Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Deep Quotes

Favorite Deep Quotes
"Everything in life is just for a while." - Philip K. Dick
The following 1 user Likes carusmm's post:
  • Gwaithmir

Favorite Deep Quotes
“Millions of men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burned, tortured, fined and imprisoned, yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites.” (Thomas Jefferson)   Consider
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

Favorite Deep Quotes
Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.

Marie Shear.

PS: have a nice thought about this one on this international women's day.
The following 2 users Like epronovost's post:
  • Dom, Alan V

Favorite Deep Quotes
OK, I went through 100 famous quotes looking for one I liked. Most seemed idiotic: "The wind howls, but the mountain remains still". Well, Duh... I'm going to go with a personal thought. "The time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, you dipstick"!
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Gwaithmir

Favorite Deep Quotes
"Well, I think that old cuss of a preacher lied like Dixie when he said that God had fought all our battles and won all our victories──for if that was true, why was it not in the papers, and why has He not been promoted?" (Sgt. Albinus Fell, CSA)  Hmm
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

Favorite Deep Quotes
"The truth is out there." —Dana Scully

Favorite Deep Quotes
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man." (Jack Handey)  Consider

Favorite Deep Quotes
"They couldn't hit an Elephant...." Major General John Sedgwick

Corollary: Sometimes your subordinates DO know what they are talking about.

Favorite Deep Quotes
"Aside from that, how did you like the play, Mrs. Lincoln?"
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Favorite Deep Quotes
"I have endeavored to dissipate these religious superstitions from the minds of women, and base their faith on science and reason, where I found for myself at last that peace and comfort I could never find in the Bible and the church." (Elizabeth Cady Stanton)  Consider
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Alan V

Favorite Deep Quotes
[Image: quote-it-is-now-quite-lawful-for-a-catho...-68-07.jpg]
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 5 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Gwaithmir, pythagorean, Inkubus, pattylt, polymath257

Favorite Deep Quotes
(05-31-2023, 02:24 PM)Dānu Wrote: [Image: quote-it-is-now-quite-lawful-for-a-catho...-68-07.jpg]

This sounds like an awesome quote, if I could figure out what it means.

I really like stuff like this.
test

Favorite Deep Quotes
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." (Jack Handey)  Huh

Favorite Deep Quotes
(05-31-2023, 02:24 PM)Dānu Wrote: [Image: quote-it-is-now-quite-lawful-for-a-catho...-68-07.jpg]

Ah...be fruitful and multiply.

edited to add:

Oh, never mind...that's not it.

I'm still confused.
test

Favorite Deep Quotes

Catholics are now allowed to use chemistry as well…ovulation testing, etc.  it’s still abstinence on fertile times, though.

Favorite Deep Quotes
"And then Logicians entered the field in their usual role, as spoilers."

(From the preface of some math book. I forget which one.)

The Logical Song

test