Atheist Discussion
What Did You Learn Today 2.0 - Printable Version

+- Atheist Discussion (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Coffee House (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=104)
+--- Forum: Getting to Know You (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=148)
+--- Thread: What Did You Learn Today 2.0 (/showthread.php?tid=1511)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

What Did You Learn Today 2.0 - Vera - 10-08-2018

About sea butterflies.

[size=78%].

[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRIsPQHU-cm7rHkUA9A2...2MJgYsE9N-]

[Image: clione-with-suckers-611.jpg]

[Image: fleshy-pteropod-2-611.jpg][/size]

Re: What Did You Learn Today 2.0 - Gawdzilla Sama - 10-08-2018

[Image: Amazing_Logo_Gold.png]

Re: What Did You Learn Today 2.0 - M.Linoge - 10-10-2018

I learned today that "Since 1900, the Senate voted on eight Supreme Court nominees during an election year".

Mitch McConnell was defending his choice to block Obama's nominee. I suspect I missed some nuance to his excuse that no one has voted for a supreme court nominee in an election year since 1880, but I did some light digging for funzies.

Re: What Did You Learn Today 2.0 - Chas - 10-10-2018

(10-10-2018, 01:54 AM)M.Linoge link Wrote:I learned today that "Since 1900, the Senate voted on eight Supreme Court nominees during an election year".

Mitch McConnell was defending his choice to block Obama's nominee. I suspect I missed some nuance to his excuse that no one has voted for a supreme court nominee in an election year since 1880, but I did some light digging for funzies.

I assumed he was lying.  It saves time.  They always lie.

Re: What Did You Learn Today 2.0 - Gawdzilla Sama - 10-10-2018

I learned that people will insist on deploying in 1800 ships that were not begun until 1814, and in some cases never finished. This is why I avoid "what if" discussions, reality comes unraveled quickly.

RE: What Did You Learn Today 2.0 - Vera - 11-13-2018

About the toyi-toyi.

[Image: p06rb5ll.jpg]

As the South African jazz musician Hugh Masekela said, in reference to the state police, “Because we can’t beat these people physically, you can scare the shit out of them with our songs.”

The toyi-toyi, when it aims to intimidate, does just that. It is a collective dance that needs hundreds of participants to create a real sense of urgency, as each member of the crowd throws their knees up high and then stamps hard on the ground. Hands are raised above the head and each movement is accompanied by rhythmic chanting or singing. During apartheid, someone would usually cry ‘Amandla!’, meaning ‘power’, and the crowd would respond with ‘Awethu!’ – ‘to the people’.

[...]

Dr Gavin Walker: “[The toyi-toyi] has become one of the most easily recognisable pieces of protest culture in the world” (Credit: ANESH DEBIKY/Getty Images)
The toyi-toyi may have helped sculpt modern South Africa, but it is believed to have been invented by Rhodesian freedom fighters in modern-day Zimbabwe. It soon spread like wildfire to non-militants and was deployed in weekly battles against the police in townships around the country.
“When the toyi-toyi crossed the border, it bled into the performance culture that surrounds these protests and quickly became as a way of intimidating the apartheid defence forces,” Dr Walker said.
“They [black South Africans] weren’t armed and were facing powerful weapons with nothing but music on their side, and they needed something to galvanise them. It soon became a powerful tool, partly because it is such a physically demanding exercise – you’re bringing your knees up high, and this releases adrenaline, while the rhythm of it creates an external pulse and powerful collective atmosphere, which staves off fear."

(I'll very likely get obsessed with this channel in the following few days... Modest )

RE: What Did You Learn Today 2.0 - leerob - 11-19-2018

I learned:
* What a "k hole" is
* What omni sexual is
* What the difference between a grad school and a college is
* What "Code 4" means in police blabla
* That it is very easy to sleep 14 hours and still be tired

RE: What Did You Learn Today 2.0 - Vera - 11-27-2018

About rainbow swamps (nope, not a gay thing Angel )

