Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Euthanasia: a good and gentle death

So much for shopping ones suicide abroad. Leastwise, one can't take for granted that what you do legally there will not cause your most helpful loved one(s) a big legal hassle. For fuck's sake.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.

(02-08-2019, 08:35 PM)Mark Wrote: So much for shopping ones suicide abroad.  Leastwise, one can't take for granted that what you do legally there will not cause your most helpful loved one(s) a big legal hassle.  For fuck's sake.

You can do it in the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brittany_Maynard

And she is not the only one by far. And there are people to help you. And it's all legal. And it won't even show as such on your death certificate.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Mark, SYZ

Certainly a very moving—and brave—story framed with Btittany's own words, and at such a time of overwhelming illness.

But I was disgusted to read the fucking Vatican's response—both untimely and offensive to all involved.

"A top Vatican official mentioned her [Brittany's] decision to die in the context of reiterating the Catholic Church's position
on the right-to-die debate, noting that, "Suicide is not a good thing. It is a bad thing because it is saying no to life and to
everything it means with respect to our mission in the world and toward those around us."

How dare the Vatican—a hot bed of celibate, ignorant old paedophile enablers—make this sort of pronouncement as though
it's the sole global arbiter of ethics and morals.  Especially considering the sexual depravity of thousands of its priest across
the planet.

As far as I'm concerned, filthy old men who wear dresses, and who seriously believe as factual that some bloke was resurrected
after being dead for three days totally disqualifies them from having any right to comment about euthanasia or the right to die.
And if these hypocrites are genuinely [sic ] so concerned about people dying from terminal illnesses, then how come they don't
get their cunt of a god to intercede and heal them?

And yes; it does anger me.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Dom

The state where I live, Victoria, will become the first Australian state in the country to legalise assisted dying for the terminally ill,
with state MPs voting to give patients the right to request a lethal drug to end their lives from mid-2019.  

People choosing to access voluntary assisted dying must meet the following requirements:

1. They must have an advanced disease that will cause their death and is:

likely to cause their death within six months (or within 12 months for neurodegenerative diseases like motor neurone disease) and
   causing the person suffering that is unacceptable to them.

2. They must have the ability to make a decision about voluntary assisted dying throughout the process.

3. They must also:

be an adult 18 years or over,
   have been living in Victoria for at least 12 months,
   be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

—The only weakness I can see in the legislation is that a doctor can refuse to prescribe and/or administer the lethal
drug based on religious and/or moral grounds.  Which probably means that most Catholic doctors won't conduct
the procedure, just as they won't carry out abortions.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Vera

(02-09-2019, 12:20 AM)SYZ Wrote: The state where I live, Victoria, will become the first Australian state in the country to legalise assisted dying for the terminally ill,
with state MPs voting to give patients the right to request a lethal drug to end their lives from mid-2019.  

People choosing to access voluntary assisted dying must meet the following requirements:

likely to cause their death within six months (or within 12 months for neurodegenerative diseases like motor neurone disease) and

2. They must have the ability to make a decision about voluntary assisted dying throughout the process.

3. They must also:

—The only weakness I can see in the legislation is that a doctor can refuse to prescribe and/or administer the lethal
drug based on religious and/or moral grounds.  Which probably means that most Catholic doctors won't conduct

That's pretty much exactly the same as Oregon. Except I think you must only have been a resident of Oregon for 2 months, not entirely sure of that. There are a bunch of states in the US hat made it legal, and they each have their own laws. A lot more states have legislation pending.

(02-09-2019, 12:20 AM)SYZ Wrote: The state where I live, Victoria, will become the first Australian state in the country to legalise assisted dying for the terminally ill,

3. They must also:

You got so close, Victoria, but you didn't quite make it over the finish line.
Breathing takes too much effort.
The following 1 user Likes Mediocharist's post:
  • Vera

Colombian man felt tranquil before euthanasia ended his pain

"For the first time in years, Víctor Escobar stopped taking most of the medicines needed for his lung disease. There was no longer any need. On Friday evening, he became the first Colombian to be euthanized despite not yet being in terminal condition.

“I feel an immense tranquility. I don’t feel fear of what is to come,” Escobar told The Associated Press this week. “They have told me that the process is going to be a slow sedation at first so that I have time to say goodbye.

