Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The boozer vault.

The boozer vault.
(04-03-2021, 01:17 AM)trdsf Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 04:40 PM)Dom Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 04:07 PM)Dānu Wrote: Total Wine had a bottle of ouzo on sale, and yesterday was the final day.  They didn't have it at the Roseville store, but I figured that I'd go to the Bloomington store and pick up the Glenfarclas 21 at the same time.  They had the ouzo, but the Glenfarclas was MIA, despite their inventory showing they had six bottles.  Anyway, this will allow me to spend a day or two thinking over my choice.  There are a number of less expensive whiskeys on the list like the Lagavulin 16 and the Talisker 10, as well as the Chivas Regal.

Ouzo is evil stuff!

That depends entirely on what you do with it.  I find it undrinkable on its own, but I am a little disturbed to say that I actually like a Vulcan Mind Meld: ½ ouzo, ½ Jägermeister.  Yes, I know it sounds revolting, but it really does work somehow.

I like Jaegermeister (the flavor, not the effect so much, I enjoy in small doses), but am not so fond of Ouzo and Raki. In Turkey, they often thin it with water, which makes it look white. Weird. But too much like licorice to me.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

The boozer vault.
(04-03-2021, 01:13 AM)trdsf Wrote:
(04-02-2021, 11:39 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: My bottle of anisette made the appraiser almost swoon. It was produced pre-war. Pre-WWI.

Hell, just reading that almost made me swoon.  Seriously, century-plus-old anisette?  (fans self) Why, I do believe I have the vapors...

My man isn't given to histrionics but he handled the bottle very carefully. First time he's ever been unable to give me a value off the top of his head. I put a "red necklace" on that bottle. (Red zip tie means special to Boss Lady. If I kick it she can sort easily.)
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

The boozer vault.
(04-03-2021, 02:35 AM)Dom Wrote:
(04-03-2021, 01:17 AM)trdsf Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 04:40 PM)Dom Wrote: Ouzo is evil stuff!

That depends entirely on what you do with it.  I find it undrinkable on its own, but I am a little disturbed to say that I actually like a Vulcan Mind Meld: ½ ouzo, ½ Jägermeister.  Yes, I know it sounds revolting, but it really does work somehow.

I like Jaegermeister (the flavor, not the effect so much, I enjoy in small doses), but am not so fond of Ouzo and Raki. In Turkey, they often thin it with water, which makes it look white. Weird. But too much like licorice to me.
It's the strange combination of the two that cancels out the unpleasantness of both.  The Jäger genuinely kills ouzo's unpleasant edge.  Something similar happens with a Drazi Election, a "what were you thinking?!" drink of my own concoction: float half a shot of absinthe on top of half a shot of crème de violette.  The sweet floral chaser of the crème de violette kills absinthe's harsher edges and moderates the anise magnificently.
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 2 users Like trdsf's post:
  • Dom, Kim

The boozer vault.
Finally acquired a bottle of Johnnie Walker green label.  Everywhere has been out of stock for 2-3 months.  I'm aiming to limit myself to two bottles a month, but I've already gone past that for May.  I bought the four-pack Glenmorangie sampler while I was out.  I inquired at Surdyk's whether they'd be getting the Laphroaig Triple Wood back in stock.  They said they would, but had no idea when.  It wasn't on my shortlist, but now that it is unavailable, suddenly I really want it.  I'll wait a couple of weeks, and then turn to the actual shortlist of Ardbeg Uigeadail, Talisker 10, and Redbreast 12 (or Lustau).  The Glenlivet Nadurra is also an option.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

The boozer vault.
Chivas Regal Black and Chivas Regal Extra will do for anyone who isn't a fanatical Scotch person, say those who don't know how to pronounce "Islay".

The boozer vault.
Narrowing my choices for May. My primary choice is a bottle of Glenlivet Nadurra First Fill CS scotch. I've set a two bottle per month limit, which the Nadurra would meet, as I already bought the Johnnie Walker green, but I think I'll buy a third bottle come May. But I'm all over the map as far as choices. The shortlist for a third bottle currently holds the Ardbeg Uageadail, the Lagavulin 8, Hibiki Japanese Harmony (a bit overpriced at $80), the Glenlivet 15 year French Cask, the Glenfiddich 14 bourbon cask finish, and replacing my lost bottle of Glenfiddich 15 solera.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

The boozer vault.
I just gave my houseboy half a bottle of Disorono Liqueur to take home. I can't drink alcoholic beverages anymore on account of all the meds I now have to take. I'm gradually emptying my liquor cabinet. Most of this stuff is too expensive to pour down the drain.  Consider
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Kim

The boozer vault.
Bottle of Akashi delivered by old comrade "just passin' through". The angels guarding that bottle had a tough job, my man drives like Satan, or one of his mother-in-laws, is after him.

