Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
The Brexit Thread (topical thread)

(12-12-2018, 05:23 PM)abaris Wrote:
(12-12-2018, 02:21 PM)adey67 Wrote: Here's my solution.

Theresa May........ Death by firing squad
Boris Johnson..... Death by hanging
David Cameron.... Burning at the stake
Jacob Rees-Mogg...Burning at the stake.

And what do you have in mind for good old Nigel?

Definitely torture lots of it followed by breaking on the wheel and burning but it's Rees-Mogg I can't stand, there's something about him that pisses me off so much for some reason.  I'm only burning Cameron because he is the twat who gave all the xenophobic geriatric farts in the UK the vote that's caused this steaming of pigshit we're currently living through in the first place.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast

You appear to have missed the irony inherent in the age old tradition of drawing and quartering. Nigel Farage perhaps?

(12-12-2018, 04:12 PM)Marozz Wrote:

That leaves Jeremy Corbyn........ Huh

He should be knighted.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 1 user Likes EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Marozz

(12-12-2018, 07:22 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(12-12-2018, 04:12 PM)Marozz Wrote:

That leaves Jeremy Corbyn........ Huh

He should be knighted.
Knighted!.........sent to the Gulag more like!

[Image: Conspirator-Guy-Fawkes-1570-1606-attempt...531458.jpg]
The following 3 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • Marozz, EvieTheAvocado, Paleophyte

(12-12-2018, 04:17 PM)Marozz Wrote: May might just about win the vote of no confidence this evening. If she wins that still leaves the small problem of the DUP fuckers. They still hold all the aces.

I read this "all the asses" hobo

Then again, they probably do Deadpan Coffee Drinker
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • Marozz, Thumpalumpacus

(12-12-2018, 07:38 PM)Marozz Wrote:
(12-12-2018, 07:22 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(12-12-2018, 04:12 PM)Marozz Wrote: That leaves Jeremy Corbyn........ Huh

He should be knighted.

I don't understand why everyone complains about Corbyn so much. I have, so far, only heard him say things that I agree with.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

Corbyn Wrote:Riding a bicycle is the summit of human endeavour - an almost neutral environmental effect coupled with the ability to travel substantial distances without disturbing anybody. The bike is the perfect marriage of technology and human energy.

Corbyn Wrote:It is time we recognised the huge contribution that migration has made to the economic growth of this country.

Corbyn Wrote:I think NATO is a Cold War product. I think NATO historically should have shut up shop in 1990 along with the Warsaw Pact; unfortunately, it didn't.

Corbyn Wrote:Everybody aspires to an affordable home, a secure job, better living standards, reliable healthcare and a decent pension. My generation took those things for granted, and so should future generations.

Corbyn Wrote:Trade unions are a force for good - a force for a more equal society.

Corbyn Wrote:We oppose the benefit cap. We oppose social cleansing. We will bring the welfare bill down by controlling rents and boosting wages, not by impoverishing families and socially cleansing our communities.

Corbyn Wrote:We live in a very unequal society.

I agree with every one of these quotes ... some very strongly indeed. @Marozz Where is this unreasonableness or "crazy Corbyn" that so many people speak of but I never see it?

May has survived the no confidence vote. That will piss off Boris and Rees Mogg.
The following 3 users Like Marozz's post:
  • pocaracas, Mathilda, adey67

(12-12-2018, 08:20 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(12-12-2018, 07:38 PM)Marozz Wrote:
(12-12-2018, 07:22 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: He should be knighted.

I don't understand why everyone complains about Corbyn so much. I have, so far, only heard him say things that I agree with.

Let's just say there's a good chance that Corbyn voted for Brexit.
The following 3 users Like pocaracas's post:
  • Marozz, EvieTheAvocado, Mathilda

(12-12-2018, 09:18 PM)pocaracas Wrote:
(12-12-2018, 08:20 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(12-12-2018, 07:38 PM)Marozz Wrote: Knighted!.........sent to the Gulag more like!

Really? I'm really surprised by that because I thought that he was very supportive of the EU.

And wasn't it the Tories and UKIP that were pushing Brexit? I thought that Labour was strongly against it.

• Marozz

(12-12-2018, 09:19 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(12-12-2018, 09:18 PM)pocaracas Wrote:
(12-12-2018, 08:20 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: I don't understand why everyone complains about Corbyn so much. I have, so far, only heard him say things that I agree with.

Really? I'm really surprised by that because I thought that he was very supportive of the EU.

