Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
religion surveys

religion surveys
I came across this survey:

[Image: religious.jpg]

And many others, they are here:

https://commons.trincoll.edu/aris/files/...mplete.pdf
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Cavebear

religion surveys
I think I'll never understand how in the name of all that's not really holy, is Catholic (and the rest of them) different from Xtian? What exactly IS Christian then?

(Like I've mentioned before, I was a self-taught religionist so to me everyone who believed (worship isn't really a word we use here) in the Xtian god was just that, a Xtian. And to my naive mind, we were all basically the same... Boy, was I wrong in more ways than one, apparently.)

(Apparently there ain't no Greeks or Russian or any other Orthodoxes over there...)
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 1 user Likes Vera's post:
  • c172

religion surveys
(12-06-2021, 11:59 PM)Vera Wrote: I think I'll never understand how in the name of all that's not really holy, is Catholic (and the rest of them) different from Xtian? What exactly IS Christian then?

(Like I've mentioned before, I was a self-taught religionist so to me everyone who believed (worship isn't really a word we use here) in the Xtian god was just that, a Xtian. And to my naive mind, we were all basically the same... Boy, was I wrong in more ways than one, apparently.)

(Apparently there ain't no Greeks or Russian or any other Orthodoxes over there...)

In the US, catholic is a christian religion, one of many. All the others tend to look down on catholics. I suppose because they once split off and invented their own versions.

religion surveys
(12-07-2021, 12:02 AM)Dom Wrote: In the US, catholic is a christian religion, one of many. All the others tend to look down on catholics. I suppose because they once split off and invented their own versions.

No, I get this, but among all the denominations there's... Xtian. Which technically they all are...

God, I miss my younger, naive self...

Utterly unrelatedly, but apparently this is a greek cross. Never knew (was in my stupid book)

resim

Me, I just call it a plus sign  girl blushing

Then again, if they can't even agree on a cross....

[Image: different-types-of-crosses-and-their-meanings-image.jpg]
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 1 user Likes Vera's post:
  • Dom

religion surveys
(12-07-2021, 12:05 AM)Vera Wrote:
(12-07-2021, 12:02 AM)Dom Wrote: In the US, catholic is a christian religion, one of many. All the others tend to look down on catholics. I suppose because they once split off and invented their own versions.

No, I get this, but among all the denominations there's... Xtian. Which technically they all are...

I don't know why christian is listed separately, probably it's just a catch-all. Some here probably know a lot more than me...

religion surveys
Jehovah's Witnesses seem to be most apolitical. I guess they're most "It's all in God's hands so fuck it."
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Gwaithmir

religion surveys
(12-06-2021, 11:59 PM)Vera Wrote: I think I'll never understand how in the name of all that's not really holy, is Catholic (and the rest of them) different from Xtian? What exactly IS Christian then?

I've only know one Greek Orthodox Christian and that was in California.  There are quite a few Russian Orthodox Christians in the Portland area and I've driven past a Ukranian Orthodox church.  I don't know if that's the same thing as a Russian Orthodox church.

It's very interesting that the largest group of people in that survey who are Democrats are Jewish.
                                                         T4618

religion surveys
Twenty nine million 'No religion.' That can't be right.

religion surveys
(12-07-2021, 12:58 AM)Inkubus Wrote: Twenty nine million 'No religion.' That can't be right.

We climbin' the ladder, baby.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Tres Leches

religion surveys
(12-07-2021, 12:58 AM)Inkubus Wrote: Twenty nine million 'No religion.' That can't be right.

Not the same as atheist, though. "No religion" for most Americans is translated as meh, what's for dinner? rather than fuck all religion.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 1 user Likes Tres Leches's post:
  • Inkubus

religion surveys
(12-06-2021, 11:35 PM)Dom Wrote: I came across this survey:

Twenty years old. I’d like to see more recent figures. I think there would be significant changes at this point. 

So much imprecision/overlap as well that the figures don’t make a lot of practical sense.
god, ugh

religion surveys
(12-07-2021, 01:42 AM)Tres Leches Wrote:

Not the same as atheist, though. "No religion" for most Americans is translated as meh, what's for dinner? rather than fuck all religion.

-Teresa

As long as they aren't putting money in the plates of those phony bastards they are okay in my book.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Tres Leches, Fireball

religion surveys
(12-07-2021, 12:10 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Jehovah's Witnesses seem to be most apolitical.  I guess they're most "It's all in God's hands so fuck it."

When you're rooting for the end of the world it doesn't matter so much who gets to be the last president.
The following 3 users Like Paleophyte's post:
  • Deesse23, Vera, Alan V

religion surveys
(12-07-2021, 12:10 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Jehovah's Witnesses seem to be most apolitical.  I guess they're most "It's all in God's hands so fuck it."

Odd that you mention this. I have one who is a customer, and we spoke just the other day. He said they frown at other Christian sects who get involved in government stuff, and are disgusted at what is happening with Christians in the USA. They want nothing to do with politics.
Welcome to the Atheist Forums on AtheistDiscussion.org

religion surveys

What population surveyed? What date? Who did the survey?
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

religion surveys
(12-07-2021, 12:08 AM)Dom Wrote:
(12-07-2021, 12:05 AM)Vera Wrote:

I don't know why christian is listed separately, probably it's just a catch-all. Some here probably know a lot more than me...