“After that is the injection of the euthanasia, which is going to be something without pain — a very tranquil death. I trust in God that that all this will be that way,” he said in a weak voice while sitting on a sofa in the small home he had been paying off with a pension of $250 a month.

His lawyer, Luis Giraldo, said Friday evening that the process had been completed and Escobar was dead.

Escobar was the first to use a July ruling of the nation’s top court that changed the rules for euthanasia, allowing it to be applied to people who suffer intense physical or psychological suffering due to a grave and incurable disease, even if they are not yet near death.

His family declined to reveal the name of the clinic where the euthanasia took place.

The country depenalized euthanasia in 1997, but only for those considered to have fewer than six months to live. While polls indicate most Colombians favor expanding it to people like Escobar, the legislature so far hasn’t formally followed the court’s lead by explicitly authorizing it and some remain deeply opposed.

The Catholic Church issued a statement in July saying that “any action or omission with the intention of provoking death to overcome pain constitutes homicide.”

From the apartment in Cali, where he was born, Escobar was conscious of the importance of his case, the first in Latin America.

“It is the door so that a patient like me, with degenerative diseases, has the opportunity for a dignified death,” he said Thursday.

Even morphine was insufficient to calm his pain and he said other medications were losing their effects.

He had been ill since 2008, when two strokes cost him the movement of half his body, though some of that returned. He later developed chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, hypertension, diabetes, severe arthrosis and costochondral junction syndrome — a painful inflammation where the ribs meet the breastbone.

Escobar fought to obtain euthanasia for more than two years. Judges twice turned him down because his illnesses were not yet considered terminal.

“It was a complicated affair to confront justice, the political parties, religion and many powerful people as somebody who only had (access to) communications media,,” said Giraldo, his attorney.

In an earlier case, a judge in October had authorized voluntary euthanasia for Martha Sepúlveda, a woman suffering amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. But it was cancelled hours before the planned procedure when extensive news coverage led the medical committee at the clinic where it was to be performed to change its mind.

Escobar said he would say farewell to his wife, three children, brother and cousins at a midday meal.

“I will have the opportunity that they give me the warmth of the family and their accompaniment and also that I can thank them in my own name,” he said. “It will be a day of rejoicing for us, and I hope it will be something very private.”

Escobar said he hoped his case would lead to actual legalization and regulation of assisted death for non-terminal patients. Legislation to do so failed in November.

“If we ask for a dignified death it is because we are tired of all the illnesses that overcome us,” Escobar said. “For us, life ended a long time ago.”"

I swear to all the gods that humanity's ever invented, that I'll be reporting any attempt of the religious trolls at hijacking this thread. This is for adults only, not for the feeble-minded who cannot handle life for what it really is, without the safety blanket of a sky parent.
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • SYZ, Deesse23

(01-09-2022, 12:06 AM)Vera Wrote: Colombian man felt tranquil before euthanasia ended his pain

"For the first time in years, Víctor Escobar stopped taking most of the medicines needed for his lung disease. There was no longer any need. On Friday evening, he became the first Colombian to be euthanized despite not yet being in terminal condition.

“I feel an immense tranquility. I don’t feel fear of what is to come,” Escobar told The Associated Press this week. “They have told me that the process is going to be a slow sedation at first so that I have time to say goodbye.

“After that is the injection of the euthanasia, which is going to be something without pain — a very tranquil death. I trust in God that that all this will be that way,” he said in a weak voice while sitting on a sofa in the small home he had been paying off with a pension of $250 a month.

His lawyer, Luis Giraldo, said Friday evening that the process had been completed and Escobar was dead.

Escobar was the first to use a July ruling of the nation’s top court that changed the rules for euthanasia, allowing it to be applied to people who suffer intense physical or psychological suffering due to a grave and incurable disease, even if they are not yet near death.

His family declined to reveal the name of the clinic where the euthanasia took place.

The country depenalized euthanasia in 1997, but only for those considered to have fewer than six months to live. While polls indicate most Colombians favor expanding it to people like Escobar, the legislature so far hasn’t formally followed the court’s lead by explicitly authorizing it and some remain deeply opposed.

The Catholic Church issued a statement in July saying that “any action or omission with the intention of provoking death to overcome pain constitutes homicide.”

From the apartment in Cali, where he was born, Escobar was conscious of the importance of his case, the first in Latin America.

