Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black salve or god salve us all

Came across a post about a woman who saw something weird about her nipples, figured it was gunk (huh?!) and decided to clean them with her electric toothbrush. hobo

Now, hold your retching and instinctive nipple clutching because it gets worse. When things - predictably - got much much worse (do you know how bacteria-infested mouths are?!), she ("not trusting biopsies" - her words), started treating whatever horror was happening there with turpentine, colloidal silver and... black salve.

And then, in my innocence, I went and looked it up. FAIR WARNING: Do not click the link or google it if you're in any way squeamish. Better yet, just don't click it. Trust me.

"Black salve is a pseudoscientific alternative cancer treatment. The product is commonly classified as an escharotic—a topical paste which destroys skin tissue and leaves behind a scar called an eschar. It typically contains a caustic chemical called zinc chloride, as well as bloodroot, a native herb that can be thought of as poison ivy on steroids. It’s ironic that people seek it out as a “natural” therapy when it mostly just may be a stew of caustic chemicals that form a pasty “corrosive topical agent capable of indiscriminately damaging healthy and diseased tissue alike…”

Cancer salves were first utilized during the Victorian period. As the medical profession started to gain better understanding, many home remedies, black salve as one example started to be criticized by medical professionals. An example of this is documented and labeled as a form of quackery in a 1955 Time magazine article:

A 37-year-old housewife had a skin condition that later proved not to be a cancer. Convinced that it was, she had gone to a backwoods healer, who applied a salve. Soon a quarter-sized hole disfigured her nose, opened up the nasal cavity. Duke's plastic surgeons had to build her a new nose.

Common ingredients of black salves include zinc chloride, chaparral (also known as creosote bush), and often bloodroot, a plant frequently used in herbal medicine. The extract of bloodroot is called sanguinarine, a quaternary benzophenanthridine alkaloid which attacks and destroys living tissue and is also classified as an escharotic."

I can totally understand people in the past, when faced with a cancerous growth they had no way of treating, choosing something that literally corrodes it... even if it killed healthy tissue too.

That people are still peddling this today - and, even more scarily, people are choosing it over proven treatments - is utterly horrifying.

I do understand the despair of those for whom medicine can't do anything, I get it they're grasping at the tiniest of straws and I don't even blame them. I do absolutely blame those who sell desperate people useless and/or dangerous treatments, making money off the desperation of dying people. I also have zero sympathy or tolerance for those who have other, real treatment options, but still choose woo and often, promote it to others. They are actively making the world worse and deserve to live in the dark ages, subsisting on tree bark and bloodlettings.
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 3 users Like Vera's post:
  • Unsapien, Thumpalumpacus, Minimalist

What happened to the woman with the toothbrushed nipples?
god, ugh
The following 1 user Likes julep's post:
  • Kim

[Image: delight-nipples.gif]
The following 1 user Likes Inkubus's post:
  • Vera

(08-27-2022, 04:52 PM)julep Wrote: What happened to the woman with the toothbrushed nipples?

[Image: q8pdugkedvi91.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a...ff39fbd3cf]
[Image: xssl0izedvi91.jpg?width=720&format=pjpg&...19bdbbd797]
[Image: wp3eno9fdvi91.jpg?width=720&format=pjpg&...597cec0552]

I admit I couldn't quite finish it, by the second slide my nipples had curled into the fetal position, muttering to themselves and refusing to go on existing and so had my brain hobo

And in case someone says, ah, this is reddit, it's not true, even if this one isn't (and sadly, it most probably is), after "discovering" black salve, I read enough real stories, on proper, scientific sites (not to mention seeing THE PHOTOS Panic ) to know that people have done even worse to themselves (and, apparently, to others - someone in the comments said their mother treated a couple of their warts with black salve).

And then there is the Mineral Miracle Supplement: "an aqueous solution of chlorine dioxide, an industrial bleaching agent, and it has been falsely promoted as a cure for illnesses including HIV, cancer and the common cold. It is made by mixing aqueous sodium chlorite with an acid (such as the juices of citrus fruits or vinegar). This produces chlorine dioxide, a toxic chemical that can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and life-threatening low blood pressure due to dehydration.

Sodium chlorite, the main precursor to chlorine dioxide, is itself toxic if ingested. It causes acute kidney failure in high doses. Lower doses (~1 gram) can be expected to cause nausea, vomiting, inflammation of the intestines (producing so-called "rope worms") and even life-threatening reactions in persons with Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency."

