Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apology to Alan V.

Apology to Alan V.
I've been considering how to do this this for a while.
So, some may remember Alan and I had a debate a while ago, in which I claimed there was no such thing as free will, and that Psychology has demonstrated that the determination of decisions are 95 % determined by what is already stored in the brain,
and thus not "free". I remain generally (still) of that opinion, but after a review of many other scholarly opinions, I came to the conclusion, that one could actually "choose" to engage in a behavior (in that 5 %) to see how it worked out. Alan reminded me that 5 % was "enough" to provide "free". I didn't buy it. It might be unusual, but obviously could happen. ..... just have for a long time thought I should admit I was wrong.
Test
The following 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Aliza, Dancefortwo, Inkubus, adey67

Apology to Alan V.
(11-06-2023, 08:00 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: I've been considering how to do this this for a while.
So, some may remember Alan and I had a debate a while ago, in which I claimed there was no such thing as free will, and that Psychology has demonstrated that the determination of decisions are 95 % determined by what is already stored in the brain,
and thus not "free". I remain generally (still) of that opinion, but after a review of many other scholarly opinions, I came to the conclusion, that one could actually "choose" to engage in a behavior (in that 5 %) to see how it worked out. Alan reminded me that 5 % was "enough" to provide "free". I didn't buy it. It might be unusual, but obviously could happen. ..... just have for a long time thought I should admit I was wrong.

That was nice of you Bucky.   I've apologized for being wrong too.   It's a good thing to do.
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Bucky Ball, Aliza

Apology to Alan V.
I'm sure glad I've never been wrong.

Apology to Alan V.
(11-07-2023, 10:40 PM)no one Wrote: I'm sure glad I've never been wrong.

I, on the other hand, have been wrong so many times that I don't even have time to apologize for individual errors.
test

Apology to Alan V.

I, on the other hand, have been wrong so many times that I don't even have time to apologize for individual errors.
test

Apology to Alan V.

I just don't admit it. It has the same practical effect.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Apology to Alan V.
I thought I was  wrong once..... but I was mistaken!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Apology to Alan V.
(11-08-2023, 04:11 AM)Dānu Wrote:

I just don't admit it.  It has the same practical effect.

Sounds like a good strategy.

My duplicate post here in this thread was not a mistake.

Honest!
test

Apology to Alan V.
Re: The Inconsistency of Arithmetic

You are quite right, and my original response was wrong. Thank you for spotting my error.
I withdraw my claim.

Posted by: Edward Nelson on October 1, 2011 1:39 PM

The Inconsistency of Arithmetic | The n-Category Café (utexas.edu)

[Image: 100_0028s.jpg]
test

Apology to Alan V.
The other day I found out I was wrong about celluloid film not being plant based and had to fess up to my husband that I was in error. 

Why this subject came up is sort of a long story but I happened to read about decorative hair combs in the 1880's exploding in women's hair and buring their skin.  Some guy was combing his long beard and the comb exploded.  It killed him.   I thought, "What the hell?"    Well, celluloid is a combination of "cellulose fibers, nitric acid, sulfuric acid, water, alcohol, camphor, colorants, and fillers" which is quite explosive under certain circumstances.  

[Image: 942_4210_767_669.jpg]

Billiard balls were being made out of celluloid to cut down on ivory which was so expensive to get .... plus the poor elephants.  These celluloid billiard balls would sometimes explode.  

[Image: theperilsofivorycelluloidcartoon_caption.jpg] 

Anyway, this was the first synthetic substance, but not entirely. There are still come plant cells in celluloid so I was wrong about that.  I thought it was entirely man made chemicals mixed together.  Wrong!
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Inkubus