And wasn't it the Tories and UKIP that were pushing Brexit? I thought that Labour was strongly against it.

Corbyn is a well known Eurosceptic. 
https://www.markpack.org.uk/153744/jerem...yn-brexit/
The following 2 users Like Marozz's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, Mathilda

(12-12-2018, 09:37 PM)Marozz Wrote:
(12-12-2018, 09:19 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(12-12-2018, 09:18 PM)pocaracas Wrote: Let's just say there's a good chance that Corbyn voted for Brexit.

How bizarre.

Still, so many of his other policies are still so much better than the Tories. Like having no benefit gap and being pro-immigration. Still infinitely better than the Tories on the whole. And although I disagree with him if he's truly pro-Brexit (Google seems to suggest he's a former Euroskeptic) ... he's clearly said an awful lot of things that has made an awful lot of sense ... and I couldn't say that of any Tory.

I'd vote Green if they could get in, though. They're the party I align with most.

Watching this:

(12-12-2018, 09:41 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(12-12-2018, 09:37 PM)Marozz Wrote:
(12-12-2018, 09:19 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: Really? I'm really surprised by that because I thought that he was very supportive of the EU.

How bizarre.

Still, so many of his other policies are still so much better than the Tories. Like having no benefit gap and being pro-immigration. Still infinitely better than the Tories on the whole. And although I disagree with him if he's truly pro-Brexit (Google seems to suggest he's a former Euroskeptic) ... he's clearly said an awful lot of things that has made an awful lot of sense ... and I couldn't say that of any Tory.

I'd vote Green if they could get in, though. They're the party I align with most.

He means well. Anyway, I lean more to the right. I think it would be an economic disaster for the UK if he came into power. He would take it back to the 70’s when the hard left trade unions had way too much power. As prime minister would he come to the aid of a NATO ally, if they were invaded by
Russia? The only thing I like about Corbyn is that he would like to see a united Ireland

(12-12-2018, 09:52 PM)Marozz Wrote: Anyway, I lean more to the right.

Ah.

[Image: 9cc.gif]

The following 2 users Like EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Marozz, Dānu

(12-12-2018, 09:19 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: Really? I'm really surprised by that because I thought that he was very supportive of the EU.

No. A lot of labour voters are pro-Brexit so Labour don't want to lose votes. Also Corbyn is in a position of wanting Brexit but also in opposition to those who publlcly want it.
The following 2 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, Marozz

(12-12-2018, 10:03 PM)Mathilda Wrote:

No. A lot of labour voters are pro-Brexit so Labour don't want to lose votes. Also Corbyn is in a position of wanting Brexit but also in opposition to those who publlcly want it.

Weird. I knew that Cameron claimed to be Anti-Brexit but it was hard to tell what he really thought ...

I know that a mixture of pro and anti Brexit are supposedly amongst the Tories. But overall they always seemed mostly Pro-Brexit to me.

I have no idea what the Liberal Democrats' general stance on Brexit is.

I know the whole of UKIP is fully Pro-Brexit. And UKIP are even worse than the Tories, so that figures.

I didn't realize that there was any Anti-Brexit Labour party members.

What's the Green Party's stance on Brexit? Because they're the party I'd want to see in power if I could.

• Marozz

I’m
(12-12-2018, 10:09 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(12-12-2018, 10:03 PM)Mathilda Wrote:

Weird. I knew that Cameron claimed to be Anti-Brexit but it was hard to tell what he really thought ...

I know that a mixture of pro and anti Brexit are supposedly amongst the Tories. But overall they always seemed mostly Pro-Brexit to me.

I know the whole of UKIP is fully Pro-Brexit. And UKIP are even worse than the Tories, so that figures.

What's the Green Party's stance on Brexit? Because they're the party I'd want to see in power if I could.

I think the UK Green Party would like to have a second referendum, a people’s vote.

(12-12-2018, 10:29 PM)Marozz Wrote: I’m
(12-12-2018, 10:09 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(12-12-2018, 10:03 PM)Mathilda Wrote: No. A lot of labour voters are pro-Brexit so Labour don't want to lose votes. Also Corbyn is in a position of wanting Brexit but also in opposition to those who publlcly want it.

I think the UK Green Party would like to have a second referendum, a people’s vote.

That sounds like the most reasonable position to me.

But then I don't know much about British politics.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

So May lives to see another day in her job.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

(12-12-2018, 10:48 PM)Dom Wrote: So May lives to see another day in her job.