“It is the door so that a patient like me, with degenerative diseases, has the opportunity for a dignified death,” he said Thursday.

Even morphine was insufficient to calm his pain and he said other medications were losing their effects.

He had been ill since 2008, when two strokes cost him the movement of half his body, though some of that returned. He later developed chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, hypertension, diabetes, severe arthrosis and costochondral junction syndrome — a painful inflammation where the ribs meet the breastbone.

Escobar fought to obtain euthanasia for more than two years. Judges twice turned him down because his illnesses were not yet considered terminal.

“It was a complicated affair to confront justice, the political parties, religion and many powerful people as somebody who only had (access to) communications media,,” said Giraldo, his attorney.

In an earlier case, a judge in October had authorized voluntary euthanasia for Martha Sepúlveda, a woman suffering amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. But it was cancelled hours before the planned procedure when extensive news coverage led the medical committee at the clinic where it was to be performed to change its mind.

Escobar said he would say farewell to his wife, three children, brother and cousins at a midday meal.

“I will have the opportunity that they give me the warmth of the family and their accompaniment and also that I can thank them in my own name,” he said. “It will be a day of rejoicing for us, and I hope it will be something very private.”

Escobar said he hoped his case would lead to actual legalization and regulation of assisted death for non-terminal patients. Legislation to do so failed in November.

“If we ask for a dignified death it is because we are tired of all the illnesses that overcome us,” Escobar said. “For us, life ended a long time ago.”"

I swear to all the gods that humanity's ever invented, that I'll be reporting any attempt of the religious trolls at hijacking this thread. This is for adults only, not for the feeble-minded who cannot handle life for what it really is, without the safety blanket of a sky parent.

I am just surprised it's Colombia. There are not all that many places that allow a death with dignity. I feel privileged to live in one of those places, albeit the docs don't administer it here, you do so yourself, whenever you are ready, and you do need to have a terminal condition..

Quote:The Catholic Church issued a statement in July saying that “any action or omission with the intention of provoking death to overcome pain constitutes homicide.”

Fuck those hypocritical bastards.

Leave the altar boys alone, pervs.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 4 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • SYZ, Fireball, Thingymebob, Antonio

"The man could not be reached for comment afterward."
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Fireball

(02-09-2019, 12:20 AM)SYZ Wrote: —The only weakness I can see in the legislation is that a doctor can refuse to prescribe and/or administer the lethal

We have a similar clause here in Canada for practitioners who have religious or ethical objections. It hasn't been a problem. Any doctor who doesn't feel like assisting in your death is required only to refer you to one who will, and there's no shortage of those. Most doctors understand the needless suffering only too well and are quite willing to help prevent it.
The following 3 users Like Paleophyte's post:
  • Cavebear, SYZ, Alan V

(01-12-2022, 10:54 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 12:20 AM)SYZ Wrote: —The only weakness I can see in the legislation is that a doctor can refuse to prescribe and/or administer the lethal

We have a similar clause here in Canada for practitioners who have religious or ethical objections. It hasn't been a problem. Any doctor who doesn't feel like assisting in your death is required only to refer you to one who will, and there's no shortage of those. Most doctors understand the needless suffering only too well and are quite willing to help prevent it.

I think it's the same here.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Antonio

Yeah? Try to find a doctor in the US who will kill you painlessly. I think it is actually illegal. And there is that whole Hippocratic Oath about "causing no harm". Doctors (here?) are taught that ending life even in dire conditions is a "harm".
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

(01-12-2022, 11:42 PM)Cavebear Wrote:

Yeah?  Try to find a doctor in the US who will kill you painlessly.  I think it is actually illegal.  And there is that whole Hippocratic Oath about "causing no harm".  Doctors (here?) are taught that ending life even in dire conditions is a "harm".

There are several states with death with dignity laws. Google death with dignity. I only know the details about Oregon, but here the doc prescribes a pill that will kill you. You have to take it yourself, when you are good and ready. Not all docs will do it, but plenty will.
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • Cavebear, SYZ, Alan V

(01-13-2022, 12:41 AM)Dom Wrote:
(01-12-2022, 11:42 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(01-12-2022, 10:54 PM)Paleophyte Wrote: We have a similar clause here in Canada for practitioners who have religious or ethical objections. It hasn't been a problem. Any doctor who doesn't feel like assisting in your death is required only to refer you to one who will, and there's no shortage of those. Most doctors understand the needless suffering only too well and are quite willing to help prevent it.

