Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
The Brexit Thread (topical thread)

There needs to be a Brexit thread so people can watch in real time as the country implodes.

I found this hilarious.

[Image: Farage-poll.png]
The following 6 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • Kim, Unsapien, EvieTheAvocado, Marozz, Aroura, Cavebear

Honestly, I'd wish Johnson was at the helm to sell his hard brexit to the british people. I think that would finally show the emperor without cloths. That guy looks like an idiot and acts like one. Only, people don't seem to notice so far.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

(10-02-2018, 05:36 PM)abaris link Wrote: Honestly, I'd wish Johnson was at the helm to sell his hard brexit to the british people. I think that would finally show the emperor without cloths. That guy looks like an idiot and acts like one. Only, people don't seem to notice so far.

There's going to be a reckoning after Brexit. The Tory party are forcing this through. Labour party aren't opposing it. This is going to hurt them in the polls. Unfortunately our political system is blighted by being a two party system so both Labour and Conservative assume that all they need do is wait for their turn in power. But they've fucked things up enough that the entire system might change. The political landscape has been undergoing major shifts for a while now. Especially if Scotland and Northern Ireland break away. I wouldn't be surprised if there was even a revolution. We are talking about food shortages and people going hungry after all. And because of austerity, there has already been a massive rise in the use of food banks.

And the demographics are also significant. It was mainly the baby boomers wanting Brexit, and they don't have long to live. There are going to be loads of absolutely livid EU citizens who have had their lives ruined and are forced to return.

So the UK (or rest of the UK if it breaks apart) could well end up trying to get back into the EU in a few years. But on the plus side it will be the younger generation who were generally pro-EU anyway. It's our leaders who fuck things up. On the downside, the EU might not want the UK back in again. So the population will be punished for what their parents did. If the UK does re-join, it will have to be unequivocally all in.

The following 1 user Likes Mathilda's post:
  • Aroura

It is nice to be reminded that at least we here in the U.S. aren't suffering alone with political stupidity at the moment. Britain seems like its potentially in a greater long term bind than America, my condolences for you all.
[Image: giphy.gif]
The following 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post:
  • Aroura, Aliza

Quote:It is nice to be reminded that at least we here in the U.S. aren't suffering alone with political stupidity at the moment.
AfD ( = alt stupid right) has become the second strongest political force in Germany according to the latest polls/surveys.  Weeping  ...and all i got was a lousy t-shirt.  :nar:
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 1 user Likes Deesse23's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(10-02-2018, 06:41 PM)Deesse23 link Wrote:
Quote:It is nice to be reminded that at least we here in the U.S. aren't suffering alone with political stupidity at the moment.
AfD ( = alt stupid right) has become the second strongest political force in Germany according to the latest polls/surveys.  Weeping  ...and all i got was a lousy t-shirt.  :nar:

Complete opposite over here. Republicans are looking like they're going to take an absolute beating this upcoming midterm.

Millenials in the U.S. are an extremely left leaning bunch, it's interesting to contemplate how over the next two decades, the U.S. could end up swinging heavily leftward as Millenials reach peak civic participation age, while Europe might become more closely divided and fractured. My impression is the young are a bit more split ideologically over in most of Europe (doesn't sound like that's the case in Britain, though). Imagine a future where left-wingers in Europe daydream whistfully of an American liberal utopia across the pond as they struggle against right-wing populists at home.
[Image: giphy.gif]
The following 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post:
  • Aroura

Quote:Republicans are looking like they're going to take an absolute beating this upcoming midterm.

IF Russia doesn’t do more interfering because now they know we won’t do anything about it when they do. IF Gerrymandering in place isn’t too overwhelming even with good voter turn out. IF there’s good voter turnout especially in the younger demographic.

I wish I were as optimistic as you at the moment, but I digress. Back to Brexit!
[Image: 320-C6-ED7-97-CD-4-AB2-A60-A-759-A45-FB7-FE8.jpg]
"The Thinking Atheist forum" “The Thinking Atheist forum closed down" “TTA Forum”
The following 1 user Likes Smercury44's post:
  • Kim

I received my German passport today!

So happy.
The following 9 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • Kim, RobbyPants, Dom, abaris, Deesse23, Smercury44, Vera, TheGentlemanBastard, Mark

(10-20-2018, 04:14 PM)Mathilda Wrote: I received my German passport today!

So happy.

Glad for you. But keep an eye out for AfD fuckers, newly born German citizen. Make sure to vote in the next elections.
The following 2 users Like abaris's post:
  • Deesse23, Thumpalumpacus

(10-02-2018, 05:36 PM)abaris Wrote: Honestly, I'd wish Johnson was at the helm to sell his hard brexit to the british people. I think that would finally show the emperor without cloths. That guy looks like an idiot and acts like one. Only, people don't seem to notice so far.

Don't wish too hard.  This is what happened to us here in the US and look what happened!   The Trumpanzees have taken over and no one seems to know right from wrong.  

My personal fantastic conspiracy theory: 

Both Donald T & Boris J are post WWII Soviet plants, deposited into their families in during the 50s "red scare" and the student riots of the 60s, respectively - to go unnoticed.  They were preprogrammed with post hypnotic suggestions to systematically destroy the highest political office each could attain. This would lay the groundwork for political absorption of the US & Britain into the New World Order. 

