Atheist Discussion
Do you like to cook, bake etc. etc. - Printable Version

+- Atheist Discussion (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Coffee House (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=104)
+--- Forum: Eats and Treats (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=162)
+--- Thread: Do you like to cook, bake etc. etc. (/showthread.php?tid=5424)

Pages: 1 2 3

Do you like to cook, bake etc. etc. - Bcat - 06-10-2020

I don't really like doing either or any...but I like to eat  Tongue I'm trying to get better about cooking things at home especially now but I still don't like it.

RE: Do you like to cook, bake etc. etc. - Dancefortwo - 06-10-2020

I hate it.  If I could just simply take a pill and have done with it that would be preferable to buying food, cooking, baking, scrubbing pots and pans setting the table and then the cleaning up everyday.   I've got many interests in life but food is not one of them.  I was not born with a food brain.

RE: Do you like to cook, bake etc. etc. - brewerb - 06-10-2020

Yes, but mostly the manly foods. Usually knives and fire are involved.

RE: Do you like to cook, bake etc. etc. - Dom - 06-10-2020

I like cooking as long as I cook what ever I like at the time, not so hot about cooking for others. Hubby was easy to please that way and just ate what I cooked, so that worked out fine. I love relaxing in the kitchen while cooking dinner. I have my best ideas and thoughts, it's an introspective time for me.

I rarely ever consult recipes, I have cooked for decades and know what I like. I shop what turns me on at the time, shopping lists are just for some basics I like to have around. Then I take the stuff I bought and make meals out of it. 

It's easy creativity for me, and very relaxing. Even living alone, I still cook a nice meal every night.

RE: Do you like to cook, bake etc. etc. - Alan V - 06-10-2020

Because of our out-of-sync sleeping schedules, my wife and I don't eat together very often.

She also has a large number of food sensitivities, so generally we don't eat the same kinds of food.

My wife doesn't cook. She microwaves a lot of pre-made foods for herself, like soup and frozen dinners.

But I do cook one meal for us at least once a week. I should do more, but prefer restaurant food. I also pick up restaurant food for both of us occasionally, though we still don't often eat it at the same time.

Neither of us has baked for decades since our oven doesn't work.

All of this sounds rather sad, but it is our reality.

RE: Do you like to cook, bake etc. etc. - no one - 06-10-2020

I ran a resort kitchen for several years.
Started as a line cook, worked my way up to executive chef.

RE: Do you like to cook, bake etc. etc. - julep - 06-10-2020

No.

RE: Do you like to cook, bake etc. etc. - GenesisNemesis - 06-10-2020

Depends what it is. If it's easy, then yes. Big Grin

RE: Do you like to cook, bake etc. etc. - Thumpalumpacus - 06-10-2020

I enjoy cooking. To me, it's a form of meditation, like improv music. I don't cook from any recipes (though I'll be working up @adey67's Turkish kebabs here soon). I cook about three times a week, and the cutting and prep and minding the stove put me in a zone. And when what I make hits my son's palate right -- or whomever -- the praise is sweet. It's an act of love, cooking for another human.

I don't really bake. I will do the occasional lasagna or meatloaf, but well over 90% of my cooking is either stovetop, or grilling.

It's even better now that we're back into barbecue weather.

RE: Do you like to cook, bake etc. etc. - SYZ - 06-10-2020

When I was much younger, I used to love cooking meals of different ethnicities for dinner parties with friends.
Indian, Turkish, Mexican, Greek... tried 'em all regularly.  Nowadays I only cook Aussie-type foods if I have to.
Steak, chips and corn; casseroles; fish pie; bangers 'n' mash; hamburgers etc.  I just can't be fucked any more
with all the buying and preparation with exotic meals.        Plus I haven't got any friends to cook for now LOL.

RE: Do you like to cook, bake etc. etc. - no one - 06-10-2020

Isn't it always barbeque weather in southern California?

RE: Do you like to cook, bake etc. etc. - Thumpalumpacus - 06-10-2020

(06-10-2020, 10:11 PM)no one Wrote: Isn't it always barbeque weather in southern California?

Not really, though I don't live there any more. Never grill steaks in an El Niño storm, that's fo' sho.

RE: Do you like to cook, bake etc. etc. - brewerb - 06-10-2020

(06-10-2020, 09:31 PM)no one Wrote: I ran a resort kitchen for several years.
Started as a line cook, worked my way up to executive chef.

But do/did you like it?

[Image: you-didnt-really-answer-the-question]

RE: Do you like to cook, bake etc. etc. - no one - 06-11-2020

It's a love hate relationship, food is easy, dealing with asshat patrons ruins the experience.

RE: Do you like to cook, bake etc. etc. - M.Linoge - 06-11-2020

I like doing both, when I'm not exhausted.

RE: Do you like to cook, bake etc. etc. - c172 - 06-11-2020

I like it, but I'm not obsessed, and food smells don't often please me. I used to sub to bon apetit on YouTube, before a race scandal broke out and one of the head honchos (who I actually liked) was seen in a racially charged pic. He just resigned, so I'll be curious how the channel evolves. I also sub to epicurious. But I hear that's a sister channel, so I need to investigate that further.