"Jeff Ripple, a former Florida swamp walk leader, told the BBC: "The rainbow sheens found as a thin film on top of pooled water in swamps and marshes are the result of natural oils released by decaying vegetation or the biological processes of anaerobic bacteria reducing iron in soil."
Jeff explained that the water needs to be still for long periods in order for the rainbows to appear.
"Movement by sheet flow, current or wind disturbance would destroy the fragile rainbow film," he said.
He added that he normally sees the phenomenon in smaller areas.
Michael Hussey captured the rainbow sheen on his land in Tallahassee, FloridaImage copyrightMICHAEL HUSSEY"

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZW7j50T_AC2sSJc5NTTX...f9p-RAWymp]

[Image: img_0915.jpg]

[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTcfcysdP77aW5VYOrgu...blJH8QqhlF]

And here's the rainbow eucalyptus

[Image: 0QqvQx6h.jpg]

[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcREIK85JkCfY9m3mrPV9...ymohW_g9G-]

RE: What Did You Learn Today 2.0 - julep - 11-28-2018

I didn't learn the word "liminal" today, but I first encountered it a couple of months ago and since then I keep bumping into it in various texts. Today it was in a book I'm reading (Dopesick) about the opioid epidemic.

RE: What Did You Learn Today 2.0 - Capn Awesome - 11-29-2018

(11-19-2018, 05:23 AM)leerob Wrote: I learned:
* What a "k hole" is
* What omni sexual is
* What the difference between a grad school and a college is
* What "Code 4" means in police blabla
* That it is very easy to sleep 14 hours and still be tired

What is a k hole?

RE: What Did You Learn Today 2.0 - Vera - 12-27-2018

About Zermatism M1436

"Zermatism, Szukalski's concept of world history, postulated that all human culture derived from post-deluge Easter Island and that in all human languages one can find traces of the original, ancient mother-tongue of mankind. In his view, humanity was locked in an eternal struggle with the Sons of Yeti ("Yetinsyny"), the offspring of Yeti and humans, who had enslaved humanity from time immemorial. He claimed that the figures of the god Pan on Greek vases depict creatures that actually existed, the product of Yeti apes raping human women. Szukalski used his considerable artistic talents to illustrate his theories, which, despite their lack of scientific merit, have gained a cult following largely on their aesthetic value."

[Image: 22352223_328769120921012_721275706515914752_n.jpg]

[Image: howling.jpg]

[Image: amassiah_1947.jpg?itok=I-wrMiAJ]

(Someone actually recommended a recent movie about Szukalski life. Um, thanks, but (probably) no thanks.)

RE: What Did You Learn Today 2.0 - EvieTheAvocado - 12-27-2018

It looks like a religion founded by Dalí.

RE: What Did You Learn Today 2.0 - Vera - 03-01-2019

(03-01-2019, 10:48 PM)Dom Wrote: She hated the poor farrier.

The word farrier Blush

Also, about kangaroo words the other day: "a word that contains letters of another word, in order, with the same meaning. For example: the word masculine contains the word male, which is a synonym of the first word; similarly, the word observe contains its synonym see."

"destruction (ruin)
devilish (evil)
masculine (male)
observe (see)
plagiarist (liar)
rambunctious (raucous)supervisor (superior)

"Among the kangaroo words that yield the most joviality and joy are those that conceal multiple joeys. Let's now perambulate, ramble, and amble through an exhibit of this species. Open up a container and you get a can and a tin. When you have feasted, you ate and have fed. When you deteriorate, you rot and die. A routine is both rote and a rut. Brooding inside loneliness are both loss and oneness.
"A chariot is a car and a cart. A charitable foundation is both a fund and a font. Within the boundaries of a municipality reside city and unity, while a community includes county and city."

(Also, can we stickie this? Pretty please? I know it's not very popular now, but on TFTSNBN it was very popular and was going strong years after Misantrhopic started it. I think it's a great idea for a thread (which is why I stoleded it Modest )

RE: What Did You Learn Today 2.0 - SYZ - 03-01-2019

(03-01-2019, 11:12 PM)Vera Wrote: She hated the poor farrier.

...blossom and its joey "bloom".

RE: What Did You Learn Today 2.0 - SYZ - 03-02-2019

Me?

Not to open threads headed "What Did You Learn Today 2.0"

(Only kiddin' folks...)

