Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holy crap

Holy crap
(04-16-2022, 08:43 PM)abaris Wrote: Yeah. I'm asking myself, if you really are as opposed to the right as you make it seem. Today, medical science is above calling these people mentally ill. Same as with gay people, who for the longest time, have been called mentally ill also.

By all means, ask yourself that all you want, it's what 's healthy. Western medical science maybe does say this isn't mental illness which arguably it is doing for political reasons as opposed to scientific ones. Any actual rationalist knows this. 

As to the right, I'm opposed to the right when they espouse something stupid like anti  abortion nonsense or religious nonsense. Of course tit for tat, I oppose the left for being asinine as well. I care about reason and rational inquiry not political nonsense. That's why I'm an atheist in the first place.

Holy crap
(04-16-2022, 08:53 PM)Free2think Wrote: I care about reason and rational inquiry not political nonsense.

Aha.

I guess that's why you argue against medical science of the 21st century. Very reasonable, indeed.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Holy crap
(04-16-2022, 08:55 PM)abaris Wrote: Aha.

I guess that's why you argue against medical science of the 21st century. Very reasonable, indeed.

Or why I argue against politicized pseudo science in a 21st century society leaning toward dystopia. Lies cover the truth they don't erase it.

Holy crap
(04-16-2022, 08:47 PM)Free2think Wrote: Nope, can't do that. See, I'm just getting started. 

[Image: Download-free-joker-wallpapers.png?u=htt...=1&p=0&a=0]

Well, if you were thinking that this forum might be a good hangout for you, you might want to rethink your approach. Doesn't look like you're on the right track for productive conversations.
The following 3 users Like Aliza's post:
  • SYZ, abaris, Szuchow

Holy crap
(04-16-2022, 09:01 PM)Aliza Wrote: Well, if you were thinking that this forum might be a good hangout for you, you might want to rethink your approach. Doesn't look like you're on the right track for productive conversations.

Sounds like you want to shut someone up you can't argue with.

Holy crap
(04-16-2022, 07:35 PM)Free2think Wrote: I posted a link to a YouTube video. Did it not show? I can see it on my end.

Although you've only been on this forum for a very short time, it would appear
that you've decided to post deliberately inflammatory comments just for the sake
of it.  When you post a YouTube link, the idea is that you also include your personal
opinion of its content; effective, balanced, nonsensical, worthy of debate etc.

What's actually so funny with your comebacks re the video is that you seem to think
that Marsha Blackburn's absurd question "what is a woman" effectively nailed Ketanji
Brown Jackson to her cross.  Which of course it didn't—rather it was yet another
example of how desperate the Republicans are to gain some positive ground in the
face of their falling public favour.  It also points up how intellectually challenged is
Blackburn, who ultimately made a total fool of herself.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Holy crap
(04-16-2022, 09:01 PM)Aliza Wrote: Doesn't look like you're on the right track for productive conversations.

This has all the signs of one of those sad, obnoxious souls who charge in, galloping on their hobby horse (usually some loony theory of their own or, in less original cases such as this one, your garden variety bigotry).

They're not here to have conversations. They're here to expostulate ad nauseam about their pet theory/theories because people in their real lives are sick to death of listening to the same old tired BS day in day out.

Would be sad if they weren't so full of prejudice and bigotry most of the time.
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 4 users Like Vera's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Aliza, Szuchow, SYZ

Holy crap
(04-16-2022, 09:08 PM)Free2think Wrote: Sounds like you want to shut someone up you can't argue with.

Correct. This isn't a big argument forum.

But disagreements are great for conversation. It helps us all grow. We love diverse viewpoints as long as we can all be respectful and mature about it.

Holy crap
(04-16-2022, 08:47 PM)Free2think Wrote: See, I'm just getting started. 

I wouldn't hold my breath, if I were you.

And joker pics? What are you, a 15-year-old incel? Dear lord.
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 

Holy crap
(04-16-2022, 09:13 PM)Aliza Wrote: Correct. This isn't a big argument forum.

But disagreements are great for conversation. It helps us all grow. We love diverse viewpoints as long as we can all be respectful and mature about it.

Sounds like a good place for me than I've got a lot of view points. Just wait and see!
The following 1 user Likes Free2think's post:
  • Aliza

Holy crap
(04-16-2022, 09:14 PM)Free2think Wrote: Sounds like a good place for me than I've got a lot of view points. Just wait and see!

You sound a lot like the dude who got banned a few days ago. 

The name escapes me.
The following 5 users Like Thingymebob's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Vera, Thumpalumpacus, Aliza, Szuchow

Holy crap
I only have my view point, and it's the one that is always right, so, nana nana boo boo, stick your head in doo doo.

