Atheist Discussion
Quotes Taken out of Context 2.0: The Real Deal - Printable Version

+- Atheist Discussion (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Coffee House (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=104)
+--- Forum: Off-topic (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=95)
+--- Thread: Quotes Taken out of Context 2.0: The Real Deal (/showthread.php?tid=1373)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Quotes Taken out of Context 2.0: The Real Deal - Vera - 10-01-2018

(Plagiarism,Tartarus, is the highest form of flattery. Or something  Girl_nails )

(10-01-2018, 06:53 PM)Dancefortwo link Wrote: The Pasta Police is on TOP of Vera. Grrrrr.

Re: Quotes taken out of context - SYZ - 10-01-2018

The theists just luuurve to misquote Darwin...

"To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree."

The "seems" of course makes this first sentence rhetorical.

They conveniently leave off the rest of the quote...

"When it was first said that the sun stood still and the world turned round, the common sense of mankind declared the doctrine false; but the old saying of Vox populi, vox Dei, as every philosopher knows, cannot be trusted in science.

Reason tells me, that if numerous gradations from a simple and imperfect eye to one complex and perfect can be shown to exist, each grade being useful to its possessor, as is certainly the case; if further, the eye ever varies and the variations be inherited, as is likewise certainly the case; and if such variations should be useful to any animal under changing conditions of life, then the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.

How a nerve comes to be sensitive to light, hardly concerns us more than how life itself originated; but I may remark that, as some of the lowest organisms in which nerves cannot be detected, are capable of perceiving light, it does not seem impossible that certain sensitive elements in their sarcode should become aggregated and developed into nerves, endowed with this special sensibility
".

Re: Quotes taken out of context - Tartarus Sauce - 10-01-2018

GODDAMIT I WAS GOING TO MAKE THE QUOTES TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT 2.0 THREAD!  Angry

Re: Quotes taken out of context - Aliza - 10-01-2018

(10-01-2018, 10:48 PM)Tartarus Sauce link Wrote: GODDAMIT I WAS GOING TO MAKE THE QUOTES TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT 2.0 THREAD!  >Big Grin

Snooze you lose.  Tongue

Re: Quotes taken out of context - Vera - 10-01-2018

Well, you created the first one to quote me, Tarty (about being off toe have a sex change operation I think), so its kinda only fair, a full circle and what have you  Girl_nails

(10-01-2018, 11:13 PM)Aliza link Wrote: Snooze you lose.  Tongue

Also, you booze, you snooze. Or sometimes bruise. Or schmooze. Might have done some of those these last couple of nights  Angel

Re: Quotes taken out of context - Tartarus Sauce - 10-01-2018

(10-01-2018, 11:24 PM)Vera link Wrote: Well, you created the first one to quote me, Tarty (about being off toe have a sex change operation I think), so its kinda only fair, a full circle and what have you  Girl_nails

Your memory is incorrect, the first post I made when I created the thread was a quote from Kingschosen.

Re: Quotes taken out of context - Vera - 10-01-2018

(10-01-2018, 11:26 PM)Tartarus Sauce link Wrote: Your memory is incorrect, the first post I made when I created the thread was a quote from Kingschosen.

[Image: School-bus-middle-finger.gif]

Fuck you, Tartarus, stop correcting me! I'm an extremely self-referential creature, everything revolves around me and nothing exists outside of me. So there.

Re: Quotes taken out of context - Tartarus Sauce - 10-02-2018

(10-01-2018, 11:28 PM)Vera Wrote:
Tartarus Sauce Wrote:Your memory is incorrect, the first post I made when I created the thread was a quote from Kingschosen.

[Image: School-bus-middle-finger.gif]

Fuck you, Tartarus, stop correcting me! I'm an extremely self-referential creature, everything revolves around me and nothing exists outside of me. So there.

To be fair, I did take your quotes out of context quite a bit in that thread, and I do remember the one you referenced, but your quote was definitely not the thread starter.

Okay, so I might as well post the original quote taken out of context that started it all. I've already referenced it in the Words I'd Like to Remember Thread, but it belongs here, too.

Quote: GAY BUTT SEX BECAUSE YOU'RE GAY

P.S. A bit of trivia, on the first page of the QTOC 1.0, we started off posting a link to the original quote before DLJ reminded us that we could just follow the green arrow. This is why we need him here.

Oh yeah and Vera, you didn't even do it right. It's the Quotes Taken Out Of Context 2.0. All of the words in legacy threads should be capitalized, because that's how they were on TT....I mean TFTSNBN, and also have 2.0 affixed to the end, because they are version 2.0.

Fix it!

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, I believe only the articles were left uncapitalized, so it would be The Quotes Taken Out of Context Thread 2.0.