RE: What Did You Learn Today 2.0 - Vera - 03-05-2019

About semi-identical or sesquizygotic twins:

"Young Brisbane twins, a boy and a girl, have been identified as only the second set of semi-identical, or sesquizygotic, twins in the world—and the first to be identified by doctors during pregnancy.

The now four-year-old boy and girl are identical (monozygotic) on their mother's side sharing 100 per cent of their mother's DNA, but are like siblings on their father's side, sharing only a proportion of their father's DNA.

Sesquizygotic represents a third type of 'twinning' between identical and fraternal (dizygotic).

"It is likely the mother's egg was fertilised simultaneously by two of the father's sperm before dividing," said Professor Fisk, who led the fetal medicine team that cared for the mother and twins while based at Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital in 2014. Professor Fisk, a past President of the International Fetal Medicine and Surgery Society, worked alongside Dr. Gabbett.

Identical twins result when cells from a single egg fertilised by a single sperm divide into two, so identical twins are the same gender and share identical DNA. Fraternal twins occur when each twin develops from a separate egg and the egg is fertilised by its own sperm.

Dr. Gabbett said if one egg is fertilised by two sperm it results in three sets of chromosomes, one from the mother and two from the father.

"Three sets of chromosomes are typically incompatible with life and embryos do not usually survive," he said.

"In the case of the Brisbane sesquizygotic twins, the fertilised egg appears to have equally divided up the three sets of chromosomes into groups of cells which then split into two, creating the twins.

"Some of the cells contain the chromosomes from the first sperm while the remaining cells contain chromosomes from the second sperm, resulting in the twins sharing only a proportion rather 100 per cent of the same paternal DNA."

Also, sologamy.

[Image: 8e467ffe1505ae804c8c812bb77ded73.gif]

Show ContentSpoiler:

Gives a whole new meaning to "All through the night, I, me, mine" (really like this song).

RE: What Did You Learn Today 2.0 - Vera - 03-06-2019

About transient anuses.

I don't think anything else I ever learn can top that. Or bottom it, as it were Deadpan Coffee Drinker

RE: What Did You Learn Today 2.0 - SYZ - 03-06-2019

(03-06-2019, 01:02 AM)Vera Wrote: I don't think anything else I ever learn can top that. Or bottom it, as it were Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Trump, it would seem, has a transient anus...

resim

RE: What Did You Learn Today 2.0 - Vera - 07-11-2019

About macrophilia - an increasingly popular sexual paraphilia in which individuals derive sexual arousal from a fascination with giants and/or a sexual fantasy involving giants. Such fantasies may include the macrophiles themselves shrinking in front of a normal sized person (male or female). Alternatively, macrophiles may fantasize about their sexual partner growing to an abnormal height while the macrophiles themselves remain unchanged.

[Image: jhPLWa.gif]

RE: What Did You Learn Today 2.0 - no one - 07-11-2019

The same damn sad thing I learn everyday.
People are dumber than I thought they were yesterday.

RE: What Did You Learn Today 2.0 - Alan V - 07-11-2019

I learned New Orleans got 9 inches of rain in three hours on Wednesday, flooding a lot of streets. The city is now expecting 10-17 more inches with the tropical storm in the gulf, and are afraid the levees will be overtopped by flooding.

"Tropical Storm Barry presents New Orleans with an unprecedented problem, according to the National Weather Service. The Mississippi River, which is usually at 6 to 8 feet in midsummer in the Big Easy, is now at 16 feet, owing to record flooding that's taken place this year all along the waterway. In the meantime, Barry is spinning away in the Gulf of Mexico, threatening a storm surge of 2 to 3 feet at the mouth of the river, said Jeffrey Graschel, a hydrologist with the weather service's Lower Mississippi River Forecast Center in Slidell, Louisiana. The unusual confluence of factors adds up to a forecast that has the river cresting Saturday at 19 feet, a level not seen since February 1950 and about 2.3 feet shy of the record set in April 1922, the weather service said Thursday."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/11/weather/new-orleans-flooding-trnd/index.html

RE: What Did You Learn Today 2.0 - Gwaithmir - 07-12-2019

Burger King has added $1 Tacos to the menu.  Tongue

RE: What Did You Learn Today 2.0 - jerry mcmasters - 07-12-2019

(07-11-2019, 08:13 PM)Alan V Wrote: I learned New Orleans got 9 inches of rain in three hours on Wednesday, flooding a lot of streets.  The city is now expecting 10-17 more inches with the tropical storm in the gulf, and are afraid the levees will be overtopped by flooding.