I win!
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • Dom

Holy crap
Quote:USA Today:

Scientists, gender law scholars and philosophers of biology said Jackson's response was commendable, though perhaps misleading. It's useful, they say, that Jackson suggested science could help answer Blackburn's question, but they note that a competent biologist would not be able to offer a definitive answer either. Scientists agree there is no sufficient way to clearly define what makes someone a woman, and with billions of women on the planet, there is much variation.

Referring to a woman as a woman in an ordinary situation is typically no big deal. However, defining the word for legal purposes is a different thing altogether.

No doubt the OP has noticed that biological, philosophical, and legal terminologies are much more convoluted. In the case of a legal issue, lawyers argue different points of view and judges decide between them, by how they relate to legal precedents. I believe that's what Jackson answered.
The following 2 users Like Alan V's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Thumpalumpacus

Holy crap
(04-16-2022, 09:18 PM)Thingymebob Wrote: You sound a lot like the dude who got banned a few days ago. 

The name escapes me.

Yeah, he, too, was bragging about just getting started...

... only to last all of half an hour or something.
The following 1 user Likes Vera's post:
  • Thingymebob

Holy crap
(04-16-2022, 09:12 PM)Vera Wrote: This has all the signs of one of those sad, obnoxious souls who charge in, galloping on their hobby horse (usually some loony theory of their own or, in less original cases such as this one, your garden variety bigotry).

They're not here to have conversations. They're here to expostulate ad nauseam about their pet theory/theories because people in their real lives are sick to death of listening to the same old tired BS day in day out.

Would be sad if they weren't so full of prejudice and bigotry most of the time.

I wonder if they're a Sam Harris fan. Sam has been peddling racist nonsense about racial IQ lately.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • abaris, Vera

Holy crap
(04-16-2022, 09:08 PM)Free2think Wrote: Sounds like you want to shut someone up you can't argue with.

No. People are already showing you the respect you seem to deserve in their opinion.

(04-16-2022, 09:24 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: I wonder if they're a Sam Harris fan. Sam has been peddling racist nonsense about racial IQ lately.

Harris is a racist scumbag. Always was, always will be. He's also rabidly anti muslim. Not the religion or it's fanaticism, but all muslims.

(04-16-2022, 09:18 PM)Thingymebob Wrote: You sound a lot like the dude who got banned a few days ago. 

The name escapes me.

Cultsmasher. No, it's a different kind of breed. At least using different "arguments".
The following 2 users Like abaris's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, SYZ

Holy crap
(04-16-2022, 08:53 PM)Free2think Wrote: ... Western medical science maybe does say this isn't mental illness which arguably it is doing for political reasons as opposed to scientific ones ...

You don't come across as having the medical education to make that determination, so you wind up appearing to dismiss as "political" any science you can't comprehend and because you can't comprehend it you deem it nonsense, a tiresome habit that afflicts far too much of humanity.
The following 3 users Like airportkid's post:
  • abaris, julep, Vera

Holy crap
Quote:Everyone knows what a woman is, an adult human female.

Everyone knows what a troll is, too.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Holy crap

Sounds like you throw insults without cause. If I were you, I'd try to tread lighter.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

Holy crap
(04-16-2022, 09:46 PM)Dom Wrote: Sounds like you throw insults without cause. If I were you, I'd try to tread lighter.

You're not me and what ever I do I have a reason. Like I said, I'm just getting started.

Holy crap
(04-16-2022, 09:43 PM)airportkid Wrote: You don't come across as having the medical education to make that determination, so you wind up appearing to dismiss as "political" any science you can't comprehend and because you can't comprehend it you deem it nonsense, a tiresome habit that afflicts far too much of humanity.

Know what else afflicts humanity? Lying for political reasons. Don't worry though I see right through that BS

Holy crap
(04-16-2022, 08:12 PM)Free2think Wrote: Fine? Everyone knows what a woman is, an adult human female.

Great.
If "everyone knows what a woman is", why would they waste time asking the question,
and if everyone knows what a woman is, why would she have to answer such a stupid question ?
You answered your own question.
Test
The following 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Vera, GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus

Holy crap
OK, I have a conspiracy theory of my own. That's two people now who got banned right after they were spluttering about how they're just getting started.

[Image: cd85c8e7d3e51e5e2fb5bdcc24934ba570e65500.gif]

(I can't believe I wasted a Greg Egan quote on this sad little piece of trash though)
The following 3 users Like Vera's post:
  • Thingymebob, abaris, Dom

Holy crap
(04-16-2022, 10:11 PM)Vera Wrote: OK, I have a conspiracy theory of my own. That's two people now who got banned right after they were spluttering about how they're just getting started.

You think, that gave it away? Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Holy crap
Cough, cough.
The following 2 users Like Thingymebob's post:
  • Fireball, GenesisNemesis