Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gamers!

Gamers!
(08-01-2023, 06:24 PM)isbelldl Wrote:
(08-01-2023, 03:09 PM)Dānu Wrote: Thanks for the tips.  What do you think of the elite controller?  Is it worth the money?

It's worth it for me. I like the layout of the standard XBox controller, & a traditional + shaped dpad. I also use 2 of the rear paddles regularly (typically programmed to LB/RB). It's also nice to have all of my commonly used devices on USB-C. My standard left bumper wore out early, but thanks to the paddles, I've been able to keep using it without problems. I bought it 3.5 years ago, use it for raiding in FFXIV for 9 hours/week, as well as whatever regular games I play. I'll either repair it or buy another when it fails. I typically keep the standard height thumbsticks at the softest setting, so I'm not sure that I benefit from those over the base controller. If the extra features would be beneficial to you, go for it. The rear paddles alone were for me. Otherwise, I'm not sure it's worth the cost over a base controller or an 8BitDo Pro 2 or Ultimate Bluetooth. One nice change is that Microsoft is finally selling some replacement parts officially. https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/08/m...ir-guides/ Might still be better to buy 3rd party replacement parts though, depending on what fails.

I was about ready to order the Elite controller when I realized that because I have no fingers to grip the controller with, I rest it on my leg to free up my hands for the sticks and buttons. Given that, the extra paddles on the controller wouldn't be usable. I'll give it some further thought, but it looks like a no-go for now.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • isbelldl

Gamers!
(10-02-2023, 05:22 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(08-01-2023, 06:24 PM)isbelldl Wrote: It's worth it for me. I like the layout of the standard XBox controller, & a traditional + shaped dpad. I also use 2 of the rear paddles regularly (typically programmed to LB/RB). It's also nice to have all of my commonly used devices on USB-C. My standard left bumper wore out early, but thanks to the paddles, I've been able to keep using it without problems. I bought it 3.5 years ago, use it for raiding in FFXIV for 9 hours/week, as well as whatever regular games I play. I'll either repair it or buy another when it fails. I typically keep the standard height thumbsticks at the softest setting, so I'm not sure that I benefit from those over the base controller. If the extra features would be beneficial to you, go for it. The rear paddles alone were for me. Otherwise, I'm not sure it's worth the cost over a base controller or an 8BitDo Pro 2 or Ultimate Bluetooth. One nice change is that Microsoft is finally selling some replacement parts officially. https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/08/m...ir-guides/ Might still be better to buy 3rd party replacement parts though, depending on what fails.

I was about ready to order the Elite controller when I realized that because I have no fingers to grip the controller with, I rest it on my leg to free up my hands for the sticks and buttons.  Given that, the extra paddles on the controller wouldn't be usable.  I'll give it some further thought, but it looks like a no-go for now.

That makes total sense. I did set mine on my leg just to see how it acted with the paddles. It doesn't press them just resting, but yeah, there's no way to intentionally press them either in that position. If I set it closer to my knee, I could bump the controller to press them, but it didn't feel stable enough to actually play anything fast paced that way.

I like the concept of the 8BitDo Lite SE, but I suspect it's way too small to be useful to you. It really looks aimed at kids with lots of small fingers. Would that concept scaled up to arcade pad size be a more ideal setup for you, or does the current traditional gamepad work well enough? I feel like I've mentioned it before, but have you tried a USB pedal set? It could be nice to move a few hard to reach buttons to your feet at least on PC. I wish consoles were better about accepting any & all controller inputs without oddball adapters.

Gamers!
(10-03-2023, 06:00 PM)isbelldl Wrote:
(10-02-2023, 05:22 PM)Dānu Wrote: I was about ready to order the Elite controller when I realized that because I have no fingers to grip the controller with, I rest it on my leg to free up my hands for the sticks and buttons.  Given that, the extra paddles on the controller wouldn't be usable.  I'll give it some further thought, but it looks like a no-go for now.

That makes total sense. I did set mine on my leg just to see how it acted with the paddles. It doesn't press them just resting, but yeah, there's no way to intentionally press them either in that position. If I set it closer to my knee, I could bump the controller to press them, but it didn't feel stable enough to actually play anything fast paced that way.

I like the concept of the 8BitDo Lite SE, but I suspect it's way too small to be useful to you. It really looks aimed at kids with lots of small fingers. Would that concept scaled up to arcade pad size be a more ideal setup for you, or does the current traditional gamepad work well enough? I feel like I've mentioned it before, but have you tried a USB pedal set? It could be nice to move a few hard to reach buttons to your feet at least on PC. I wish consoles were better about accepting any & all controller inputs without oddball adapters.

Microsoft sells an adaptive controller that is basically a hub with a couple of buttons to which you attach additional buttons and stuff and program so that all the attached stuff is mapped to an ordinary controller function. It's basically a do-it-yourself controller, and you can include a standard controller in the setup. It's a bit pricey, so I won't consider it unless I end up with a lot of control sequences that I am unable to manage with a standard controller. At present, only the Arkham Batman games which use the Genesis combat system fit that bill. I haven't spent enough time with the Nier games to know whether or not they, too, will fall into that category. For now my needs are met with a standard controller. Given that most games are manageable, I don't see an immediate need. It's usually just a learning curve when I encounter new, difficult sequences. There were button sequences in Ori and the Blind Forest which took time for me to acquire sufficient skill using. Then I switched to the followup game, Ori and the Will O' Wisps, which mapped one of the common moves in the first game to a different button. It took some time to get used to the new layout, but it usually comes eventually.

If you're curious about the adaptive controller, there are Youtube videos of people using it that you can watch.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • isbelldl

Gamers!
Picked up a few games recently:

Far Cry 6 - not as good as 5, but I've been playing it for some time now and it's getting there.

