Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Weather: wherever you go, there it is.

(02-03-2023, 04:21 AM)Cavebear Wrote: Forgive me, but you live with Mom?

I've been staying with her this winter but still maintain my own place.
On hiatus.

Holy cow! Yesterday it was 62 degrees. Today it's 82. Tomorrow it will be in the mid nineties. Then back down to low 60s. It drives me nuts! Sweat, shiver, put on more clothes, take them off, wake up cold, wake up sweaty, and on and on.

Normal this year would be a steady low 70s. I miss it.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

(04-26-2023, 11:46 PM)Dom Wrote: Holy cow! Yesterday it was 62 degrees. Today it's 82. Tomorrow it will be in the mid nineties. Then back down to low 60s. It drives me nuts! Sweat, shiver, put on more clothes, take them off, wake up cold, wake up sweaty, and on and on.

Normal this year would be a steady low 70s. I miss it.

I'm arriving in Portland on Saturday, Medford on Sunday, back to back beautiful days withe temps in the high 70's/low 80's, with a threat of snow on Monday for the start of the electrical survey at the White City VA. I feel your pain, though I'm kinda used to it living in the land without spring or autumn. We get summer and winter, and two "seasons" where it just flips back and fourth. I've seen 70 degree days with overnight snowfall exceeding 48 inches in April here. Of course, a good Chinook wind can give us bikini weather in January, but that's a whole different thing.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

Yesterday I was wearing winter clothes. Today we have a heat warning, temps in the 90s.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

Any clues from this ^^^^ back in May?

(10-30-2023, 06:34 PM)Thethingaboutitis Wrote: Any clues from this ^^^^  back in May?

The temperature fluctuates? Maybe she's a poikilotherm? Panic
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Fireball

Three days of ice rain.  Portland is frozen.  I need some ice skates to get around.  Funny that the East coast and Chicago gets all the weather news but when it comes to ice storms in the Pacific Northwest we sorta don't exist for news outlets.    

[Image: FRICUM7ASBCLVJ274NQWTLC5XU.JPG]
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Unsapien

(01-18-2024, 07:56 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Funny that the East coast and Chicago gets all the weather news but when it comes to ice storms in the Pacific Northwest we sorta don't exist for news outlets.    

The only "weather" that makes news from the West coast is earthquakes.  Tongue
The following 1 user Likes airportkid's post:
  • Dancefortwo

Looks like I'll be making sweet sweet love with my blower in about 3 to 4 hours.

(01-18-2024, 09:24 PM)airportkid Wrote:
(01-18-2024, 07:56 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Funny that the East coast and Chicago gets all the weather news but when it comes to ice storms in the Pacific Northwest we sorta don't exist for news outlets.    

The only "weather" that makes news from the West coast is earthquakes.  Tongue

We were out of power for a couple of days because trees were blowing over and taking out power lines all over Portland.  But we have a fireplace and a ton of wood so we were fine.  We have a cast iron Dutch oven pot and cooked a pot roast with potatoes and vegies on the open fire.  It was really yummy tasting.  The wind is still howling like crazy and blowing the ice rain sideways but at least we have power.  It's supposed to go till 9:00 tonight and then subside but the forcasters said that yesterday.   This ice rain is funneling out of the Columbia Gorge like a big giant vaccum.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Unsapien

When they remodeled some years back, they put dials in that supposedly control the heat. Until now, I was convinced they didn't do anything, but with the cold, inside temperatures have dropped. Turning the dial to max really helped.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

(01-18-2024, 07:56 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Three days of ice rain.  Portland is frozen.  I need some ice skates to get around.  Funny that the East coast and Chicago gets all the weather news but when it comes to ice storms in the Pacific Northwest we sorta don't exist for news outlets.    

[Image: FRICUM7ASBCLVJ274NQWTLC5XU.JPG]
We had icy rain for one days this week. Was "fun" = Homeoffice.
Now, on Sunday, we expect -10C (14F), and on Monday +10C (50F).
R.I.P. Hannes

It was 70 and sunny yesterday in Phoenix......

[Ducks.....runs]
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

-25 C today
Coldest day here so far this winter. This is when you can actually HEAR how cold it is, because the sound of the snow makes a distinctly different crunching sound when you walk. 

Also the air is dry as a bone, it's only 19% humidity in the office, and my skin feels like beef jerky!  Sadcryface
[Image: 20220702-163925.jpg]

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

The following 2 users Like Unsapien's post:
  • Deesse23, brewerb

11°F this AM. The heat rolls in and by noon it's 18°F - woohoo!
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

(01-20-2024, 01:07 PM)Chas Wrote: 11°F this AM. The heat rolls in and by noon it's 18°F - woohoo!

Similar to here today. We might hit single digits again tonight. Probably going to cost us fortune in landscaping. The last time it got this cold and stayed for a while it killed a bunch of boxwoods. 

Schools and a lot of businesses have been closed all week. We got an inch of sleet on Sunday, and it has only been above freezing for a few hours a couple of times since. The roads finally became mostly passable yesterday, but there is still enough ice on some of the back roads to make driving risky.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]

I know it's only been a couple of weeks in the deep freeze but today is our beginning of the warm up, welcome back global warming. Dodgy