Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm a Reverand!

I'm a Reverand!
Couldn't decide where to post this, but yeah, I'm now a re-newed Reverend of the Universal Life Church.  I was once before about 1970, but I lost the documentation.  So I signed up again.

You don't have to refer to me by title (because it isn't technically "Rev Cavebear" and I don't spread my last name around all that much).  But you can if you want. According to the site, I can legally officiate at weddings.  I even have a certificate to hang on the wall!

Woo-hoo!
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 5 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Aractus, Inkubus, adey67, Joods, Gwaithmir

I'm a Reverand!
Congratulations.  As I posted in another thread I'm a Dudist Priest so I can marry people.  It's kinda fun.  I also have a certificate and a Dudist Priest card in my wallet.  I don't think I can marry people in Utah but most states will allow you and I to marry people.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Cavebear

I'm a Reverand!
I'll stick with the FSM if it is okay with you.

[Image: a97KzN6_700bwp.webp]
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 4 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Dom, Cavebear, Inkubus, Free

I'm a Reverand!
FYI - despite widespread misunderstanding and misuse,  ""Reverend" is not a title - it a modifier of a title. It is an adjective, not a noun.

Properly, is is The Reverend Mr. Cavebear or The Reverend Dr. King.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 3 users Like Chas's post:
  • Cavebear, c172, Free

I'm a Reverand!
(09-04-2023, 11:03 PM)Chas Wrote: FYI - despite widespread misunderstanding and misuse,  ""Reverend" is not a title - it a modifier of a title. It is an adjective, not a noun.

15 minutes ago I thought "OK, just fall into bed". But I checked emails and here first. I'm glad I did. People like you light up my life (in a very positive way). It's probably why I'm here. It never occurred to me to question the structure and use of the title "Reverend". So I looked it up. I found this...

"There's no one correct answer to this question, because usage differs among faiths and sects. Reverend is usually a courtesy title for Protestant Christian ministers or pastors. It's not an official rank, it's an adjective indicating respect for the position. It's similar to saying "The Honorable Judge Forcythe" or "Your honor" in court. The judge does not have a title of "The Honorable" the title is probably Judge. The adjective is there to indicate respect, not to identify a specific job.

While it's often used as a title, it comes from use as an adjective meaning meaning worthy of respect or reverence

Some sects actually consider it inappropriate or offensive to use the title Reverend for a person, as they consider it a title reserved for God.

In Catholicism, it is usually used along with an actual title. For example, The Very Reverend Bishop Furley. Bishop is the title, Very Reverend is a way to indicate this bishop is particularly worthy of respect. A Catholic priest could be called Reverend, but could also be called Father.

You may also see "Right Reverend" used in the Episcopal and Anglican churches for bishops, and "Most Reverend" for archbishops.

A pastor is a role, a position or "job" if you wish. You could call Mr. Smith "Pastor Smith" the same way you would say "Farmer Brown" or "Doctor Jones".

A member of the clergy could be a pastor, a priest, a minister, a deacon, some other title. A deacon can be Catholicy clergy under a priest, but could also be a lay position in a Protestant church.

Generally speaking, if someone is referred to as "Reverend Smith" you can assume they are a member of the clergy, probably Protestant, but you can't be sure of their exact position or title.

As a result of this, reverend has become a noun in some cases. "Mr. Smith is the reverend at our church." This is technically not correct in most cases, though it's possible some sects could use it as an official title.

So to answer the question, it depends on the faith of the person you are introducing. There is no one correct answer to this question, you need to deal with this on a case-by-case basis."

I usually try to think, "learn something new every day". I did today. Thanks... Big Grin
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • c172

I'm a Reverand!
The FSM doesn't care what you call him.... as long as you turn the heat off while he is still al dente!
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Fireball, Cavebear, pattylt

I'm a Reverand!
(09-05-2023, 01:26 AM)Minimalist Wrote: The FSM doesn't care what you call him.... as long as you turn the heat off while he is still al dente!

...and one licks his meatballs.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

I'm a Reverand!
(09-05-2023, 01:26 AM)Minimalist Wrote: The FSM doesn't care what you call him.... as long as you turn the heat off while he is still al dente!

He boiled for your sins.

I'm a Reverand!
(09-04-2023, 06:55 PM)Cavebear Wrote: Couldn't decide where to post this, but yeah, I'm now a re-newed Reverend of the Universal Life Church.  I was once before about 1970, but I lost the documentation.  So I signed up again.

You don't have to refer to me by title (because it isn't technically "Rev Cavebear" and I don't spread my last name around all that much).  But you can if you want. According to the site, I can legally officiate at weddings.  I even have a certificate to hang on the wall!

Woo-hoo!