Yep, but she still has to try have her Brexit deal voted on in parliament. That’s the hard part.

(12-12-2018, 10:09 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: I have no idea what the Liberal Democrats' general stance on Brexit is.

The Lib Dems are generally anti-Brexit.

(12-12-2018, 10:09 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: I know the whole of UKIP is fully Pro-Brexit. And UKIP are even worse than the Tories, so that figures.

Those guys are the main culprits for the current state of affairs.

(12-12-2018, 10:09 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: I didn't realize that there was any Anti-Brexit Labour party members.

What?! Are you sure that's what you meant?

(12-13-2018, 07:59 AM)pocaracas Wrote: The Lib Dems are generally anti-Brexit.

Ah! Well, they're my second choice after Green if they had any chance of winning.

But I tend to vote Labour because they're so much better than the Tories—well, not "so much" as New Labour is more Tory-like than Old Labour ... but they're still significantly better than the Tories nonetheless ... and the way Corbyn is so pro-imigration and pro-removal of the benefit cap for poor people ... more than makes up for his Pro-Brexit stance, in my eyes ... and from what I've seen he seems to be saying that the only reason he's a Euroskeptic is that he doesn't think the EU go far enough in the sort of policies they want. He rates them a 7/10, lol* ... so thats the total opposite of a reason that people are normally Anti-EU. People are normally Anti-EU because they have an opposing stance to the EU ... and not because they think that the EU is too moderate in their policies—and Labour are the only party that ever seems to beat the Tories nowadays ... so that's why I tend to vote for them.

(12-13-2018, 07:59 AM)pocaracas Wrote: Those guys are the main culprits for the current state of affairs.

Indeed! After all ... UKIP= UK Independence Party ... the whole fucking party is named after a desire for Brexshit!

(12-13-2018, 07:59 AM)pocaracas Wrote: What?! Are you sure that's what you meant?

Haha, no, of course: I meant that I didn't realize that there was any "Pro-Brexit" Labour Party members and not that I didn't realize that there was any "Anti-Brexit." Labour Party members.

I do think he's commiting the Perfect Solution Fallacy*, though. He, in effect, seems to be saying that because the EU are not perfect—or not good enough for him—then their solutions are useless. Despite the fact that even if the EU is 'only' a 7/10 ... that's a lot better than Brexshit if Brexshit is 0/10, isn't it?
But still, I think that a removal of the Benefit Cap and increasing immigration would more than make up for things ... from a selfish British perspective, that is. Those things wouldn't make up for it from the perspective of Europe or from the perspective of the world as a whole. I guess it depends if I want to vote for selfish reasons or moral reasons. If I'm thinking about my own welfare and quality of life for my brief moment on this planet then I'll fall in favor of removing the benefit cap and allowing more immigrants in ... but if I'm trying to be moral and ethical then my cosmopolitan self would say that neither of those things are worth Brexit because other countries are just as important as mine. (Of course what I really want is no Brexshit, more immigrants *and* a removal of the benefit cap!)

To be clear, I'm EXTREMELY Anti-Brexit but I'm so Pro-removal of the benefit cap and so pro-immigration that I can't, on the whole, say that his election would be bad for the worst-off people in Britain. But I do think that what's best for Europe and the world may not be what's best for Britain ... and from an ethical and non-selfish perspective I think that caring about all countries equally is the morally superior option (as even the most well-off countries still have some people who are extremely poor with very poor qualities of life ... although I think that Scandanavia is doing pretty damn well ... hence why the Scandinavian countries are always at the top for world happiness surveys).

* Also known as The Nirvana Fallacy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirvana_fallacy

• pocaracas

(12-12-2018, 10:29 PM)Marozz Wrote: I think the UK Green Party would like to have a second referendum, a people’s vote.

Well, the Remainers would win ...

... and even if they didn't ... again, there are other things that are also important besides Brexshit. Brexshit is hugely awful but I also think more benefits for the worst of people and more immigration are at least as important (ultimately I think that more benefits for the poorest people and more money for the NHS is pretty much the most important thing of all).

Whenever I take the Political Compass Test I always get very close to Green:

https://www.politicalcompass.org/test

Same when I take the ISideWith test:

https://uk.isidewith.com/

Two completely different tests, same results. And then I read the Green Party fliers and it also sounds damn awesome.

Although ... I HAVE changed politically, slightly, since I last took the tests (I'm probably even more left-leaning now ... but I'm not sure because economically speaking I may be slightly more Capitalist) ... so I'm gonna take them both again now.