Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Food!!! What are you eating today??!

Cheesy ham bake and mixed veggies.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Three-bean chili soup mix. I spiced it up with a teaspoon of 40K SHU cayenne pepper. A bit much, but still quite good. It's a bit soupy, and underdone, so I added a can of kidney beans and set it for 10 more minutes.

(ETA: I remembered that I had two leftover hot dogs, so I chopped them up and threw them in and added a little more time.)
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Cavebear

Turkey, stuffing, and green beans.

Vivekananda

Ramen, shrimp, and Gochujang sauce.

Vivekananda

Bacon, eggs and coffee. Delayed breakfast.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

Sloppy joes.

Vivekananda

Clam chowder and crackers.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 1 user Likes Chas's post:
  • c172

Beef tips, mashed potatoes, and peas and carrots.

Vivekananda

(02-27-2021, 09:43 PM)Dānu Wrote: Three-bean chili soup mix.  I spiced it up with a teaspoon of 40K SHU cayenne pepper.  A bit much, but still quite good.  It's a bit soupy, and underdone, so I added a can of kidney beans and set it for 10 more minutes.

(ETA: I remembered that I had two leftover hot dogs, so I chopped them up and threw them in and added a little more time.)

Try using canned pinto beans next time. They are slightly firmer. And use cubed pork shoulder. Both tender and more flavorful than tubes of baloney.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

(02-28-2021, 05:35 PM)Dānu Wrote: Turkey, stuffing, and green beans.

I hope those weren't Thanksgiving Day leftovers, LOL! But seriously, that sounds good in late Winter. I'll some turkey thighs shopping tomorrow. I can make stuffing and gravy (well chicken gravy) and I have green beans.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Chas, Dom

Barbecue chicken drumstick, sliced sweet potatoes, and collard greens.

I don't know what Meals-On-Wheels does for barbecue sauce, but it has to be the worst barbecue sauce I've ever tasted. It's dull, lifeless, and doesn't even taste like barbecue sauce. Fortunately, I'm well stocked with alternatives. And, I've just discovered that Adi's house brand barbecue sauce is quite good and only $0.85 a bottle. It won't totally replace my specialty sauces from Famous Dave's and Sweet Baby Ray's, but it's more than fine for anything from ribs to pulled pork.

Vivekananda

Liver with roasted onions and apples. Yes, the onion and apples will push me over my carb limit, but so be it. It all goes so well together. I'll do zero carbs tomorrow and the day after to activate keto again.

Toast with jelly and butter, and waffles. Delayed breakfast after a morning at outpatient.
Is this sig thing on?

Macaroni salad.

Vivekananda

Lunch: Polish garlic sausage sandwich with oxtail soup. 

Supper: cackle berries in cheese sauce green beans and potatoes.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast

(03-03-2021, 02:03 PM)adey67 Wrote: Lunch: Polish garlic sausage sandwich with oxtail soup. 

There's a restaurant that serves oxtail pho that I ride by every time I donate plasma. I'm intrigued, but they're not overly well-reviewed. Still, I'm curious.

Vivekananda
  • adey67

(03-03-2021, 02:08 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 02:03 PM)adey67 Wrote: Lunch: Polish garlic sausage sandwich with oxtail soup. 

There's a restaurant that serves oxtail pho that I ride by every time I donate plasma.  I'm intrigued, but they're not overly well-reviewed.  Still, I'm curious.

I like oxtail soup. Oxtail is nice and flavorful.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • adey67

I went to three Aldi's stores looking for more packets of the 3-bean chili soup I tried, and got six more bags. They also had chicken noodle in the same type of mix. I'm fond of the chunky-style canned or the homestyle condensed, but I figured what the hell. It will be about 45 minutes in the rice cooker.

Vivekananda

(03-03-2021, 02:20 PM)Dom Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 02:08 PM)Dānu Wrote:

There's a restaurant that serves oxtail pho that I ride by every time I donate plasma.  I'm intrigued, but they're not overly well-reviewed.  Still, I'm curious.

I'd say oxtail clod shin and cheeks are the most flavourful cuts of beef, you just have to give them lots of long slow cooking. I make a wonderful oxtail casserole and adding some Jamaican spice mix and you have jerk oxtail which is divine.
The following 2 users Like adey67's post:
  • Dom, Dānu

Got a thing to make hardboiled eggs neatly. And a tip on how to peel them easily.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(03-03-2021, 06:17 PM)adey67 Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 02:20 PM)Dom Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 02:08 PM)Dānu Wrote: There's a restaurant that serves oxtail pho that I ride by every time I donate plasma.  I'm intrigued, but they're not overly well-reviewed.  Still, I'm curious.

I'd say oxtail clod shin and cheeks are the most flavourful cuts of beef, you just have to give them lots of long slow cooking. I make a wonderful oxtail casserole and adding some Jamaican spice mix and you have jerk oxtail which is divine.

Actually, the tougher the cut of beef, the more flavor is a pretty good rule of thumb. That's why I am so fond of slow roasting - more flavorful than a slow cooker, super tender and no exact timing needed. Unless I want to throw a steak on the grill, I prefer doing tough cuts in the oven.
  • adey67

(03-03-2021, 07:13 PM)Dom Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 06:17 PM)adey67 Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 02:20 PM)Dom Wrote: I like oxtail soup. Oxtail is nice and flavorful.

Actually, the tougher the cut of beef, the more flavor is a pretty good rule of thumb. That's why I am so fond of slow roasting - more flavorful than a slow cooker, super tender and no exact timing needed. Unless I want to throw a steak on the grill, I prefer doing tough cuts in the oven.

Girl we should get married # food heaven Tongue, my thoughts exactly. I'm doing a brisket pot roast this sunday
The following 1 user Likes adey67's post:
  • Dom

I've never tried slow roasting. I like falling apart pot roast, but I figured the Dutch oven was best for that. I'll have to look into some recipes and try it once my food stamps come.

Vivekananda

(03-03-2021, 08:18 PM)Dānu Wrote: I've never tried slow roasting.  I like falling apart pot roast, but I figured the Dutch oven was best for that.  I'll have to look into some recipes and try it once my food stamps come.

Slow roasting makes it equally tender, and the original flavor of the meat is enhanced.  I put it on a cookie sheet and tightly cover it with foil. Then I set the oven to 175 and walk away, as if it were in a slow cooker. When I am ready to eat, hours later, I lift the foil off, raise the temp to 400, and let it brown some more. It has been perfect every single time, there is no way to mess it up. Except trying to eat it too soon I guess. It takes hours at such low temps. You want the inside the same temp as the oven.
  • Dānu

Salisbury steak with Valentina Mexican seasoning (w/lime), egg noodles with lime Ponzu, and diced carrots.

I usually put Famous Dave's Devil's Spit seasoning on Salisbury steak, but the lime really kicked it up a notch. I should have stuck with Worcestershire or Oyster sauce for the noodles, though.

Vivekananda
  • Cavebear