Oh, and in case you're not feeling bad enough already, apparently parents give this to their children, both orally and as an enema, to "cure them from autism".

And then, there's "Jilly Juice, a quack pseudomedicine in the form of a fermented drink that is falsely claimed by its proponents to be able to cure an assortment of conditions, including cancer and autism spectrum disorders, as well as regenerate missing limbs, reverse the effects of aging, and "cure" homosexuality."

Like I've been saying forever, those who peddle this shit need to be permanently removed from society. The means don't even concern me much - jail, force-feeding them bleach, same difference.
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • Szuchow, Thumpalumpacus

(08-27-2022, 05:22 PM)Vera Wrote:
(08-27-2022, 04:52 PM)julep Wrote: What happened to the woman with the toothbrushed nipples?

[Image: q8pdugkedvi91.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a...ff39fbd3cf]
[Image: xssl0izedvi91.jpg?width=720&format=pjpg&...19bdbbd797]
[Image: wp3eno9fdvi91.jpg?width=720&format=pjpg&...597cec0552]

I admit I couldn't quite finish it, by the second slide my nipples had curled into the fetal position, muttering to themselves and refusing to go on existing and so had my brain hobo

And in case someone says, ah, this is reddit, it's not true, even if this one isn't (and sadly, it most probably is), after "discovering" black salve, I read enough real stories, on proper, scientific sites (not to mention seeing THE PHOTOS  Panic ) to know that people have done even worse to themselves (and, apparently, to others - someone in the comments said their mother treated a couple of their warts with black salve).

And then there is the Mineral Miracle Supplement: "an aqueous solution of chlorine dioxide, an industrial bleaching agent, and it has been falsely promoted as a cure for illnesses including HIV, cancer and the common cold. It is made by mixing aqueous sodium chlorite with an acid (such as the juices of citrus fruits or vinegar). This produces chlorine dioxide, a toxic chemical that can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and life-threatening low blood pressure due to dehydration.

Sodium chlorite, the main precursor to chlorine dioxide, is itself toxic if ingested. It causes acute kidney failure in high doses. Lower doses (~1 gram) can be expected to cause nausea, vomiting, inflammation of the intestines (producing so-called "rope worms") and even life-threatening reactions in persons with Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency."

Oh, and in case you're not feeling bad enough already, apparently parents give this to their children, both orally and as an enema, to "cure them from autism".

And then, there's "Jilly Juice, a quack pseudomedicine in the form of a fermented drink that is falsely claimed by its proponents to be able to cure an assortment of conditions, including cancer and autism spectrum disorders, as well as regenerate missing limbs, reverse the effects of aging, and "cure" homosexuality."

Like I've been saying forever, those who peddle this shit need to be permanently removed from society. The means don't even concern me much - jail, force-feeding them bleach, same difference.

Scared Jesus Fucking Christ...
god, ugh
The following 1 user Likes julep's post:
  • Vera

(08-27-2022, 03:45 PM)Vera Wrote: ...And then, in my innocence, I went and looked it up. FAIR WARNING: Do not click the link or google it if you're in any way squeamish. Better yet, just don't click it. Trust me.

You did warn me but Inky always knows best. Nolink

And speaking of nipples: What is sad nipple syndrome and do you have it?

"Here’s a question that will either seem very odd, or immediately resonate: when your nipples are touched, do you feel suddenly, strangely, very sad?

In the comments section, thousands of people have shared that they experience the same, strange thing of feeling sad, morose, or just weird when their nipples are touched.

‘It’s like a really weird sinking feeling like impending doom or really bad nostalgia I hate it,’ wrote one person.

‘It’s almost like disgust w myself or sadness idek,’ said another.

One woman wrote: ‘It’s like homesickness and guilt.’

Others described the feeling as icky, a sense of violation, hollow, and soul-less. The idea of homesickness comes up a lot, as well as a sense of grief.

Basically, it’s a strange, unpleasant, emotional feeling, prompted by any touching of the nipple.

‘Homesick is exactly it,’ Beth tells us. ‘And mournful. I feel like I’m a woman waiting for her husband to return from war, or like I’ve just realised I forgot to do something and the consequences are awful."

That's about enough internet for me for a year or so.

[Image: giphy.gif]

(I rather liked Travis when I was younger. Should listen to some of their stuff one of these days)
The following 1 user Likes Vera's post:
  • Inkubus

I don't like my wife touching my nipples, even by accident.