Yeah?  Try to find a doctor in the US who will kill you painlessly.  I think it is actually illegal.  And there is that whole Hippocratic Oath about "causing no harm".  Doctors (here?) are taught that ending life even in dire conditions is a "harm".

There are several states with death with dignity laws. Google death with dignity. I only know the details about Oregon, but here the doc prescribes a pill that will kill you. You have to take it yourself, when you are good and ready. Not all docs will do it, but plenty will.

Good to know. I hope I am compos mentis enough to agree to take it if necessary.  It would be better if I could just leave instructions about "just kill me when..." but that is for the future.

If only fucking priests felt the same way, huh?

(01-13-2022, 12:52 AM)Minimalist Wrote:

You are a wonder, Minimalist. Not that I love theists, but do you have any word for them that doesn't start with "fucking"? I mean, MOST of them probably don't. Play "Whack A Mole" maybe but...

LOL!

(01-13-2022, 12:52 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 12:41 AM)Dom Wrote:
(01-12-2022, 11:42 PM)Cavebear Wrote: Yeah?  Try to find a doctor in the US who will kill you painlessly.  I think it is actually illegal.  And there is that whole Hippocratic Oath about "causing no harm".  Doctors (here?) are taught that ending life even in dire conditions is a "harm".

Good to know.  I hope I am compos mentis enough to agree to take it if necessary.  It would be better if I could just leave instructions about "just kill me when..." but that is for the future.

If you go to your primary physician, you can fill out a couple of forms for that. One is quite detailed and you say which type of life support you do or don't want under what circumstances. If you want to be let go under certain circumstances, they keep you comfortable but won't use those life saving measures.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

It should not be surprising that the Catholic Church is opposed to euthanasia, since it has always placed a value on human suffering.  Dodgy
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 8 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Alan V, Thingymebob, Inkubus, Fireball, Thumpalumpacus, Dom, Szuchow, Paleophyte

(01-13-2022, 04:55 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 12:52 AM)Minimalist Wrote:
(01-12-2022, 10:54 PM)Paleophyte Wrote: We have a similar clause here in Canada for practitioners who have religious or ethical objections. It hasn't been a problem. Any doctor who doesn't feel like assisting in your death is required only to refer you to one who will, and there's no shortage of those. Most doctors understand the needless suffering only too well and are quite willing to help prevent it.

You are a wonder, Minimalist.  Not that I love theists, but do you have any word for them that doesn't start with "fucking"?  I mean, MOST of them probably don't.  Play "Whack A Mole" maybe but...

LOL!

No.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Cavebear

(01-14-2022, 09:49 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 04:55 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 12:52 AM)Minimalist Wrote: If only fucking priests felt the same way, huh?

You are a wonder, Minimalist.  Not that I love theists, but do you have any word for them that doesn't start with "fucking"?  I mean, MOST of them probably don't.  Play "Whack A Mole" maybe but...

LOL!

No.

Dog

Inquiry after 'dead man' taken into post office

Post master: Pension book:

Pensioner: I'm dead!

Post master: What?

Dead Man's nephews: Nothing. Here's your pension book.

Pensioner: I'm dead!

Post master: 'Ere, he says he's dead.

Nephews: No he isn't ....
The following 2 users Like Inkubus's post:
  • Fireball, Thingymebob

Hay, lissen, cum'eer, there's more:

Gardaí have ruled out foul play, with a postmortem revealing he had died not long before the alarm was raised at Hosey’s shop and post office in the town of Carlow, in County Carlow...

Quote:...The two men returned a short while later appearing to prop up a man wearing a woolly jumper over his face and a hat on his head.
Onlookers claimed his feet were “dragging” along the ground on the journey from his house a short walk from the shop.

They are now examining CCTV footage of the 500-metre stretch between Doyle’s house and the post office to establish his condition before he arrived.

"A shop worker became concerned, asking if Doyle was unwell".

Quote:It really is shocking. People in the town are clearly shocked, but he did get prayers and he was anointed,” Father John Dunphy told Irish media.
Link
The following 1 user Likes Inkubus's post:
  • Thingymebob