I'm fascinated by food, but don't like people being snots about it. I like what I like. You like what you like.

Tonight was not a shining night. Made some rice and beans with leftover steak, pork, rice, and black beans and pintos. But I literally assaulted my food with salt (inadvertently), so I tried bombing it again, but with apple cider vinegar. Better, but still not great. If I don't like salt-n-vinegar chips, I'm not likely to like salt-n-vinegar anything else.

RE: Do you like to cook, bake etc. etc. - Dānu - 06-11-2020

I neither like it nor dislike it. It's a means to an end for me. I like the idea of cooking. And I like new and interesting things: new foods, new cookware, new dishes, new appliances. And I looooove food. But the process itself, I can take it or leave it. It's like building and tearing down computers used to be for me. I would spend hours doing it when I was depressed because it was something satisfying that I could do to pass the time without any effort or thinking involved. It was just pure doing. Cooking is like that for me.

RE: Do you like to cook, bake etc. etc. - adey67 - 06-11-2020

I'm a real foodie although I am slightly restricted because I have to cook for an 83 year old who is prone to heartburn. But food is a huge part of my life which probably explains why I've gone from 76kgs to 125kgs in the last 4 years and have a.. ..... well lets put it this way, if my IQ was as high as my cholesterol I'd be a genius.

RE: Do you like to cook, bake etc. etc. - Szuchow - 06-12-2020

I don't mind doing it and when I find some new, exotic recipe I even enjoy it, same when I cook for someone else.

RE: Do you like to cook, bake etc. etc. - GenesisNemesis - 06-15-2020

Some things I like to cook: chili, stir fry, breakfast quesadillas. Not much else but I probably should expand my repertoire... getting pretty good at making chili and quesadillas, though.

RE: Do you like to cook, bake etc. etc. - trdsf - 06-15-2020

I love to cook. What holds me back is I hate doing the cleanup afterwards. Smile

RE: Do you like to cook, bake etc. etc. - Dānu - 06-15-2020

This came up with my therapist recently. She doesn't have an Instant Pot type cooker. I'd heard about them, and knew they were popular, but up until February last year, I had remained skeptical about them. But, as luck would have it, I noticed that Best Buy had their brand of Instant Pot on sale for $30, and so I thought to myself why not? That's hardly lunch money. I don't know that they're indispensable, but they're extremely useful. My favorites are cooking chili and ribs in them. Much easier. As a result, I've even bought a second, larger one, for making huge batches of chili. And I've had a similar experience with other things as well. I bought an air fryer for $40. Same principle. Spend a little to find out. Again, not indispensable, but darn useful. Rice cooker. Same thing. I already had a microwave rice cooker, but this standalone cooker was only $10 on Black Friday. It works great! It hasn't been all successes, though. I spent $150 on a Ninja blender and a Ninja food processor. They have uses, but the range of applications I need them for is much narrower. But I've had more successes than failures along the way, and I've managed to get quite a few excellent bargains along the way.

RE: Do you like to cook, bake etc. etc. - c172 - 06-15-2020

I just had to throw away a huge amount of food. It's easy to crockpot too much, and if you don't freeze it, you waste it. So there went about half my stash of rice, black and pinto beans, steak and pork. Mostly the batch that I over-vinegared. Only today did I think to add sugar, ketchup, lemon juice grape jelly and chinese 5-spice to save that other food.

So I did do that for tonight's Swedish-style meatballs and white rice. No clue if it's going to work, but we'll see.

RE: Do you like to cook, bake etc. etc. - Dom - 06-16-2020

(06-15-2020, 06:29 PM)Dānu Wrote: This came up with my therapist recently.  She doesn't have an Instant Pot type cooker.  I'd heard about them, and knew they were popular, but up until February last year, I had remained skeptical about them.  But, as luck would have it, I noticed that Best Buy had their brand of Instant Pot on sale for $30, and so I thought to myself why not?  That's hardly lunch money.  I don't know that they're indispensable, but they're extremely useful.  My favorites are cooking chili and ribs in them.  Much easier.  As a result, I've even bought a second, larger one, for making huge batches of chili.  And I've had a similar experience with other things as well.  I bought an air fryer for $40.  Same principle.  Spend a little to find out.  Again, not indispensable, but darn useful.  Rice cooker.  Same thing.  I already had a microwave rice cooker, but this standalone cooker was only $10 on Black Friday.  It works great!  It hasn't been all successes, though.  I spent $150 on a Ninja blender and a Ninja food processor.  They have uses, but the range of applications I need them for is much narrower.  But I've had more successes than failures along the way, and I've managed to get quite a few excellent bargains along the way.

I have an off brand instapot also and love it! It boils perfect eggs, soft or hard. I like making broth from bones - perfect as it's a pressure cooker. I use it as crockpot, you can use it as a frying pan. You can make your own yoghurt in it. You can steam in it. It's easy peasy to clean up. What's not to love.

RE: Do you like to cook, bake etc. etc. - tomilay - 06-16-2020

I use a Dutch oven.  A lot.  Between that and a pit master grill and smoker I am covered for the week.  I also love making lamb chops on a skillet.  My carbs are mainly air fried sweet and regular potatoes.  I can also make a mean roti.