(08-27-2022, 10:07 PM)Thingymebob Wrote: I don't like my wife touching my nipples, even by accident.

I don't like my nipples getting touched either (even by me, it's kinda painful, unless it's just a momentary brush, anything longer is uncomfortable bordering on painful).

But the "I'm a woman waiting for her man to come back from war" bit just slayed me.

I do occasionally get a sort of a deep but vague sad feeling out of nowhere that for some reason I associate with just needing a bit of water. Nothing so ridiculously specific like being a freaking war widow though.
The following 1 user Likes Vera's post:
  • Thingymebob

(08-27-2022, 10:03 PM)Vera Wrote: And speaking of nipples: What is sad nipple syndrome and do you have it?

"Here’s a question that will either seem very odd, or immediately resonate: when your nipples are touched, do you feel suddenly, strangely, very sad?

In the comments section, thousands of people have shared that they experience the same, strange thing of feeling sad, morose, or just weird when their nipples are touched.

‘It’s like a really weird sinking feeling like impending doom or really bad nostalgia I hate it,’ wrote one person.

‘It’s almost like disgust w myself or sadness idek,’ said another.

One woman wrote: ‘It’s like homesickness and guilt.’

Others described the feeling as icky, a sense of violation, hollow, and soul-less. The idea of homesickness comes up a lot, as well as a sense of grief.

Basically, it’s a strange, unpleasant, emotional feeling, prompted by any touching of the nipple.

‘Homesick is exactly it,’ Beth tells us. ‘And mournful. I feel like I’m a woman waiting for her husband to return from war, or like I’ve just realised I forgot to do something and the consequences are awful."

That's about enough internet for me for a year or so.

[Image: giphy.gif]

(I rather liked Travis when I was younger. Should listen to some of their stuff one of these days)

Travis, no. 'One of these days' yes.

After all these years that wee video is still mesmerizing.

If you're going for active treatment, get sound medical advice. When my truck ain't running right, I don't go to the neighbor who's actually a pharmacist, I go to -- wait for it -- an auto-repair shop. Why should I treat my most-prized possession, my own body, with any less respect?

Hell, most of the time I just leave the damned thing alone and it goes away.
On hiatus.

(08-27-2022, 10:11 PM)Vera Wrote:
(08-27-2022, 10:07 PM)Thingymebob Wrote: I don't like my wife touching my nipples, even by accident.

I don't like my nipples getting touched either (even by me, it's kinda painful, unless it's just a momentary brush, anything longer is uncomfortable bordering on painful).

But the "I'm a woman waiting for her man to come back from war" bit just slayed me.

I do occasionally get a sort of a deep but vague sad feeling out of nowhere that for some reason I associate with just needing a bit of water. Nothing so ridiculously specific like being a freaking war widow though.

I get a sad feeling just looking at my nipples and everything that surrounds them.

I'm not going to tell you how depressed I feel when I take my underpants off.
The following 1 user Likes Thingymebob's post:
  • Vera

Dom. Lock this thread and overwrite it with binary before something horrible happens.
The following 2 users Like Inkubus's post:
  • Fireball, Thumpalumpacus

(08-27-2022, 10:34 PM)Inkubus Wrote: Dom. Lock this thread and overwrite it with binary before something horrible happens.

Don't worry. I don't do photos.

(08-27-2022, 10:18 PM)Thingymebob Wrote: I get a sad feeling just looking at my nipples and everything that surrounds them.

I'm not going to tell you how depressed I feel when I take my underpants off.

Get @Dancefortwo to tell you the story of someone's balls hanging so low they were touching the water in the toilet bowl. Pretty sure it was dance who was telling it anyway. Was ages ago and despite my terrible (think early onset senility) memory, this one has stuck with me through the years. Have even mentioned in elsewhere and people reacted pretty much the way I did...

[Image: police-coco.gif]

Speaking of years ago and (avoiding) looking at oneself, I should probably change my profile pic here, it's ancient Consider

(08-27-2022, 10:11 PM)Vera Wrote:

I'm the opposite.  It's the second most erogenous zone on my body.  I'll say no more.   Modest
                                                         T4618

(08-27-2022, 11:55 PM)Vera Wrote: ...to tell you the story of someone's balls hanging so low they were touching the water in the toilet bowl.

Mark my words no good will come of this.

I'm cool with some nipplin'.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Fireball, Thingymebob

I'm outta here.  BackwardsSlowly
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)