A certificate? I'll see your Daz coupon Juju man qualification and raise you a plot of land on the moon:

Quote:Perhaps the most beautiful of all lunar properties ... We are proud to offer splendid parcels in the Sea Of Clouds ("Mare Nubium" in Latin), located in the spectacular southwestern sector, with near-by access to the Crater Birt, Crater Nicollet and Rupes Recta ("The Straight Fault").

If you believe the views from Earth are stunning, wait until you take a close-up view for yourself of this remarkable region!

True dat

I'm a Reverand!

I respect the Flying Spaghetti Monster, but "to the tooth" is a bit chewy. I give mine that extra minute. I dated a girl from an Italian family as a teen. The first time I ate dinner with them, it was a surprise. It was chewy spaghetti with a thin tomato sauce. It felt like eating bread with ketchup. In my family (English and French), spaghetti was more about the thick meaty tomato sauce and the pasta was just sort of a holder for it. LOL!
The following 3 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • adey67, pattylt, Joods

I'm a Reverand!
(09-04-2023, 06:55 PM)Cavebear Wrote: Couldn't decide where to post this, but yeah, I'm now a re-newed Reverend of the Universal Life Church.  I was once before about 1970, but I lost the documentation.  So I signed up again.

Woo-hoo!

Will you hear my confession Father Cavebear?
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast
The following 1 user Likes adey67's post:
  • Cavebear

I'm a Reverand!
It's parody, it has to be.

Emergency Wedding Package:

[Image: emergency-wedding-package.png]

Quote:Do you have to perform a wedding in a hurry? The emergency wedding package includes everything an ordained minister needs to officiate a ceremony in a flash.

$34.99...

DOCUMENT NOTICE:
  • Your documents must have your legal name.
  • Verify that the information is true and correct.
  • If you are performing a wedding, you may need to add the Letter of Good Standing.
  • This package may not meet all the requirements for certain locations, we highly urge you to contact the local county clerk before performing a marriage so that you will be fully informed on what you need before performing the ceremony.

Err, if it's that much of an emergency then why don't the two numpties get there arses down to the county clerks office and get married there? And what the fuck is an emergency wedding?
I suppose you could be one of those retard death row junkies and your fiance 'Dennis The Disemboweler' has lost his final appeal and will meet Old Sparky tomorrow morning. Consider
The following 1 user Likes Inkubus's post:
  • Gwaithmir

I'm a Reverand!
(09-05-2023, 09:25 AM)Cavebear Wrote:

I respect the Flying Spaghetti Monster, but "to the tooth" is a bit chewy.  I give mine that extra minute.  I dated a girl from an Italian family as a teen.  The first time I ate dinner with them, it was a surprise.  It was chewy spaghetti with a thin tomato sauce. It felt like eating bread with ketchup.  In my family (English and French), spaghetti was more about the thick meaty tomato sauce and the pasta was just sort of a holder for it.  LOL!

There are many paths to the FSM, my son.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Cavebear

I'm a Reverand!
(09-05-2023, 12:08 PM)adey67 Wrote:

Woo-hoo!

Will you hear my confession Father Cavebear?

I will hear your confessions, but keep any salacious ones to yourself. Those are between your id and ego, I think. Or something like that. LOL! General ones about ethical failures are OK. Like" I stole a candy bar as a child or I took some small thing from a friend" are more in my range of forgiveness. And my services are free. No tithes or anything...
  • adey67

I'm a Reverand!
(09-05-2023, 02:43 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
(09-05-2023, 09:25 AM)Cavebear Wrote: I respect the Flying Spaghetti Monster, but "to the tooth" is a bit chewy.  I give mine that extra minute.  I dated a girl from an Italian family as a teen.  The first time I ate dinner with them, it was a surprise.  It was chewy spaghetti with a thin tomato sauce. It felt like eating bread with ketchup.  In my family (English and French), spaghetti was more about the thick meaty tomato sauce and the pasta was just sort of a holder for it.  LOL!

There are many paths to the FSM, my son.

The paths to Enlightment and Universal Life Understanding are many and varied. The FSM, God, Allah, Mitrha, Odin, etc are all symbolic. But they are all thoughts in our minds to represent human concerns about purpose, hopes, and fears about mortality.

I'm a Reverand!
I became a minister in the Universal Life Church about five years ago. I just wanted to show my ordination certificate to my family over the lunch table to freak them out. "But you're an atheist!" my brother exclaimed. "What qualified you to be a minister?" I pointed out that I had ten years of comparative religious study under my belt and had read six versions of the Bible in their entirety and 500+ books on religions and philosophy. My mother and sister were too astonished to offer comments and quickly changed the subject.  Big Grin
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Joods, Cavebear

I'm a Reverand!
(09-07-2023, 05:02 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(09-05-2023, 02:43 PM)Minimalist Wrote: There are many paths to the FSM, my son.