Alan Wake Remaster - I had the OG version but never did finish it. Picked up the remaster as it was on sale and have gotten real far into it so far. Loving this one

Gamers!
(11-06-2023, 01:33 PM)OakTree500 Wrote: Picked up a few games recently:

Far Cry 6 - not as good as 5, but I've been playing it for some time now and it's getting there.

Alan Wake Remaster - I had the OG version but never did finish it. Picked up the remaster as it was on sale and have gotten real far into it so far. Loving this one

Yeah Far Cry hillbilly edition was top tier.
The following 1 user Likes JDog554's post:
  • OakTree500

Gamers!
After a lot of shifting things about [and putting in the appropriate 'planning permission' with my wife] I've finally managed to upgrade my Xbox to the Series X - which is awesome.

Instantly installed Starfield, which if anything is just a feast for the eyes, and remaster of Deadspace. The RE4 remake is high on my list to pick up as well!
The following 1 user Likes OakTree500's post:
  • Dānu

Gamers!
I finally started Xenoblade Chronicles this week. I had picked it up for the Wii but never touched it. Got the updated version on Switch, & it's just more convenient to play these days. I'm about a dozen hours in & pretty well hooked. I think the first big event was spoiled for me previously, but luckily I had forgotten. Did not expect it to get so serious so quickly. I know it's a long game, but when I do finish, I have X & 2 waiting for me to jump into. Will have to pick up 3 while it's still easily available.

I'm still working on Tears of the Kingdom as well. I've finished the first 4 temples & explored almost everywhere. Just taking my time with it still.
I've finished most of the challenges in Peglin. I still play it occasionally when I just need a chill game, but I'm basically done with it.
I completely finished CrossCode it was possibly my favorite game for the year. I started NG+, but I have too many other games, so I doubt I'll finish a 2nd run. I loved every minute of the first time through.
I'm almost through Atelier Ryza. I've been stretching out playtime trying to finish crafts, but it might be time to just forget crafting & finish the story so I can start the 2nd.
Final Fantasy XIV is the forever game I guess. Been playing less lately though. My wife & I log in for weekly raid (just P12S at this point), & I do a few roulettes. When our 4th friend has more time, we'll be doing some group deep dungeon clears soon. I want to play more, but there are a lot of other games I want to play, so this only wins out when friends want to play as well.

Other games I've started & intend to play more as time allows:
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth - have a clear with most characters, suspect there are still surprises to find. May consider DLC
Cyberpunk 2077 - I play off & on when I'm bored. Not bad, but I'm just more excited for other games.
Horizon Zero Dawn - I'm almost done, but haven't touched it in over a year. I should just finish it & be done.
Tunic - Just started this week. Enjoying so far, will play more often.
World Racing 2 Champion Edition - Old game. Played Mercedes World Racing as a teen. It's not amazing, but it's fun.
Persona 4 Golden - Loved P5R. Think I'll love this too, but the start is definitely more challenging. I'm going to need to sit down & focus to make some progress soon.
Dragon Quest XI - I'm pretty far into it. Been playing semi-regularly. Really enjoying it. If you've played a DQ game before, you know what to expect. Very traditional, but good humor.
Revita - Fun to pick up occasionally. Difficult.
Celeste - Hey look, another difficult game that I enjoy but may never have the patience to finish.
Elden Ring - Who knew the character creation part would be my insurmountable challenge. Still haven't played a souls game (unless we count Armored Core 2).
Beat Saber - When I want to actually enjoy physical activity.
Metroid Prime - Never played a Metroid game (despite loving Metroidvanias). Friend gave it to me for Christmas. I've played a bit of the 1st level. Will play more if I ever stop Xenoblade Chronicles long enough.
Super Mario RPG - Started the original on SNES classic. Don't want to drag that thing out every time I want to play, so I'll be starting over on Switch soon.

I won't bother listing my forever backburner games. Rest assured, there are plenty. I guess I can blame ADHD for how much I bounce between games. Some take years to see the ending. Completing a series is even worse.
The following 1 user Likes isbelldl's post:
  • JDog554

Gamers!
Been playing a lot of "Goat simulator 3" over the holidays as its on game pass. While not amazing ground breaking games, they are fun as a little "turn your brain off and chill out" type thing.

Got Resi 4 remake waiting to go, and the Dead Space remaster. Also picked up the last Street Fighter game as my daughter is randomly big into it. May also reinstall Arkham Knight and replay on New Game+

Gamers!
(12-29-2023, 03:47 PM)isbelldl Wrote: I'm still working on Tears of the Kingdom as well. I've finished the first 4 temples & explored almost everywhere. Just taking my time with it still.

I'm pretty much "final boss ready", having done everything else really - still pottering around just doing whatever but I think I'm about done. A solid years worth of play out of me though, cracking game.

Gamers!
Finished the main part of Super Mario Wonder - Got the next set of stages to play, which are super difficult.

Also playing Arkham Knight on "new game plus" mode which is pretty cool

Gamers!
Finished up on Arkham New Game+ - All that for an extra suit haha.

Also managed to finish Alan Wake remaster - great game with a bonkers Stephen King/Twin Peaks style story to it.

Started on Resident Evil 4 remake now - its brown trousers time!

Gamers!
After watching YT videos I picked up Sekiro again. Can't really compare to top players but I've finished New Game+++. Also finished Sifu - quite nice if short and hard fighting game.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • OakTree500

Gamers!
Finished Resident Evil 4 remake - great game with some mental bosses and an awesome story.

Next up is Control

Gamers!
Took a minor detour with the gaming and finished off Far Cry 6 as I had started it a long time ago and hadn't finished it.