Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are parents technically your god?

(07-08-2021, 07:49 PM)Minimalist Wrote: My parents are dead.

Very ungodlike of them.

Nietzsche would said that it is very godlike of them.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • vulcanlogician

I can see the analogy you're going for there, but as my parents exist and god doesn't, there is a huge difference there Smile

Our parents act accordingly to the same process that all other animals in the world "protect your young" - Human beings are different in that we take longer to mature mentally/physically [all for a trade off in brain power] so by the time you late teens/early 20's you're finally, hopefully good to go on you own.

As for your dreams going down the toilet - things happen man. I always wanted to be a pro wrestler, even did it for a few years, but it just didn't pan out - i met my wife [first met at 18], had a child [by age 22] so I had responsibilities. Meanwhile friends of mine actually DID go on to accomplish that same dream, and now work for WWE - so there we go. it's not a life thing, it's a determination/mind set thing - if I was 100% committed, I would have done what I wanted to do. Now my life revolves around my daughter, and my new dream is keeping her happy/healthy. I have a good life and a good/well paying job - everything else is just extra.

Children might confer god-like qualities upon their parents I suppose but that doesn't make them gods, even metaphorically.

All they are really doing is projecting their need for safety, security, and protection upon their parents. Eventually they take back their projections and adjust their expectations, or should, if they're psychologically healthy. Also if the parents are psychologically healthy they will not take advantage of the naiveté / ignorance of their young children by play-acting the role, nor will they demand hero-worship or any other kind of worship.

It is a well known fact that children under the age of about 10 or so have quite a bit of difficulty separating fact from fiction / myth / pretend. How they regard their parents is no different.
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • Minimalist, Inkubus

My father certainly acted like he was my god. He was a bible thumping, overbearing tyrant who physically abused me until I was big enough to hit back. He never acknowledged me as his social equal, even after I had served 2½ years in Vietnam. I didn't shed so much as a single tear for him at his funeral.
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 6 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • julep, jerry mcmasters, Szuchow, Thumpalumpacus, vulcanlogician, skyking

(07-09-2021, 08:48 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: My father certainly acted like he was my god. He was a bible thumping, overbearing tyrant who physically abused me until I was big enough to hit back. He never acknowledged me as his social equal, even after I had served 2½ years in Vietnam. I didn't shed so much as a single tear for him at his funeral.

That is rough.  Sad and sorry it had to be like that for you or for anyone.
The following 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Gwaithmir, adey67

(07-09-2021, 08:48 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: My father certainly acted like he was my god. He was a bible thumping, overbearing tyrant who physically abused me until I was big enough to hit back. He never acknowledged me as his social equal, even after I had served 2½ years in Vietnam. I didn't shed so much as a single tear for him at his funeral.
Nor should you have. I've known people in similar circumstances. I know a guy who was not physically abused nor was his father overtly overbearing -- just not emotionally present or supportive in any way, judgmental, and let his third wife push his natural children out of the family circle in favor of her own brood -- and that is painful enough. There is a lot of pain in he and his siblings, depression, anxiety, all of it. It's no small thing to transcend. No one should have to endure it.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • Gwaithmir

I like to think if my Dad was more God-like, he would have been nicer.
Formerly WiCharlie Sun

(07-10-2021, 01:24 PM)WICharlie Wrote: I like to think if my Dad was more God-like, he would have been nicer.
Like a lot of god questions, it boils down to which god you are referring to. The authoritarian asshole of the evangelicals, or the meek and gentle pacifist pushed by some others, or something in between.

(07-11-2021, 12:27 AM)mordant Wrote: Like a lot of god questions, it boils down to which god you are referring to...

[Image: flying-spaghetti-monster-for-dark-colors...1623702458]

Sorry... couldn't resist.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Alan V, Gwaithmir

(07-08-2021, 05:11 AM)skyking Wrote:
(07-08-2021, 02:13 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: No.
You only get two.
They want want's best for you.
Ease up on them ... they'll ease up on you.
Go to your grandparents. Ask them for advice. You'll never regret it.

my grandparents were worthless sacks of shit, so your mileage may vary a bit on that.
Big Grin

Only one in four in my case. Her main concerns in life were the doilies on the backs of the chairs, getting the heart of the watermelon slices, and having her palm read. The other 3 were pretty rational.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Alan V

(07-07-2021, 02:24 PM)seaside Wrote: I dont believe in "Authority figure" because i think you lose sense of individuality that way

But on a philosophical spectrum. They feed you, clothe you etc. You dont even have your own money yet. Its when you get income and then in your mid 20s when you dont have a job, your dreams go down the drain.. thats when paradise sorta becomes fallen.

Just how i see it, since as a child and teen you dont have much worries til in mid adulthood. The typical era of mental pressure and crisis.

So i`ve wondered if people see it this way?

Does starting all these threads fill the hole that religion has left you with?
The following 3 users Like RobbyPants's post:
  • julep, Deesse23, TheGentlemanBastard