The boozer vault.
A local store has a Bunnahabhain 12-year gift set with two whiskey glasses for $50. I'm trying not to let the free glasses influence me, but it's a good whiskey without the glasses, so it's hard.

Vivekananda

The boozer vault.
I think I have a decision. Glenlivet Nadurra First Fill and the Talisker Distillers Edition. Though the Talisker 10, Glenfiddich 14, and Bunnahabhain 12 are possible alternates.

Vivekananda

The boozer vault.
(04-20-2021, 10:26 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Chivas Regal Black and Chivas Regal Extra will do for anyone who isn't a fanatical Scotch person, say those who don't know how to pronounce "Islay".
I will admit that I am not a huge scotch fan, even less so the single malts.  They strike me as too sharp on the tongue, too harsh.  Now, the Irish single malts (particularly Tullamore Dew and Sexton), I would commit minor felonies for.  Holy Bob, those are good.
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra

The boozer vault.
(04-25-2021, 11:50 PM)trdsf Wrote:
(04-20-2021, 10:26 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Chivas Regal Black and Chivas Regal Extra will do for anyone who isn't a fanatical Scotch person, say those who don't know how to pronounce "Islay".
I will admit that I am not a huge scotch fan, even less so the single malts.  They strike me as too sharp on the tongue, too harsh.  Now, the Irish single malts (particularly Tullamore Dew and Sexton), I would commit minor felonies for.  Holy Bob, those are good.
You are the person I give the Extra and Black to.

The boozer vault.
Pondering some changes. I'll wait on adding a Talisker to my collection and maybe wait on the Nadurra. I've got unexpected computer expenses, so the Bruichladdich Port Charlotte 10 will replace the Talisker.

Vivekananda

The boozer vault.
I didn't end up saving any money after all. The Bunnahabhain gift set had decent glasses, so I added it to my shopping basket at the store, but as I'm looking over what they have in planning for future purchases, my eye wanders across the Ardbeg Uigeadail. It's $20 more and doesn't come with free glasses, but I realized I wanted that a lot more than free glasses. All told, I was doing okay with the Bruichladdich and the Ardbeg, but as I'm leaving I spot that they're having a sale on Wild Turkey Rare Breed bourbon for $5 off. That's been at the top of my whiskey lists for a while, and I haven't bought any bourbon or rye lately, so I figured that I might as well get it while it's on sale. The three bottles cost as much as the Talisker and Nadurra would have, but maybe I'll revisit those whiskies again come June.

Vivekananda

The boozer vault.
Drizly just sent me a coupon for $5 off my first order. Not that I'd order through Drizly anyway, but they're a bit late.

Vivekananda

The boozer vault.
Ardbeg has a new release. "Matured in ex-bourbon American oak casks and heavily charred, Ardbeg Scorch (46% ABV) is said by the brand to give off aromas of soot and smoke while grilled fare and black licorice mingle with bold notes of medicinal lozenge."

[Image: ardbeg-scorch.jpg.webp]

Vivekananda

The boozer vault.
[quote="Dānu" pid='295625' dateline='1619539312']
Ardbeg has a new release. "Matured in ex-bourbon American oak casks and heavily charred, Ardbeg Scorch (46% ABV) is said by the brand to give off aromas of soot and smoke while grilled fare and black licorice mingle with bold notes of medicinal lozenge."

"...bold notes of medicinal lozenge"?  I'll stick with chugging Smirnoff with a handful of cherry-flavored antacids. Thumbs Up

The boozer vault.
Note to self: vermouth is more important than I thought it was, and Gallo and M&R no longer cut it. Dolin when possible, Noilly Prat at a minimum.

Also, Stirrings blood orange bitters are really good.

The boozer vault.
32 oz. mug with a Sam Adams and topped off with Spicy Hot V-8. Yum.

The boozer vault.
I'm wondering what kind of "grilled fare" is on that menu. Salmon? Steak? Pineapple for an upside down cake?
Is this sig thing on?

The boozer vault.
Solid food is off the menu. I'll eventually stop missing it.

The boozer vault.
Double post. I better think of something else to write, quick.

Oh, yeah. Millersburg Brewing has a maple bourbon barrel imperial stout. It's a punch in the face that you will enjoy.

The boozer vault.
I was looking all over the place for Tuborg double stout, they stopped making it in the '80s. Fuckers.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Dānu

The boozer vault.
Drinking some Lagavulin 16. I must say that I think this is the perfect whiskey. It's exceptional all the way around.

Vivekananda

The boozer vault.
Sampling the Glenmorangie La Santa. It has all the things I didn't like about the original Glenmorangie, but the sherry finish makes it a little more drinkable.

Vivekananda