The paths to Enlightment and Universal Life Understanding are many and varied.  The FSM, God, Allah, Mitrha, Odin, etc are all symbolic.  But they are all thoughts in our minds to represent human concerns about purpose, hopes, and fears about mortality.

But the FSM tastes best.   Not like some dried-wafer that this jesus fucker produces!
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Dom, Cavebear

I'm a Reverand!
(09-07-2023, 10:56 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote: I became a minister in the Universal Life Church about five years ago. I just wanted to show my ordination certificate to my family over the lunch table to freak them out. "But you're an atheist!" my brother exclaimed. "What qualified you to be a minister?" I pointed out that I had ten years of comparative religious study under my belt and had read six versions of the Bible in their entirety and 500+ books on religions and philosophy. My mother and sister were too astonished to offer comments and quickly changed the subject.  Big Grin

Well, yeah, mostly the certificate is just to hang on the wall. It demonstrates how easy it it to start a religion and how fake they can be.

But the wallet card can be useful. Decades ago, I was in a meeting with a rather obnoxious PhD about some minor telecommunications issue. She insisted on me calling her "Doctor". So I showed her my card and told her she had to address me as "Reverend".

I worked in Washington DC. PhDs are a dime a dozen around here. But there aren't a whole of Reverends. So she agreed to drop the titles... And she was later fired for incompetence... Loved that!

Oh, about your family. I haven't read 500 books and 6 versions of the Bible, but I has a few good ones about religion (that seem sufficiently informative) and have read King Jasme's a few times. I don't pretend to know all the details of either, but I think I know enough for a good discussion (and I can always look up some things).

At family dinners, we don't discuss religion much. None of us are much interested about it.
  • Gwaithmir

I'm a Reverand!

So... The Reverend Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Okay fine. Let us pray.

Dear Lord, thank you for these noodles.

Ramen.

(You can shoot me now)
Welcome to the Atheist Forums on AtheistDiscussion.org
The following 1 user Likes Free's post:
  • Cavebear

I'm a Reverand!
We are Non-Violent.

[Except for fucking vegans.]
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Cavebear

I'm a Reverand!
(09-05-2023, 12:17 AM)Cavebear Wrote: In Catholicism, it is usually used along with an actual title. For example, The Very Reverend Bishop Furley. Bishop is the title, Very Reverend is a way to indicate this bishop is particularly worthy of respect. A Catholic priest could be called Reverend, but could also be called Father.

I don't think that I've ever heard "Reverend" used for Catholic priests.

For example, one can quibble about whether or not Phil Berrigan was a priest or not after he married Liz McAlister, but I generally refer to him as Father Phil Berrigan. 

I do remember once somebody asking Phil whether or not he preferred to be called "Father", and he was pretty indifferent about it. He didn't care.

(I've had him as a cellmate on a couple of occasions.)
test

I'm a Reverand!
(11-08-2023, 01:10 PM)pythagorean Wrote:
(09-05-2023, 12:17 AM)Cavebear Wrote: In Catholicism, it is usually used along with an actual title. For example, The Very Reverend Bishop Furley. Bishop is the title, Very Reverend is a way to indicate this bishop is particularly worthy of respect. A Catholic priest could be called Reverend, but could also be called Father.

I don't think that I've ever heard "Reverend" used for Catholic priests.

For example, one can quibble about whether or not Phil Berrigan was a priest or not after he married Liz McAlister, but I generally refer to him as Father Phil Berrigan. 

I do remember once somebody asking Phil whether or not he preferred to be called "Father", and he was pretty indifferent about it. He didn't care.

(I've had him as a cellmate on a couple of occasions.)

Ok, I'll be the sad twat who asks:

pythagorandom, There's a bunch of guys here on the edges of their seats wanting to know how you and Father Phil Berrigan ended up in the slammer.
Now take your time don't miss anything out. Well apart from the videos, fascinating as they are.

Theirs a good lad.

I'm a Reverand!
I was in Baltimore for grad school, which is also where Jonah house is located, so it was kind of hard not to run into him if you are involved in antiwar activities. Jonah House was a hub for activism.
test

I'm a Reverand!
(09-04-2023, 11:03 PM)Chas Wrote: FYI - despite widespread misunderstanding and misuse,  ""Reverend" is not a title - it a modifier of a title. It is an adjective, not a noun.

But is he a revered reverent reverend, or an irreverent reverend ?
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Cavebear

I'm a Reverand!
(11-08-2023, 08:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:

But is he a revered reverent reverend, or an irreverent reverend ?

Sorry, I've never had the detailed exposure to various religions where I would have learned the slight differences among reverends, priests, ministers, fathers, etc. And that is just the christian titles. Tongue