Atheist Discussion
Do I really need a food processor? - Printable Version

+- Atheist Discussion (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Coffee House (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=104)
+--- Forum: Eats and Treats (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=162)
+--- Thread: Do I really need a food processor? (/showthread.php?tid=6768)

Pages: 1 2

Do I really need a food processor? - Dānu - 07-28-2021

I cook 1-2 dishes from scratch each week.

I have one of these:

[Image: shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7V5MbEgt3VwA__iuBQ...5-0jNIJTKm]

Do I really need one of these?

[Image: 812bvqYZ0lL._AC_SL1500_.jpg]

RE: Do I really need a food processor? - no one - 07-28-2021

It's definitely a handy kitchen gadget. Larger quantities in quicker time.

RE: Do I really need a food processor? - GenesisNemesis - 07-28-2021

Probably not if you don't cook that often and are OK with the extra work.

RE: Do I really need a food processor? - Astreja - 07-28-2021

A food processor is great for ionizing mass quantities of food (for example, shredding a couple of pounds of potatoes when making potato pancakes).  They do have downsides, however:
  • They're expensive.
  • They tend to be hard to clean (and there are quite a few parts to clean).
  • You may be S.O.L. if a key part breaks.  I have a Cuisinart that's currently out of service because the plastic sleeve over the motor shaft is broken, and Cuisinart no longer supports that model.  Until I can find a replacement sleeve (or a 3D printing pattern to manufacture one), it's just a lump of metal and plastic taking up shelf space.

RE: Do I really need a food processor? - Dom - 07-28-2021

I bought one that also shreds cheese, most don't. It only shreds hard cheeses I found out. I thought I would use it daily for veggies, instead it sat in the kitchen for almost a year, unused. Before I spend the time washing all the parts after use, I have long chopped everything by hand. Mine is awaiting a trip to the goodwill or someplace.

RE: Do I really need a food processor? - Dānu - 07-28-2021

I have a feeling my story will be like Dom's. My Ninja blenders which I bought to crush ice for cocktails have seen very little use. However, Best Buy has a fair one for $30 today, so I'll take a gamble. I have a couple of weeks to reconsider. I'll have to read up on them in the meantime. My main criterion is a wide-mouth chute, which this one has.

I've been thinking of reducing the number of Meals-On-Wheels meals that I have delivered each week. This past two weeks, I canceled half of my meals to leave more time to do my own cooking. There were times I didn't have a ready-made meal when I wanted one, but the opportunity to make use of all the food that I have on hand is a good thing.

RE: Do I really need a food processor? - jerry mcmasters - 07-28-2021

"To ask the question is to answer it."

(in other words, Yes)

RE: Do I really need a food processor? - c172 - 07-28-2021

I've never owned one but have seriously debated it. Big Food Processing PR really makes it look like a good thing to have. I do have a blender, but I couldn't even do a peanut sauce (pindasaus) without getting whole peanuts caught in the blade.

RE: Do I really need a food processor? - Dancefortwo - 07-28-2021

I have a nautral food processor and it was free.  It's called a stomach.   Winking

RE: Do I really need a food processor? - Kim - 07-28-2021

I looked on Amazon -
Hamilton Beach (a reputable brand) makes an 8 cup one for around $45. Looks pretty sturdy.
For another $5 they have a 10 cup version that looks heavier & seems to have more metal involved in the manufacturing.
Go with a smaller & cheaper one to try it out. After a year, you'll know if you want to upgrade to a larger version.

RE: Do I really need a food processor? - Gawdzilla Sama - 07-28-2021

Two people at home with different schedules. I have a mini food chopper I use for my salad soups. Otherwise the biggest gadget is the K-pod.

RE: Do I really need a food processor? - Gwaithmir - 07-28-2021

There are simpler and  less expensive models of food processors that can handle small quantities of veggies and other foodstuffs, suitable for persons just cooking for themselves. I have one that holds up to two cups. It can be rinsed clean with hot water. There are several different brands available on Amazon.

RE: Do I really need a food processor? - Gawdzilla Sama - 07-28-2021

(07-28-2021, 09:38 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote: There are simpler and  less expensive models of food processors that can handle small quantities of veggies and other foodstuffs, suitable for persons just cooking for themselves. I have one that holds up to two cups. It can be rinsed clean with hot water. There are several different brands available on Amazon.