It's how the subjects responded to the question. Some won't identify their denomination (they often attend Baptist churches though ) as well as some who aren't practicing but haven't yet got to the point of publicly stating they don't believe.

religion surveys
(12-07-2021, 08:44 AM)Cavebear Wrote:

What population surveyed?    What date?    Who did the survey?

US 2001
The following 1 user Likes Mr Greene's post:
  • Cavebear

religion surveys

It's all in the intro there. Also, it compares surveys from different dates, it has a ton of surveys.

religion surveys
(12-07-2021, 01:50 AM)julep Wrote:

Twenty years old. I’d like to see more recent figures. I think there would be significant changes at this point. 

So much imprecision/overlap as well that the figures don’t make a lot of practical sense.

That's why I started the thread, different surveys will hopefully be posted. They can then be compared.

religion surveys
In the US the only "high church" traditions of any scale are Catholicism and Anglicanism (in the form of the Episcopalian church). The latter however tones down the clerical garb and architecture quite a bit compared to the Catholics. Catholics have been a minority here and in fact JFK, our first Catholic president, had to go to some lengths to ease the angst of protestants that he wasn't going to be taking orders from the Vatican. He managed to overcome it with his trademark charm, and now that this particular taboo has been broken, Biden could assume the presidency as a Catholic with hardly a mention, even in our present state of polarization. There is more hay to be made claiming he's a communist (just writing that made me burst out laughing) or an evil leftist, or even godless.

The other controversy is whether Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, and to a much lesser extent, Seventh Day Adventists are classifiable as Christians. Those groups claim to not only be Christian, but of course, the only true Christians -- they are all reform movements, claiming to restore some long-lost orthodoxy to the Church. But many Christians regard them as cults because, particularly in the case of the JWs, they hold heretical views on certain things. The JWs deny the Trinity, and the deity of Jesus. The Mormons deny sola scriptura. The Adventests aren't in so much trouble as their main sin has been to pick a different day to worship, which is far less central doctrinally and almost pointless to argue about, really.

I think the reason Catholics are in a separate mental box and considered Christian on a technicality by many here is because their liturgy and custom is SO different, and it's not a culture fit with evangelicalism that dominates. Also, there are leftover racist elements, as the Irish and Italians and other minorities largely established Catholicism in this country, so they are also culturally "other".
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • Inkubus

religion surveys
(12-06-2021, 11:35 PM)Dom Wrote: I came across this survey...

Unfortunately, 20-year-old data is meaningless.

Most Atheist Countries 2021.

The term "atheist" is slightly ambiguous. It is frequently applied to a wide range of spiritual
stances, from people who've simply never considered the existence of a higher power to those
who have thought deeply about it and passionately reject the notion that any such beings exist.
However, this broad use is actually quite controversial, as there are those who argue that merely
being unaware of or indifferent toward the idea of deities is instead "non-religion" or "irreligion,"
and that true atheism requires the individual to have considered, but dismissed the possibility
that deities exist.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

religion surveys
(12-07-2021, 02:09 PM)SYZ Wrote:

Unfortunately, 20-year-old data is meaningless.

Most Atheist Countries 2021.

The term "atheist" is slightly ambiguous. It is frequently applied to a wide range of spiritual
stances, from people who've simply never considered the existence of a higher power to those
who have thought deeply about it and passionately reject the notion that any such beings exist.
However, this broad use is actually quite controversial, as there are those who argue that merely
being unaware of or indifferent toward the idea of deities is instead "non-religion" or "irreligion,"
and that true atheism requires the individual to have considered, but dismissed the possibility
that deities exist.

It's a thread for surveys. Feel free to post updated versions or different aspects or timing.

religion surveys
(12-07-2021, 09:44 AM)Mr Greene Wrote:

US 2001

Sorry. I missed the "2001" on the top. Fox News is getting to me... "Ignore what you don't want to see". I need to wear my reading glasses more often...

religion surveys

I do notice that atheists are more "independent" than any other group but Buddhists. It actually was an informative graphic. I did not mean to dismiss it in any way.

religion surveys
(12-07-2021, 02:17 PM)Dom Wrote:
(12-07-2021, 02:09 PM)SYZ Wrote:
Unfortunately, 20-year-old data is meaningless...
It's a thread for surveys. Feel free to post updated versions or different aspects or timing.

Well yeah, I understand that, but we need to apply some historical relevance to the
data represented in any surveys we link to.  And 20-year-old data is obviously long
out of date demographically.  In 2019 the US population was 281 million; it's now
330 million. In 1919, 67% of US adults belonged to a church, synagogue or mosque;
In 2020 that figure was ~47% —a change primarily due to the rise in Americans with
no religious preference, or unaffiliated.

Over the past two decades, the percentage of Americans who do not identify with any
religion has grown from 8% in 1998-2000, to 13% in 2008-2010. and 21% over the
past three years.

—Gallup, 29 March 2021.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Dom