use the cloud)... {snip}

The new one is great. I'm not a gamer or an artist who uses massively demanding software (the most demanding programs I run are my android emulator and my photo editor (not even photoshop, gimp) so everything's flying  Thumbs Up

Yay for the GIMP!  It does everything I need, photo-wise.  I haven't installed it on the new 'puter yet, but will be doing so in the next couple of days.

Condolences on the loss of the photos.  I lost a huge batch about five years ago, after scanning and shredding some old family photos but before I could archive them to DVD or to the cloud.  HDD went rogue on me, started clicking the infamous Click of Death, and then became completely unresponsive.   Weeping

Today's "Why was today a good day":  My daughter and I finished some decorative work around the new sidewalk in the back yard (edging it with polished river stone and topsoil).  The yard is actually starting to look pretty good.
The following 1 user Likes Astreja's post:
  • Vera

I got to speak with my atheist nephew in Maine for nearly an hour this afternoon.  Smile
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Astreja, skyking

(10-17-2021, 10:48 PM)Astreja Wrote:
(10-17-2021, 02:50 PM)Vera Wrote: Right after I ordered it, my ten-year-old one died (mebbe with a little help from me, who knows  girl blushing ), one disk was fine but the other's gone. With all my photos on it (yep, I don't use the cloud)... {snip}

The new one is great. I'm not a gamer or an artist who uses massively demanding software (the most demanding programs I run are my android emulator and my photo editor (not even photoshop, gimp) so everything's flying  Thumbs Up

Yay for the GIMP!  It does everything I need, photo-wise.  I haven't installed it on the new 'puter yet, but will be doing so in the next couple of days.

Condolences on the loss of the photos.  I lost a huge batch about five years ago, after scanning and shredding some old family photos but before I could archive them to DVD or to the cloud.  HDD went rogue on me, started clicking the infamous Click of Death, and then became completely unresponsive.   Weeping

Today's "Why was today a good day":  My daughter and I finished some decorative work around the new sidewalk in the back yard (edging it with polished river stone and topsoil).  The yard is actually starting to look pretty good.

Never shred old photos, one never knows.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

(10-17-2021, 10:48 PM)Astreja Wrote: Yay for the GIMP!  It does everything I need, photo-wise.  I haven't installed it on the new 'puter yet, but will be doing so in the next couple of days.

Yeah, gimp is great, isn't it? Free and doesn't hog half your computer and has everything I need (and more... I'm learning as I go along, total amateur, but figuring stuff out is half the fun).

Sorry about your photos too! I'm most sorry about the flowers I'd snapped and hadn't processed yet but there weren't too many usable photos so I'm not too upset...

My reason why it was a good day: I finally saw some blue skies and sun today! Yay! Even managed to snap some flowers and bees by the roadside. For someone who lives closer to Africa than to a lot of European countries, I ain't used to clouds and rain on end for so long (like, 10-14 days)!

Got a falafel wrap and baklava from a middle eastern place, that's fortunately still in business here. Good food, and the baklava is especially delicious. Big Grin

Also got my flu shot.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Vera, skyking

This morning I wasn't feeling great, but if I canceled my homemaking appointment, it would have screwed up the rest of my week. So I pushed through it. Now I get to relax and watch baseball.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

(10-18-2021, 10:59 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Got a falafel wrap and baklava from a middle eastern place, that's fortunately still in business here. Good food, and the baklava is especially delicious. Big Grin

Also got my flu shot.

My aunt makes a mean baklava... I didn't use to be a fan (too sugary) but it's really good in small doses....

We have incorporated a whole lot of "oriental" dishes and cooking techniques in our cuisine (5 centuries as part of the ottoman empire and sharing a peninsula would do that) and I'm rather partial to a lot of them... Even Turkish coffee is very popular here (my mum's favourite, actually).

Here's "sand coffee". I've actually seen it made in real life, really cool (to watch, I'm not much of a coffee drinker, seeing as it has no effect on me Dodgy )

• GenesisNemesis

(10-18-2021, 11:47 PM)Vera Wrote:
(10-18-2021, 10:59 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Got a falafel wrap and baklava from a middle eastern place, that's fortunately still in business here. Good food, and the baklava is especially delicious. Big Grin

Also got my flu shot.

My aunt makes a mean baklava... I didn't use to be a fan (too sugary) but it's really good in small doses....

We have incorporated a whole lot of "oriental" dishes and cooking techniques in our cuisine (5 centuries as part of the ottoman empire and sharing a peninsula would do that) and I'm rather partial to a lot of them... Even Turkish coffee is very popular here (my mum's favourite, actually).

Here's "sand coffee". I've actually seen it made in real life, really cool (to watch, I'm not much of a coffee drinker, seeing as it has no effect on me Dodgy )

Baklava is the one and only very sweet thing I actually enjoy. And I love Turkish coffee, and tea. There used to be vendors walking around in Istanbul with trays of fresh brewed coffee and tea. It comes sweetened, and again, it's the only way I like mine sweetened. They do know how to use sweet...

The US cake frostings for instance are very sweet, and I detest them and used to scrape them off, much to the dismay of onlookers.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(10-19-2021, 01:09 AM)Dom Wrote:
(10-18-2021, 11:47 PM)Vera Wrote:

Also got my flu shot.