1.5 cup Walmart knockoff:

[Image: f7cb5439-e4b8-4709-89dc-6a0b7f51e1bc_1.f...0e373.jpeg]

The one I ordered is comparable to the Hamilton Beech one that Kim mentioned. It's a good deal at $30, and the next tier are Cuisinarts at over $100. I think the controls on this one are likely easier for me than some of them are.

I'll have to spend some time researching what I can make with a food processor. I probably don't need one, but I'll never know without trying.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/bella-pro-series-8-cup-food-processor-black/6412369.p?skuId=6412369

[Image: 6412369_rd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550]

(07-28-2021, 10:15 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 09:38 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote: There are simpler and  less expensive models of food processors that can handle small quantities of veggies and other foodstuffs, suitable for persons just cooking for themselves. I have one that holds up to two cups. It can be rinsed clean with hot water. There are several different brands available on Amazon.

I considered something like that, but I like to make large batches of things. It's for cooking, not meal prep. Things like shredding chicken or grating cheese or blending ingredients. My thought was the small amount that those mini food processors hold would be too little.

(07-28-2021, 03:32 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 10:15 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

I considered something like that, but I like to make large batches of things.  It's for cooking, not meal prep.  Things like shredding chicken or grating cheese or blending ingredients.  My thought was the small amount that those mini food processors hold would be too little.

Most don't grate cheese, and those that do, grate only hard cheeses.

(07-28-2021, 03:35 PM)Dom Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 03:32 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 10:15 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: 1.5 cup Walmart knockoff:

I considered something like that, but I like to make large batches of things.  It's for cooking, not meal prep.  Things like shredding chicken or grating cheese or blending ingredients.  My thought was the small amount that those mini food processors hold would be too little.

I primarily use sharp cheddar, so that's not an issue. This one has a reversible grating / slicing blade. The main negative that I see is constantly having to clean it.

RE: Do I really need a food processor? - trdsf - 07-28-2021

I have a Cuisinart with all the blades and things... that I don't think I've used in ten years. Really, the only reason I have it is that it came from Grandma's kitchen.

Food processors are a convenience, but if you're not cooking for multiple people every day, they're not a necessity.

(07-28-2021, 03:37 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 03:35 PM)Dom Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 03:32 PM)Dānu Wrote: I considered something like that, but I like to make large batches of things.  It's for cooking, not meal prep.  Things like shredding chicken or grating cheese or blending ingredients.  My thought was the small amount that those mini food processors hold would be too little.

I primarily use sharp cheddar, so that's not an issue.  This one has a reversible grating / slicing blade.  The main negative that I see is constantly having to clean it.

Cheddar is too soft, it will clump. That's what I bought it for, too. No cigar. Parmesan and related hard cheeses work well.

I now just freeze the cheese and then crumble it.

(07-28-2021, 05:08 PM)Dom Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 03:37 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 03:35 PM)Dom Wrote: Most don't grate cheese, and those that do, grate only hard cheeses.

I primarily use sharp cheddar, so that's not an issue.  This one has a reversible grating / slicing blade.  The main negative that I see is constantly having to clean it.

Cheddar is too soft, it will clump. That's what I bought it for, too. No cigar. Parmesan and related hard cheeses work well.

I now just freeze the cheese and then crumble it.

Thank you for the info. I'm having second thoughts. I have two vegetable choppers, one that I got from Aldi's for $7 and one from eBay for $8. The Aldi's one works well, but doesn't have the blade options that I want. The eBay one has a larger selection of chopping sizes, but it doesn't work as well. Buying a vegetable chopper that both works well and has an adequate selection of blades would cost $20-30. Maybe that's a better use of my money. As noted, I still have time to think about it. I guess the problem is, as always, my hoarding. I'm very reluctant to give up such a good deal on one, even though it may be rationally outweighed by the things covered here.

RE: Do I really need a food processor? - Minimalist - 07-28-2021

Ha!  I married a food processor!

<ducks>   <runs>

RE: Do I really need a food processor? - Fireball - 07-28-2021

My food processor is my buccal cavity.  Big Grin

(07-28-2021, 06:20 PM)Fireball Wrote: My food processor is my buccal cavity.  Big Grin

RE: Do I really need a food processor? - Fireball - 07-28-2021

(07-28-2021, 10:17 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 06:20 PM)Fireball Wrote: My food processor is my buccal cavity.  Big Grin

ROFL2 Buccal=input, "Butta"=output, and never the twain shall meet!  Sun