(10-01-2018, 10:47 PM)SYZ link Wrote: The theists just luuurve to misquote Darwin...

"To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree."

The "seems" of course makes this first sentence rhetorical.

They conveniently leave off the rest of the quote...

"When it was first said that the sun stood still and the world turned round, the common sense of mankind declared the doctrine false; but the old saying of Vox populi, vox Dei, as every philosopher knows, cannot be trusted in science.

Reason tells me, that if numerous gradations from a simple and imperfect eye to one complex and perfect can be shown to exist, each grade being useful to its possessor, as is certainly the case; if further, the eye ever varies and the variations be inherited, as is likewise certainly the case; and if such variations should be useful to any animal under changing conditions of life, then the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.

How a nerve comes to be sensitive to light, hardly concerns us more than how life itself originated; but I may remark that, as some of the lowest organisms in which nerves cannot be detected, are capable of perceiving light, it does not seem impossible that certain sensitive elements in their sarcode should become aggregated and developed into nerves, endowed with this special sensibility
".

You're confused, this is a continuation of the original Quotes Taken Out of Context Thread, which was about taking the quotes of forum posters out of context, not about taking out of context the quotes of public figures or commentary upon such actions.

Also, 200 posts, bitches!

(09-29-2018, 08:11 PM)Dancefortwo link Wrote: I'm just playing with all the equipment now.

We know, it's what you like to do.

Re: Quotes taken out of context - SYZ - 10-03-2018

(10-02-2018, 04:44 AM)Tartarus Sauce link Wrote: You're confused, this is a continuation of the original Quotes Taken Out of Context Thread, which was about taking the quotes of forum posters out of context, not about taking out of context the quotes of public speakers or commentary upon such actions.

Also, 200 posts, bitches!

Ahhh... Now I see!  I truly appreciate you clarifying this for me you cunt.     Tongue

Re: Quotes taken out of context - Tartarus Sauce - 10-04-2018

Oh, I see, you put a 2.0 in all the other legacy threads you've started, but not the one you GODDAMN STOLE FROM ME!  >Big Grin

Fix it, Vera!

Re: Quotes taken out of context - Vera - 10-05-2018

(10-05-2018, 08:05 PM)LonaWolf link Wrote: Always paddle your own canoe.

(It stands)

(10-04-2018, 01:50 PM)Tartarus Sauce link Wrote: Oh, I see, you put a 2.0 in all the other legacy threads you've started, but not the one you GODDAMN STOLE FROM ME!  >Big Grin

Fix it, Vera!

Make me!

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=3540781]

Re: Quotes taken out of context - Tartarus Sauce - 10-05-2018

You've ruined my baby, this is unforgivable. Shame on you! Shame!

(10-05-2018, 08:54 PM)Tartarus Sauce link Wrote: You've ruined my baby, this is unforgivable. Shame on you! Shame!

[Image: 2YYaCzNgOFaTWNV6_glHochdViRcOEHA3J6YebaY...20-h126-nc]

Re: Quotes taken out of context - Gawdzilla Sama - 10-06-2018

(10-06-2018, 07:29 PM)Unsapien link Wrote:So I guess I'm like a leaf on the wind...I'm willing to go wherever Aliza & Mathilda are willing to blow us.

RE: Quotes Taken out of Context 2.0: The Real Deal - Tartarus Sauce - 10-17-2018

Thank you for finally fixing it, you are forgiven.....mostly.

RE: Quotes Taken out of Context 2.0: The Real Deal - Vera - 10-25-2018

(10-25-2018, 04:15 PM)Emma Wrote: Vera's picture above is the one giving me trouble.  Undecided

Join the club, Emma!  Girl_nails

RE: Quotes taken out of context - EvieTheAvocado - 10-25-2018

(10-01-2018, 10:48 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote: TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT

RE: Quotes Taken out of Context 2.0: The Real Deal - Emma - 10-25-2018

(10-25-2018, 05:30 PM)Vera Wrote:
(10-25-2018, 04:15 PM)Emma Wrote: Vera's picture above is the one giving me trouble.  Undecided

OMG lulz!!  ROFL2

You know I didn't mean that! Right? Ooof.  girl blushing

RE: Quotes Taken out of Context 2.0: The Real Deal - Vera - 10-27-2018

(10-25-2018, 06:50 PM)Emma Wrote:
(10-25-2018, 05:30 PM)Vera Wrote:

OMG lulz!!  ROFL2

You know I didn't mean that! Right? Ooof.  girl blushing

Do I now? Whistling

RE: Quotes Taken out of Context 2.0: The Real Deal - TheGulegon - 10-27-2018

(10-18-2018, 03:11 AM)Aliza Wrote: Because I like rabbit poop, okay?  Razz

BackwardsSlowly