"Tropical Storm Barry presents New Orleans with an unprecedented problem, according to the National Weather Service.  The Mississippi River, which is usually at 6 to 8 feet in midsummer in the Big Easy, is now at 16 feet, owing to record flooding that's taken place this year all along the waterway.  In the meantime, Barry is spinning away in the Gulf of Mexico, threatening a storm surge of 2 to 3 feet at the mouth of the river, said Jeffrey Graschel, a hydrologist with the weather service's Lower Mississippi River Forecast Center in Slidell, Louisiana.  The unusual confluence of factors adds up to a forecast that has the river cresting Saturday at 19 feet, a level not seen since February 1950 and about 2.3 feet shy of the record set in April 1922, the weather service said Thursday."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/11/weather/new-orleans-flooding-trnd/index.html

Very scary.  New Orleans is basically at the bottom of a bowl.

RE: What Did You Learn Today 2.0 - jerry mcmasters - 07-12-2019

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:New_Orleans_Levee_System.gif

RE: What Did You Learn Today 2.0 - Kernel Sohcahtoa - 07-13-2019

I've recently become interested in understanding the theory underlying RSA encryption/decryption.  As a result, I learned about RSA via one of my books on number theory.  I enjoyed learning about the derivation of the decryption scheme from the encryption scheme, as it made use of Euler's theorem and multiple congruence properties to achieve the desired derivation.  There was also a second case of the derivation, which required one to make use of the fact that if a, b, and c are integers with gcd (a,b)=1 and a divides c and b divides c, then ab divides c; I've made use of this fact countless times when doing proofs in number theory.  

I actually started my exploration of Cryptography via the Caesar Cipher, since my number theory text started with it.  Basically, each letter in the alphabet is converted into an equivalent two digit number. The letter to numbers table goes as follows: 

A=00;  B=01; C=02; D=03; E=04; F=05; G=06; H=07; I=08

J=09; K=10; L=11; M=12; N=13; O=14; P=15; Q=16; R=17

S=18; T=19; U=20; V=21; W=22; X=23; Y=24; Z=25

We use the Caesar cipher as follows: suppose that we want to encrypt the plain text word "Yogi". 

Encryption

1) We convert each letter of the word to its two digit number: Y=25, O=14, G=06, I=08, so our message is expressed numerically as 25 14 06 08 (the spaces are for convenience). 

2) We then add 3 to each individual two digit number: 25+3=28, 14+3=17, 06+3=09, 08+3=11, so the encrypted message is now 28 17 09 11.  Now, if we obtain a number that is greater than 25, then subtract 26 from it and this will produce the desired encrypted number.  Thus, 28 – 26=02.  We now substitute 02 for 28 and the encrypted message is 02 17 09 11.  Converting this to letters gives the encrypted text CRJL.

Decryption

1) To decrypt the word CRJL, we convert each letter to its two digit number: C=02, R=17, J=09, L=11, so our message is expressed numerically as 02 17 09 11.  

2) We then subtract 3 from each individual two digit number: 02 – 3= 1, 17 – 3=14, 09 – 3=06, 11 3=08, so the decrypted message is 
1 14 06 08.  Now, if we obtain a number that is less than 0, then add 26 to it and that will produce the desired decrypted number.  Thus, 1+26=25. We now substitute  25 for 1 and the decrypted message is 25 14 06 08. Converting this to letters gives YOGI.

For anyone who is interested in practicing, here are some words that can be decrypted using the method described above:

(1) IUHHGRP

Show ContentSpoiler:

(2) CDQB

Show ContentSpoiler:

P.S. In math-speak, the actual representation for the encryption scheme is P+3≡C (mod 26) where P is the two digit plain text number and C is the two digit encrypted number.  The decryption scheme is represented as C – 3≡P (mod 26).