Baklava is the one and only very sweet thing I actually enjoy. And I love Turkish coffee, and tea. There used to be vendors walking around in Istanbul with trays of fresh brewed coffee and tea. It comes sweetened, and again, it's the only way I like mine sweetened. They do know how to use sweet...

The US cake frostings for instance are very sweet, and I detest them and used to scrape them off, much to the dismay of onlookers.

We used to have Muslim neighbors and they gave us some baklava as a gift one time. First time I had it, but that was the most delicious baklava I've had so far. Since then it's been one of my favorite sweets. Haven't had Turkish coffee yet but I'd like to.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Vera

(10-19-2021, 01:56 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Haven't had Turkish coffee yet but I'd like to.

It's quite strong... and leaves a small heap of ground coffee beans on the bottom of your cup so you can have your fortune told, like with tea leaves  Big Grin  Which I've had (my fortune read in a coffee cup, I mean; also my palm, as well as a taro reading in Brazil once.  Big Grin )

I really like the pots in which Turkish coffee is made, cezve (pronounced with a dzh sound ). But of course, pretty much everything made of copper is beautiful.

[Image: lots-of-copper-turkish-cezves-at-market-...7EpRAF6eU=]

I even had my aunt whom I was visiting when I made them, dig up an old jezve from the basement, in order to photograph my origami coffee beans (she even found an old - Albanian - coffee grinder Big Grin )

The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • Dom, GenesisNemesis

(10-19-2021, 01:56 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(10-19-2021, 01:09 AM)Dom Wrote:
(10-18-2021, 11:47 PM)Vera Wrote: My aunt makes a mean baklava... I didn't use to be a fan (too sugary) but it's really good in small doses....

We used to have Muslim neighbors and they gave us some baklava as a gift one time. First time I had it, but that was the most delicious baklava I've had so far. Since then it's been one of my favorite sweets. Haven't had Turkish coffee yet but I'd like to.

Turkish coffee is good and quite easy to make - I used to do it myself and discounting first time it always tasted well. Best to buy very finely grinded coffee though, unless you have quality grinder.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(10-20-2021, 05:21 PM)Vera Wrote:
(10-19-2021, 01:56 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Haven't had Turkish coffee yet but I'd like to.

It's quite strong... and leaves a small heap of ground coffee beans on the bottom of your cup so you can have your fortune told, like with tea leaves  Big Grin  Which I've had (my fortune read in a coffee cup, I mean; also my palm, as well as a taro reading in Brazil once.  Big Grin )

I really like the pots in which Turkish coffee is made, cezve (pronounced with a dzh sound ). But of course, pretty much everything made of copper is beautiful.

[Image: lots-of-copper-turkish-cezves-at-market-...7EpRAF6eU=]

I even had my aunt whom I was visiting when I made them, dig up an old jezve from the basement, in order to photograph my origami coffee beans (she even found an old - Albanian - coffee grinder Big Grin )

We had a coffee grinder like that at home, we picked it up on travels, but I don't remember where, I was too young to pay much attention.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Getting rid of old electronics ain't exactly the easier thing here ('cause, hey, Bulgaria Dodgy ), I mean, I think one cant take stuff to the big electronics selling chains and there are companies one call and stuff but it's way more of a hassle than it should be...

Anyway, someone in my small town's municipality had the great idea to organise a campaign where you call them and tell them what you've got and they come and pick it up. So they just did and I got rid of three (yep!) computer monitors, a bunch of others stuff (incl. my first modem, dear lord!)... and the old fridge! Yay!

[Image: IMG-20211103-113505.jpg]
Giggle

Also, it was a lovely, lovely day, with 20C and a bright blue sky (what the whole of October should have been!)

Now, if only if it wasn't already dark at six... and if only I managed to do all my planned pages for day more than one day in a row...
  • GenesisNemesis

I just got another book to translate and, believe it or not, it's not a romance novel, nor a crappy YA fantasy one. It's this one: The Creakers by Thomas Michael Fletcher "an English singer, musician, songwriter, composer, author and vlogger. He is one of the lead vocalists and rhythm guitarist of English pop rock band McFly".

[Image: 9780593104606]

(I'm fully prepared for it to be twee and/or pretentious and/or cutesy (yeah, I'm a deeply cynical person) but at least it won't have freaking pages describing a single freaking kiss! Or love scenes in books for teens so instead of the usual pistoning rods (I am NOT making this up! Dodgy ) I literally had a sentence during a PG-13 love scene that went "Magnus did that thing that Alec really liked" and I almost spit my tonsils laughing)

It also appears to be rather short so I might just start on it tomorrow and be done by the end of the year.
The following 3 users Like Vera's post:
  • Dom, mordant, GenesisNemesis

I finally went biking today, after almost two weeks of no biking, due to rains and snow and nasty, nassssty winds Dodgy It's still 0C today, but at least it was sunny and the wind was... tolerable. I didn't do my usual 30km, only 20km, but still! (I even had new episodes of my favourite audio-dramas to listen to!)

[Image: giphy.gif]
  • GenesisNemesis

Met up with my son for the first time in a few months, he's doing well. He has a job, a flat and a boyfriend.
Wouldn't have believed it 12 months ago. ?
The following 3 users Like Thingymebob's post:
  • Vera, Bcat, GenesisNemesis