It felt good to get that out.     
Feel free to discuss in another thread.   Deadpan Coffee Drinker

As for Brexit - I haven't actually seen a responsible reason for the UK to leave the EU.  It will only serve to fuck up everything worked for over decades. 

Is it true that the SatNav won't work in Europe, after Brexit?    Or was that just a panicked punchline that hooked me?   Dodgy   

(Ok, I DID question it. How could  scientific instruments just stop working due to stupid politics, right?  But hey - our space shuttle exploded because of that so ... )

(10-20-2018, 04:32 PM)abaris Wrote:

So happy.

Glad for you. But keep an eye out for AfD fuckers, newly born German citizen. Make sure to vote in the next elections.

Voting is really important to me but when I lived in Germany I wasn't sure who I would even vote for so didn't bother establishing my German citizenship. But then it occurred to me, environmental issues are really important to me so maybe the Greens would be the ones to vote for. I'm now a member of the Green party in Scotland although haven't ever been to one of their meetings because it clashes with role playing.

Yeah yeah I know, priorities and all that. But D&D ..!

(10-20-2018, 05:01 PM)Mathilda Wrote:
(10-20-2018, 04:32 PM)abaris Wrote:

So happy.

Voting is really important to me but when I lived in Germany I wasn't sure who I would even vote for so didn't bother establishing my German citizenship. But I then it occurred to me, environmental issues are really important to me so maybe the Greens would be the ones to vote for. I'm now a member of the Green party in Scotland although haven't ever been to one of their meetings because it clashes with role playing.

Yeah yeah I know, priorities and all that. But D&D ..!

So Mathilda, what would happen to you if Scotland decided, "Fuck this, we're done with the UK and we're going back into the EU."?  

I have to say, I was really pushing for Scottish autonomy that last time it went up for vote.  And yes, I know a lot of people who were super pissed off when they voted to stay.    Shy

(10-20-2018, 05:28 PM)Kim Wrote: So Mathilda, what would happen to you if Scotland decided, "Fuck this, we're done with the UK and we're going back into the EU."?  

I have to say, I was really pushing for Scottish autonomy that last time it went up for vote.  And yes, I know a lot of people who were super pissed off when they voted to stay.    Shy

Well I'm hoping that I might one day end up with three passports!

I get the German one because my Dad's German and the British passport because I was born in England and my Mum's British. The UK doesn't mind people having dual citizenship. If Scotland gets its independence then they they are likely to give everyone living here a Scottish passport regardless of where they were born. Or at the very least if they were born in other parts of the UK. There is very much the attitude here that if you make Scotland you're home then you're Scottish.
The following 3 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • Kim, Alan V, Thumpalumpacus

So happy.

Yay for new Krauts! Approve   girl blushing
The following 2 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • Dom, Mathilda

I was going to put a status update on Facebook to say "Ich bin jetzt ein Kraut!"

But then I realised the German side of my family might get worried about me.
The following 1 user Likes Mathilda's post:
  • Kim

[Image: FB-IMG-1541189967679.jpg]
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 5 users Like Vera's post:
  • Deesse23, RobbyPants, Thumpalumpacus, TheGentlemanBastard, possibletarian

[Image: FB-IMG-1542225557607.jpg]
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 6 users Like Vera's post:
  • Dom, Deesse23, Unsapien, Marozz, Thumpalumpacus, Deltabravo

(11-14-2018, 08:01 PM)Vera Wrote: [Image: FB-IMG-1542225557607.jpg]

Too funny!  Big Grin
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

(11-14-2018, 08:01 PM)Vera Wrote: [Image: FB-IMG-1542225557607.jpg]

Oui Out
Big Grin

The British pound plunged on Thursday and is set for its second biggest drop this year as opposition mounted at Prime Minister Theresa May's draft deal for leaving the European Union.

Brexit Minister Dominic Raab and three other ministers resigned in protest against her plan, fueling a sell-off in the pound, which was already struggling to gain traction after May said on Wednesday she had won over her divided cabinet after a five-hour meeting.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/busines...es-n936521
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

I reckon there will be a vote of no confidence in Theresa May. That should be interesting. I cant see this deal going through. If it doesn't there are only two options left. A no deal brexit or a second referendum.

In any case, I guess the bill's ony the table for the british public to pay. I'm also sure that we will witness an exodus of international business from the UK to place on the continent. The city of London already had plans moving to Frankfurt.
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • Dom

I read over the key points of the deal on the Guardian website and have to say that it wasn't as bad as I feared. Obviously staying in Europe is better, but it means we get all the EU regulations without Westminster being able to fuck it up. No wonder the Brexiters hate it. Apparently the UK always come down on the side of big business whenever the EU have tried to bring in regulations to protects its citizens.

Not that I expect it to get passed and I will enjoy watching it fail.

But then I say that with a Scottish perspective of not trusting your government to do what's right for you but for someone else. It's time for rUK to become a vassal state and Scotland to leave and re-join the EU.

I’m enjoying watching the Conservative party tearing themselves apart for their own selfish means which in turn is tearing the UK apart. It’s also fun to see the DUP looking more miserable than they usually do, something I thought was not possible.

(11-15-2018, 01:15 PM)Marozz Wrote: I reckon there will be a vote of no confidence in Theresa May. That should be interesting. I cant see this deal going through. If it doesn't there are only two options left. A no deal brexit or a second referendum.

Any idea how a second referendum would be received by the EU?